1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any O-Gauge Rail Roaders Here?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by richard n koustas, Feb 3, 2005.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

O-Gauge, for those of you that don't know, is the 3-rail toy trains. The most recogized brand of course is Lionel. If you don't currently have any toy trains, maybe you have memories of Christmases-past?

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am working on building a model tramway at present but I have to admit that production is comming along a little slowly!!! [​IMG]

3. richard n koustas

I am working on my layout...it is 15x20 feet. been working on it many years. mine, too, is coming along very slowly. i now consider my train room the room of unfinished projects. what gauge are you modeling?

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still have the engine from the train set of my youth. My parents, due to our modest financial state, bought the set used at the Salvation Army thrift store. This was in the early 1960s. I have no idea what happened to the rest of the set.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For actual railroads, "Standard Gauge" is measured at 5/8" below the railheads, which is a width of exactly 4' 8 ½". Standard gauge is substantially universal with the exception of the former Soviet Union. O Gauge is built roughly on a scale of 1:48 from standard gauge. The track is 1-1/4"wide which doesn't equal a 1:48 scale from a real track but it is close. HO Gauge is based on a 1:87 scale and the tracks are 16.5 mm or .649" wide.

Now that information and $3.00 will get you a coffee at Starbucks!

7. richard n koustas

HO is half-O gauge. HO'er are usually prototipical modellers, O gaugers are usually like to play with trains. :D we have 3 rails, afterall. HO is a bit too small for my fumbling fingers. O gauge is just right, but a little expensive.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fair Enough! I would like to figure out how I can power my model tramway with an overhead cable rather than through the rail. I once watched a film called "malcolm" where one of the characters had a set like that, looked awesome!

9. richard n koustas