1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ANY Reputable Version produced By JUST a Single Scholar?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Oct 19, 2011.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read his version, but I was told by someone who knows and has worked with him that Jay Green barely knows a little Greek and doesn't know Hebrew.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

thanks! Looks like mr Green basically had just redone the KJV version, and updated the words to modern usage?

#22 JesusFan, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I'd say so.

Furthermor, on his OT interlinear, Green had really good help, but his NT interlinear is spotty at best. (He didn't listen like he should to his assistants.)

4. JesusFan

had his 4 vol in 1 set, and agree with you, really helped me to do OT studies, not so much in the New though!

5. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I think you know that I really like the Berkeley (now the MLB) but I didn't mention it because it was revised by a group of others later.
    I intentionally avoided translations by these individuals because the OP only asked for "reputable" versions (which is subjective). Knox (a Catholic) translated from the Latin. Moffatt notoriously moved verses around in his text; in his first he wrote stiff Scottish-English; in his second he used a very flawed Greek text. I have yet to read Weymouth completely but it is likely to be better than those above.
    It is not really all that new (1984). Anderson was a Lutheran professor of classical and biblical Greek and claims it was the result of 25 years of work. It has the epistles arranged chronologically after the Gospels. He also entitles chapters 1-9 of 2 Corinthians as "3 Corinthians" (similar to Schonfield's). Just looking at my shelves Richard Lattimore's NT translation is more recent (1996), or even more so James Webb Mealy's The Spoken English New Testament (2008).

#25 franklinmonroe, Oct 21, 2011
  6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I'm not sure exactly what your list represents; I'll assume it is just a random sampling of individually made translations (since there are many more not listed). In fact, the majority of all translations seem to be credited to individuals. Jay Green himself has produced several editions: a Children's KJV, a Teenager's KJV, the LITV, a KJV2, and a KJV3 for example. My impression when reading through the KJV3 was that it was NOT merely a reworking of the KJV. Jay Green (strong on TR) is often condemned by outspoken KJVOs.

Of course, some are not really wholly new translations. Wesley's (Webster's and several others) is a light revision of the KJV, Worrell's is a light revision of the ASV, etc.

#26 franklinmonroe, Oct 21, 2011
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love the MLB. I wish it could be updated.

You're right Franklin. I forgot about the "reputable" designation.

I'm sure you will like whatever Weymouth edition you can get your hands on. Most likely it will only be the 1936 edition. If you are able to secure the original 1903 version it will be rare and worth big bucks,I'm sure. I'd really like to see what his actual translation was like without the revisions.

Thanks for the info.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. I use a different NT interlinear when I need one, usually just software.

9. JesusFan

I had a CD narrated by Dr Gleason Archur, Gramcord. that had a Greek nt inlinear based upon Nav 1977/26 nestle CT, wished that still would be usuable, but Windows 8 no longer plays any of my gramcord 'stuff!"

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's tough! I've got Windows 7 on a new laptop, and it won't run some of my stuff.

11. JesusFan

Also, found out that my Logos software ONLY works with IE browser, and only up to version 8, so IF upgrade to explorer 9 now out, lose use of Logos !

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way past time to upgrade your old Libronix to Logos 4.

Logos 4 is compatable IE9.

Rob

13. JesusFan

How would one upgrade though?
    Buy entire new software package, or run and install logos 4 core?

Would my Logos 3 programs update on logos 4, or need to rebuy all of them?