1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Any one else think the Niv 2011 went to far in gender Inclusive language in revision?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will grant you credit, you are as much pro Niv as some here are KJVO!

Hvae you set your computer to search internet, if ANY negative posting appears anywhere, you rush to defend it?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The copyright is good for 95 years, so I don't think that's a consideration.

3. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Here's just one of the translators on the NIV committee:

Rev. Dr. Paul Swarup
    The Rev. Dr. Paul Swarup is a minister with the Church of North India in the Diocese of Delhi, presently pastoring at Christ Church, Noida. He holds a PhD in OT Theology/Dead Sea Scrolls from the University of Cambridge, UK. He is a visiting faculty at the Jesuit Seminary, Vidyajyoti College of Theology, Delhi and the Marthoma Seminary, Dharamjyoti Vidya Peet, Faridabad., Haryana. He was appointed to CBT in 2008.

http://www.niv-cbt.org/translators/

Always gotta keep one good Catholic on there to make sure the text stays true to the Whore.

4. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

That is applicable to personal publishings, not in the NIV's case which falls under a different statute which requires that the registration be renewed each 28 years. The last NIV was published in 1984 which meant that it was due in 2012, and the the newest version was published at the end of 2011. There are some tricky interpretations to the laws after 1978, so just to be on the safe side, they registered a new version which would now give it a 67 year extension.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well put, sir.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he's not Catholic; the Church of North India is Protestant. I would think if anyone has a bone to pick it would be the Catholics who are stuck with a Protestant on faculty.

7. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Almost every church in that Diocese (a Catholic term) is Roman Catholic. The Anglican church isn't too far off, and in this particular diocese appears to be in cahoots with all the other RCC churches (since they are in the same diocese).

Plus, he has an open-invitation to come and go as he pleases at a JESUIT institution. That's close enough to Catholic.

And that Catholics aren't concerned with being stuck with Protestants because Protestant churches have been joining the ecumenical and emergent church movement for decades now, not to mention that the scripts for the NIV are Catholic (VATICANus and Siniaticus).

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH MY! Where is a righteous Christian to go for a pure translation? The Byzantine manuscripts have been tainted with Catholicism from the earliest times - Constantine was a filthy pagan after all. And the KJV was translated by Anglicans - we never been able to trust the bloody English.

I've stopped reading the Hebrew scriptures because of the association with the Jews - they killed Jesus after all. ...and Paul's writing are suspect - wasn't he a Jew?

Personally I read only the red letters in my bible - and not the vowels.

If you arrange them using the Schrodinger equation, they speak God's word

Rob [/sarcasm]