1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ANY prominent Christians teachers/pastors Hold to Modulism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, May 2, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks!

You are correct in this difference, as though subtle, not making this distinction can lead one to either errors of Modulism or tri trinity!

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

no, why?

btw, do you teach those around you to ask you father self for things in the name of your son self,

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying the ontological/identity distinction is wrong. But it does seem to philosophize and theologize eloquent to define things in western terms of philosophy (platonic mostly) when these concepts were probably not on the minds of the writers of Scripture.

This is partly what I struggle with. We try to explain things so finitely that we have to use jargon that no one understands. Yet the nuance and semantic is important to clarify. At the same time, the seeming paradoxes of 3 in 1 for the ANEs was nothing in their minds. What are we to make of all this?

And does it not seem that we who draw a sharp distinction between the 3 persons (identity) lead to tri-theism? Isn't that the seeming result? I have tried to avoid modalism so much, that this is where it might take me. Anyone else feel this tension?

(To clarify, I am a strict monotheist)

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point, thank you.

Bear in mind though, you are looking at an extremely 'brief' snapshot of time here during which the Word was in the form of flesh with it's constraints. I'm not convinced my analogy of father, son, and husband ROLES is so out of line with the order of things eternal:

And now, Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. Jn 17:5

Thanks. Still, you're drawing an opinion of the eternal Trinity from a very brief temporal snapshot.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm as Trinitarian as anyone else. Much of what I've posted here is playing the devil's advocate in order to draw out comments. I do however believe we will see only One in eternity.

(mandym, do you know what the white in bird poop is?)

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps we will see the one but perceive the three.

HankD

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still trying to figureout the part about jesus turning everything back over to the father, and then God shall be in all...

With it be the trinity dissolving into the Father than?

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think so - God is eternal and unchanging.

HankD

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His nature doesn't ever change, but didn't tGod the Son change by adding human nature in himself when He incarnated as God/man Yeshua?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the Logos is God, a spirit, He has a body it is not essential to His being.

HankD

12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Kyredneck, you said...

Good for you. You are correct.

There is no threat at all. The modalists simply view the triune nature of God differently than we do.

It simply gives the pharisees another opportunity to feel superior, and to point the finger of accusation.

And on and on it goes...

And by the way, I am a fully convinced trinitarian.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Modulism? Seriously, JesusChaser?

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Take a look at Revelations 4&5!

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Modalism is a heresy dealt with in the early Church!

Modalism http://carm.org/modalism

Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God. It is a denial of the Trinity. Modalism states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three modes, or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son and after Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous. In other words, this view states that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time, only one after another. Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ.

Present day groups that hold to forms of this error are the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation. These modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

In the Book of Revelation we see, perhaps as no where else in Scripture, the Triune nature of God clearly revealed and emphasized, particularly in the Apostle John’s vision of the throne room of God as recorded in Chapters 4 & 5.

#35 OldRegular, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
  16. Alive in Christ

Old regular...

I have been aware of everything you posted there for many many years. I know what they believe and of course I believe that they are not as accurate as we are regarding the triune nature of God.

However, The oneness people CLEARLY have an understanding of the "3-ness" of God, as we do...even though it is not as accurate as our view.

For that reason I do not put them in the same class as heretical cults such as the Jehovahs wittnesses, mormons, etc etc.

I have the scriptures as my only guide, as the scriptures teach us to do. I dont heed the "early church"

#36 Alive in Christ, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

yes....and Mr.Magoo had those really thick glasses to help him drive in traffic,and walk around in the city:thumbsup::thumbsup:

He saw just fine also

18. Alive in Christ

Great post there, Iconoclast

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you brother:laugh::laugh::wavey::laugh:

20. mandym

mandym New Member

And an extreme one at that. A modalistic god is not the one true and living God.