1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any one here believe a full three days, and nights?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ituttut, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Posted this on the Forum above. Seems most there believe in half days.

Hello Alcott. You will notice I did not quote the scripture. The “full” was added for purposes of whatever at the time of Jonah (who was in the belly of the fish, three full days((did they keep half days then))), so would Jesus be in the earth for 3 full days; regardless of how time was keep in either of the dispensations. There were not in Jesus’ day, or Job’s where the Jew declared a day to be half empty, or half full. Their time started sundown through sunup until a new day dawned at sundown. It is God that is the timekeeper, and not man. Man may believe he hung the moon, but it just ain’t so.

I’m am sorry you do not see the impossibility of a Friday Crucifixion. I presented the only possible solution to our Savior being in the earth for three “complete” days, and three “complete nights”, for this is what He said. Not very many people believe Him, do they?

The Bible is written in the way it is written for a purpose. Every word whether we believe it or not means something, in its structure. Something that should give people pause, doesn’t. It involves the verse we are talking about, and what He said in the beginning.

Are the following verses a contradiction; a mistranslation? Why does God reverse the way time should be kept in these verses? Or does He?.
    Genesis 1:5 ”…….. And the evening and the morning were the first day.: God is very definite as He speaks. This is the way His people have always kept time, viz. the day starts in the evening, at sundown, and the daylight day ends as the Sun is going down. Evening, and then Day. By God’s time then we know that Friday can in no way come close to the day of His crucifixion. We know this because of the wording that Jesus used.

Matthew 16:21, ”…….. and be raised again the third day.” And this is not the only reference to the third day. As we look at Matthew 12:40 we see a connection to Matthew 16:21. Verse 40 of chapter 12, ”For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”

Please look closely when God starts the day beginning actually in the evening in Genesis, but in Matthew 12:40 he begins with before 6PM first, followed by after 6PM. Jesus puts the day before the night? I wonder why, we should ask.

I can explain the why of the wording. Surely, I am not the only one able to figure this out. This is for your consumption, and those reading this thread. I’m posting this also on the Theology forum. Surely some has been shown how the Holy Spirit interprets these verses. It has to do with Jesus Christ’s crucifixion and arising. For Jesus to arise in the third day, means He had to be put in the Tomb in a first day.

The question is, why do we believe what the world believes, i.e. He was placed in the Tomb in the beginning of a new day, which begins in the evening at 6PM for the Jew. The only place we get this information from is the Catholic church. If not show me where we Baptist picked-up this little tid-bit of false information.

We have to answer why Joseph had to hurry to get Jesus into the Tomb, and why they did not have time to finish the burial rites. They had to get Jesus into the Tomb before 6PM that Wednesday, because of the High Sabbath Day that always follows the Preparation Day, Passover, and a new day would begin at 6PM Thursday. No burial could take place on a Sabbath Day, that required servile work. That Sabbath day was not Saturday, but the High Sabbath Day that always falls on the 15th of Nisan, which as you know is our April, this year by the Hebrew calendar would on the 24th, at 6PM.

To repeat, In the earth Wednesday at the split second right before 6PM Thursday, and arising at the split second of the ending on Saturday into Sunday at 6PM. He arose at the drawing near of the new day, just at its dawning. We either believe three full days, or we don’t. We either believe God’s Word, or the word of man.

Again, why do we follow the teachings of the Catholic church, in this and at least one other fallacy. I do not hold to these Holy Days, but if I did, I would at least not hold them on the same days that the pagans worship. Christian faith, ituttut Galatatins 1:11-12.

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes I do believe in the full three days and nights. I have heard a few ways of putting it, with the crucifiction day being either Wednesday or Thursday. What we do know is that Friday was a High Sabbath in addition to the weekly Sabbath on Saturday.

3. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Three days exactly: sundown Wednesday to sundown Saturday. But I do not believe this should be a point to cause division.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I went to a gun show today.

Which of the following does that statement mean:

a) I was there for exactly 24 hours

or

b) I spent part of my day there

Now, it could mean either. However, the only correct answer is b.

Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three full ones, but what I think matters little, what the Word and Christ said is what we should go by :) Three days.

6. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Sorry, but that's a poor analogy. Read Mt. 12:40 again:

"For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so
    shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of
    the earth."

