1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any other Marshall University boosters here?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Mar 2, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in Lawrence Co. Ohio, and have been a booster of Marshall University even while I lived in Cincy as a child. I witnessed their battle for football respectability, almost lost a bro-in-law in the 1970 airplane crash( He was an asst. trainer. He stayed home to honor a promise to work for a friend.), and have seen them at last reach the top 30 in the land in college football.

Famous football Herdsmen? Gunner Gatski(Pro HOF), Troy Brown (2 Super Bowl wins), Randy Moss, Mike Bartrum(Considered best long-snapper in NFL), Chad Pennington, & Byron Leftwich, just to name a few. I know there's a buncha others, but these are the ones I've MET!

GO, HERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have some good friends that live in Huntington and are HUGE Marshall fans. I am not a fan myself but I do pull for them cuz of my friends.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marshall has both Ohio State and Georgia on their 2004-5 football schedule. Hey, they wanted to be big-time & now's their chance!

MU coach Bob Pruett & Buckeye coach Jim Tressel are friends & rivals, their teams twice meeting for the 1-AA title while Tressel was coach of Youngstown State.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Almost all my family lives near Huntington and Charleston and in between. 3 or 4 of my cousins are Marshall alums ... My aunt and uncle have season tickets to the football game ... and my sister did when she lived there ... I always give her a hard time about Marshall. I am partial to Toledo myself at the mid major level ...

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best long-snapper in the game! Is that a joke? What are the graduation rates of the Marshall football program? How difficult is it to get into Marshall University? I hope Bob Pruett is more concerned about academics then is Jim Tressel!

6. Charlesga

Charlesga New Member

Not a Marshall booster here, but am an alumni of the University of Georgia and a season ticket holder at UGA.

We are looking forward to the Marshall visit in Athens this fall, although this game really scares me. I watched Marshall hang with Tennessee last year and was impressed. Of course, I was pulling for Marshall in that game!

Charles

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Go2Church, it's no joke about Bartrum's being rated BY HIS PEERS as the best long snapper in the game today. Don't believe it? Pick up any reputable publication that rates NFL players by position or special-teams jobs.

I cannot remember MU's grad rate, but it's pretty high, especially in comparison to several other schools considered perennial football powerhouses. And I'll take your word for it if you say OSU doesn't have a high grad rate, as I haven't looked into it since Tressel became HC. And I understand OSU's academics have perked up a bit which makes more options available for the student-athlete who doesn't plan as a HS senior to be a pro athlete.(Hey, ya gotta admire Robert Smith, former OSU-Mn Viking RB who gave up a mega$ career to become a doctor.)

As for gaining admission to MU, it doesn't seem to be too difficult. Many of my sons' peers are students there. (My oldest son declined to attend college in favor of becoming a Diesel mechanic, something he loves & pays quite well.) I believe their tuition schedule is posted in their website.

CharlesGa, I believe MU has a few more notches to go to be able to hang w/UGA(or OSU) in football, but by beating a quality Kansas State team last fall, they showed they're getting better. They've recently added a state-of-the-art library, and are building a medical-research facility, both of which will make MU more attractive for the student-athlete.

MU is just trying to elevate their football prog as Kansas State has done, & to do so, they hafta play the big guys such as UGA. We shall see what we shall see come Fall, God Willing.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still feel Toledo was ripped off Bowl-wise during the Travis prentice-Tavares Bolden years. Those years, Toledo's teams would've given any other college team a good game.