1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any of you music ministers ever had this problem?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by poodle78, Sep 9, 2007.

1. standingfirminChrist

From what the OP said, the couple tried to talk with him through emails... if I am understanding correctly.

It probably could have been handled better by all.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yeah, it is one thing to email on the baptist board. It's another thing at church--that is live body stuff. Don't rely on your deep business to be done by email---that is avoidance.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They specifically expressed a reservation about prerecorded accompaniment when they joined the choir. They expected to be able to minister without violating their consciences.
    Instead of respecting them and their convictions and working out a solution privately, you put them on the spot with the choir "vote" and expected them to accede to your will, and peer pressure, and violate their convictions.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't know SFIC, I think they took good advice on this one;

Mt 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
    16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
    17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
    18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
    19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
    20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

In this case the Pastor is considered the Church. I would suspect the Pastor also knew the people involved and made a decision as the Lord placed it on his heart. Hopefully their non-envolvement is their way of agreeing with the Church or it might be best they move to a Church more in line with their belief.

5. tenor

tenor New Member

In the choirs I direct, the members generally have no say in music selection. I pray and sek God's guidance on selection of music and its appropriateness for its place in the worship service or program.

A choir, or any other team, needs to function as a "benevolent dictatorship." Everyone in the choir knows that we do a variety of music and there may be some things you don't like and possibly things you do like someone else will not. We work for the ministry and not ourselves.

I am sensitive to this issue, but it's my job to make those decisions through personal prayer and in consultation with my pastor . Generally, I don't give options as to what we sing, when we sing it and if we use keyboard, trax or orchestra/band for accompaniment.

As a leader of choirs and other groups, I occasionally put things in that I personally do not like style wise that meet the textual and Biblical requirements.

The poster should talk with the face to face but not change plans for two people. Anyway the use of accompaniment trax are not theological or Biblical issues. This is at most a personal style issue.

Tim

#25 tenor, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

:applause: :applause:

Well said. :thumbs:

7. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somehow or other I have evidently given you the wrong idea.

1. They were not there the night we voted.
    2. They had never told me anything about not liking pre-recorded music.
    3. They were choir members before I ever came to this church. In fact, the husband was chairman of the search committee that recommended me to the church. The wife was on the committee. I was interviewed by the committee for over an hour, and never once did the subject of pre-recorded music come up.
    4. The night we voted, only one person expressed that if we used the CD she would not participate. Her objection was not that it was pre-recorded music, but that it is 'jazz.' (It isn't) The next Wednesday night, the lady and her husband were at church. I arrived before the service to lay out the music and she was sitting alone in the sanctuary. I said 'hello' and she said 'where is this Christmas cantata I've heard about?' I said that it was up in the choir room, we talked a bit, and I asked her 'who told you about it?' She told me that it was the woman who voted against it. She asked if it was 'rocky.' I asked what she meant by 'rocky.' She said 'if it has drums.' (By the way, it isn't rock, either)
    5. Only the first e-mail was addressed to me. The rest were sent to the pastor and I was copied.
    6. The one sent to me had nothing to do with pre-recorded music, nor did any of the ones sent to the pastor. Only after the meeting between the pastor and the couple did the pastor tell me they didn't like pre-recorded music.
    7. What, then, were all the e-mails about? The one sent to me had the subject: Sorry. It was to tell me, in the first paragraph, that they would not be singing in the Christmas program. The second paragraph was about how they didn't like this music and didn't come to church to hear such. She also said that visitors would have had the impression that they were somewhere other than a church, if they had heard it, and how sad she was that I and the others didn't see it that way. She ended the only e-mail she sent me by saying that she didn't want to cause division. She only wanted to voice her opinions and leave it to me to do as I saw fit. (I didn't respond because I thought that was it)
    8. Every e-mail sent to the pastor was about the evils of contemporary Christian music.
    9. (This could have been placed higher on the list) I have been told by many people that the choir has used pre-recorded music several times before for Christmas, Easter, and other musical services. It just isn't done every time. This would be the first time since I have been there that we will use a CD.
    10. The pastor had listened to the CD. He said if I wanted to use it, it was fine and he would back me.

#27 poodle78, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Churches shouldn't be a tyranny of the minority.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I am confused because of post 8:

10. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    last year...

ok, I see. Last year, I took it that it was that particular CD, or that particular style of music. That was also the way I took it this year, until the pastor told me they were against all pre-recorded music. His words were, 'I guess if it was a single violin they would still be against it.'

