1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any one familiar With "The Effectual Gospel?"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my cell group studying thru this series, and author seems to hve main point that we misunderstood Paull, in that we view the Gospel mainly JUST tot he lost, but most of the time paul and other Apsotles addressed it to the saved, to live by and in the message of Gospel, to realise that when saved, we are to contunue to realise and walk fully in that grace !

Quoted benjamin warfield, so sounded good to me!

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

Not at all familiar with that work, though I did find Warfield's text, "The Doctrines of Grace and the Canons of Dordrecht," online, where he references the "effectual gospel" concept.

Not sure he has the focus correctly identified in this work. I believe he intended -- or should have -- focused on "effectual grace" and how it applies to the believer. Though grace certainly applies to salvation, it's true effectiveness is in the way it empowers the believer to do things he/she could not otherwise do him/herself. This is the true mystery of grace, not that God's grace is such a miracle in its effectiveness toward salvation, but that it continues, seemingly in endless supply, to enable believers to do things they would not otherwise have the time, resources, ability, talent or wherewithal to accomplish.

I like to say believers should be burning grace like jet fuel, such is it's amazing supply to us.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that sounds exactlywhat his main point has been so far, that we as Chrsitians read and hear the Gospel as something sinners only need, but God wants us to continual rely upon and walk in the power that his grace from the Cross can supply in and thru us!

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well stated.

This is exactly right!