7. Pistos

Pistos New Member

I agree with Jack... [​IMG]

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

In the Marine Corps we had a saying which would indicate how one were to go about following a particular procedure. It was: "By the book."

Christians could take a cue from the Marines. :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Simple enough to answer. To say I was there day and night does not demand 24 hours. You people have got to be kidding. I think you all are. No one seriously believes he died on any day other than Friday.

10. CubeX

CubeX New Member

The majority of the passages that referred to Christ rising from the dead refer to a perios AFTER 3 days. The sign of Jonah passage is the only one that can cause one to wonder in actuality. But, when this passage is taken to allusion, we can see that Christ was referring to the time period of his being in the grave to be LIKE Jonah's being in the belly of the great fish. That is not to say that it wasn't, but even if we include only 1 hr of the night after he died and only 1 hour of the night before he rose, that leaves us with only 50 hours assuming a 12 hour day and 12 hour night. But the Jewish system of day and night is different from the modern time schedule. I'll have to do more research.

I had an excelent article on this but I don't know where it was. I'll try to find the link.

-David

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You people have got to be kidding. I think you all are. No one seriously believes he died on any day other than Friday."

Uh, Oh, thanks for clearing that up for us now we can adjust our thinking because you told us to - got it.

NOT!

12. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

It may be possible to settle it by finding out what year Jesus was crucified in and seeing what day of the week the Passover fell on in that year.

Luke tells us that John began his ministry in the 15th year of the reign of Tiberius, which was Sept. 17 28 AD to Sept. 17 29 AD according to the New Encyclopedia Britannica.

Jesus was baptized by John sometime into his ministry as John had obviously built quite a reputation and following at the time Jesus came to him.
    This would safely put us into 29 AD.

Here are the days on which the Passover fell on the years in the time frame of Jesus death...

A.D.30 - Passover fell on Friday
    A.D.31 - Passover fell on Wednesday
    A.D.32 - Passover fell on Sunday or Monday
    A.D.33 - Passover fell on Friday

A Wednesday crucifiction would allow Jesus only about a one and a half to two year ministry.

We know it was three and a half, ruling out AD 30 and 31. AD 32 is quite obviously impossible.

{If we back up three and a half years from March AD33, we can even surmise that Jesus was baptized in October of AD 29, the 16th year of the reign of Tiberius.}

Obviously, I do not believe in 3 24 hour days, and neither did the rabbis of the time, according to their writings.

MR

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Pistos

Pistos New Member

Hi neighbor, i think you are just around the corner of middle street... :D .... OFFTOPIC

Why can't we really account it as it is? Sometimes being rational makes me more confuse? :confused:

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

If Friday was the High Sabbath, then He would have arose just as Monday was drawing near.

15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

It seems to me if we think Easter is to be observed shouldn't we believe His Word as to the number of days He was in the earth. Why do all the denominations agree that Friday is the day of crucifixion? Was Jesus right, or is tradition right? Do we follow right, or do we follow error?

But then again you are right, as Easter is man made for man, so it is better to follow error, than to try and bring His Word into it.

Truly a quandary.

16. Pistos

Pistos New Member

Isn't it they are using Hebrew Calendar not Gregorian Calendar?... As my memory stands right, Hebrew calendar is somehow similar with Hijrah or Hijri Calendar of the muslims...

How could we be certain with those dates? :confused:

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Did they have any old “whaling” guns there? That would have brought to mind Jonah in the “big fish”. No way for Him to get out of that “big fish”. The bible says Jonah was in that “big fish”, and it was in lots of water, and doesn't mention him stepping outside for a breath of fresh air. After three full orbits Jonah was then deposited on the ground. Christ Jesus had planned far in advance, so He could make it possible for us to either believe him, or somebody else.

I had to quit listening to other people, and concentrate on what He wanted me to see. In the quiet times with Him, I can see what He is saying to me in His Word.

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen!

19. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Sorry, but that's a poor analogy. Read Mt. 12:40 again:

"For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so
    shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of
    the earth."
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry JackRus. Didn't mean to step on your toes. I am just now going down the list as posted, and did not know you had answered our friend, DanielDavid.

20. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Semper Fidelis. Thanks for making us look good.