Very sorry, I should have been clearer.

11. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    more about last year

about last year: I had a Christmas musical that everyone wanted to do. It had drama, and those who wanted to do the dramatic parts were very excited about it. Unfortunately, our pianist was just not able to play it. Not that she is a poor musician, but she just couldn't play it. Now I didn't really find that out until the middle of October, as we had been working mostly on parts up until that time. So, I knew that if we were going to do this cantata, it would have to be with the CD. That was when the husband, this time, told me that if I used the CD he and his wife wouldn't sing. (The 2nd lady and her husband had not started coming to our church at this time)
    To my regret, I caved in and we did something else. Something the church had done before, and we were able to put it together in time. This was published by a firm that puts out music more in line with what the couple wanted. I hated it and will never do another one by this composer/arranger. Why? Because I like to hear Christmas music in Christmas musicals. This one had 'O Come, O Come Emmanuel' in it and that was it. There weren't any other songs remotely about Christmas at all in the whole thing.
    Now, I think that music publishers should get the idea that it would be good to produce 2 different accompaniment tracks. One standard, and the other in a 'lite' or more dignified version. Perhaps that would have headed off my problem this time. Then again, maybe not.

12. tenor

tenor New Member

The problem is that the publishers, even though they are Christians and consider what they do a ministry, are in business to make a profit.

I have no problem with this, they deserve to make money. Yet, it would be nice if in the accompaniment realm we had more options than trax, piano or full orchestra.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

There is no scriptural precedent for absolute unanimity in all issues.

Aaron came into this discussion with an agenda.

The pastor has allowed this to go forward. What's the problem?

Oh, I forgot...the agenda.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. My agenda is equity, justice and judgment.

Poodle (is this a guy?) came not to seek advice, but to find validation for his defacto judgment, that the couple are "troublemakers" simply because they have a conscience toward jazzy music in the worship of Christ, and the CCM group jumped on board to condemn them, as they usually do, without knowing the situation. I've never known anyone who expressed their reservations concerning the genre to have been fairly represented by the opposing side, and I seriously doubt it's happening here.

Isn't ironic that though the CCM side consider themselves more Scripturally sound, spiritually mature and free of the traditions of men, they are loathe to comply with the first principles of spiritual worship? E.g., that all that is done in worship be done for the edification of all.

In this thread they have asserted—vociferously—that there is nothing biblical or spiritual about their choice of music, it is merely their personal preference. And so you see what they are willing to do to a couple's conscience merely for the sake of their personal desires. Talk of agendas! And at Christmas time at that.

This isn't Christian at all. If Poodle (again, is this a guy?) can't put together a Christmas program in which all can participate in good conscience, then maybe he's in the wrong position. You'd be surprised at what a little bit of consideration and creativity can accomplish.

#34 Aaron, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry, no.

Your agenda is to malign anyone who listens to what you call "CCM." (an elusive definition, BTW). In re-reading this thread...you claim folks pile on the objectors. The overwhelming view I saw was to listen to what the pastor says. Find something wrong with that (you can't).

And I repeat, once again, my ignored statement:

There is no scriptural precedent for absolute unanimity in all issues.

Sorry that blows your "equity, justice, and judgement" to smithereens. I'll help you clean up the mess.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The error is obvious to the most casual observer. Scripture trumps the pastor. A primary duty of the pastor is to support the weak.

Second, the overwhelming view is really the contempt in which you and others hold this couple, not true laborers, troublemakers, trifling. So, yeah, I find the advice in this context wholly wrong, self-willed, cold and not anything remotely Christian.

Unanimity is irrelevant. Unity and deference in all matters of conscience is a mandate of love. Where you sin against a brother in that, you sin against Christ.

17. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are just plain wrong about this and you need to be told that you are.
    My question to the group was 'has this ever happened to you and how did you handle it?'

So far, no one has responded with a similar experience.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said, if you aren't creative enough to put a Christmas program together that all in good conscience can participate in, then you're in the wrong position.

By the way, would you be kind enough forward me the email address of this couple. I'd like to hear their side.

#38 Aaron, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  19. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being in the wrong position would preclude me from being kind enough to do this.:laugh:

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely.