1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any such thing as Satan's music?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by rufus, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you've said about Grant and Smith has been a little misleadng.
    </font>[/QUOTE]with all due respect to Smith and Grant, i said they are on the top of the pops. i do not think that was "a little" misleading. everthing else, you have to check if i misquoted the Bible.

2. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't "do" anything. Jesus said "if you love Me, then you'll keep my commandments".

If that's good enough for Him, it's good enough for me.
    </font>[/QUOTE]sir, are you listening to what you are saying?
    Where do you keep His commandments??? In your pocket? [​IMG]

i challenge you so search the Word of God to see what His commandments are and keep them, DO them.

James 2:17-22 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yes, but what you failed to mention was that it wasn't their "Christian" music that was popular among non-Christians, but their mainstream stuff.

I do, thank you.

4. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Singing communicates ideas and a message. Notice how you are forced to use an example of singing when the topic is specifically focused on music? Again, The Bible makes no moral claims about music in any capacity.

That is true, but there is most definately not a right or wrong musical style to worship God. I'll grant that there are musical styles more appropriate for public worship than private, but there is no way you can say that Christian rap or rock and roll is innapropriate if it is done in a spirit of true worship.

Okay, I've always thought of "the children of the wicked one" as being those who have been given the Law but continue in willful disobedience. In any case my apologies for being frivilous. I understand what you are trying to communicate.

No, I don't believe that. Music certainly has the power to get the blood pumping or sooth or a variety of things. It just doesn't have the power to communicate evil and good messages. It can't be morally evil or good in and of itself.

This is not a commentary on the inherent moral nature of music. You might desperately want it to be, but it isn't. David played a harp and soothed Saul. Music can be powerfully therapeutic, but it can't be morally good or evil.

The challenge that I pose to you doesn't really change that much. Please explain what musical styles are evil, and what makes them evil. You can make all the moral claims you want but when it comes down to brass tax you have to at some point reach a level of practical application by demonstrating exactly how your moral claims are true.

Why do say this as if I would disagree? What you are doing is simply limiting the musical styles that you would allow to fall into this category.

Why do you now revert to talking about songs when applying these moral labels? Do you see how your argument must always shift it's focus from music to songs? Please name for me one single solitary stinking piece of music that communicates hateful, lusty, or sensuous thoughts or feelings. While you're at it feel free to name one piece of music that glorifies God. When you get down to the practical application of your moral claims you can't avoid talking about WORDS, because only words can communicate moral and immoral ideas.

5. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but what you failed to mention was that it wasn't their "Christian" music that was popular among non-Christians, but their mainstream stuff.

Point taken with apology.

I do, thank you.
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG]

Matthew 5:13-16 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Some final thoughts:

Music can be judged in and of itself, this is true. But it would degenerate into a meaningless list of dos and don'ts if you don't have the entire backing of God's Word, His personality, and our creature/Creator relationship with Him.

Yes, and the doctrine of Separation, i did not come up with the term, you know [​IMG] . Ask your Pastor about it. And if he hasn't heard of it either, get yourself a good KJV study edition Bible. I recommend the New Open Bible.

Are you ready to meet Jesus? [​IMG]

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do say this as if I would disagree? What you are doing is simply limiting the musical styles that you would allow to fall into this category.

</font>[/QUOTE]No, i did not say this as if you would disagree. Don't get self-defensive! ;) I stated that it was to illustrate my position or something like that.

But, yes, i would be saying that in order to have music that refects the personality of God, it would limit the styles of music we can use.
    (I see you do agree that there are music styles that do not reflect the goodness and glory of God! [​IMG] )

There are rules to this "race", you know. and God is the Judge and Refree.

2 Timothy 2:5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

Still, when Moses and Joshua came down from the mountain, they didn't hear any WORDS. it was the sound of the noise of war.

And if you were cleansed of an EVIL SPIRIT, wouldn't you say that music has moral goodness in it, to say the least?

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Are you always this condescending?

I do know what separation means, thank you. It's just that the phrase is thrown about so often by the more rabid among us to mean something that the Bible never intended that it's lost any real meaning.

8. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

But, yes, i would be saying that in order to have music that refects the personality of God, it would limit the styles of music we can use.
    (I see you do agree that there are music styles that do not reflect the goodness and glory of God! [​IMG] )

how about music to reflect his wrath?

9. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

If you read Ezekiel 28:12-15, you will see that this portion of scripture is speaking of Satan. Tyre was not an anointed cherub, was not in the garden of Eden, was not Holy upon the hill. Satan was behind the King of Tyre. The discription is one that needs to be studied thoroughly by anyone to see that Satan has a part in music. He has a purpose for his knowledge and music is part of it.

10. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I don't even know what that means. I don't see how music by itself could reflect the goodness and glory of God. What I said was that there are musical styles which are more appropriate for public worship than others. Obviously using rap or rock and roll at a Sunday service would not be appropriate for many people. As far as reaching youth though, those musical styles certainly are appropriate.

What has this got to do with the price of eggs in China?

Actually it wasn't war. It was calamity. When Moses came down he saw the dancing and the calf. The Isrealites were engaged in all kinds of wickedness. Again, there is nothing here about music, plain and simple.

No, how could it? If music was a prescription for demon possession The Bible would say so. In any case it's your job do demonstrate how music could possibly be morally good or evil. You're the one making the claims but as of yet have not provided one shred of evidence.

11. rufus

rufus New Member

rufus, who started this thread, really thanks all of you for "HELP" on this topic.

rufus :(

12. Ruth

Ruth Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rufus, I am sorry that this thread was hijacked, so to speak. I did try my best to respond to your questions, but I think that possibly we may be talking at cross-purposes here due to a difference in interpretation of certain passages in the Bible. My apologies for not being of more help.

TheOliveBranch - we obviously do not see the same things in Ezekiel 28. If you wish to discuss this further, please start a thread in a more appropriate place and let's get everyone in on it!

Ruth

13. rufus

rufus New Member

Ruth, thanks.

I don't disagree with your interpretation of Ezekiel 28; I believe there is a dual reference, as often happens in Hebrew prophetic literature; things are said about the king of Tyre that are not historically actual; many scholars over the years have seen a "power" behind the throne of Tyre (like in Isaiah 14).

Ezekeil 28 describes the "power" behind the Tyrean throne as having "timbrels and pipes" (see Ezekiel 26:13). That is a reference to music and musical instruments.

Therefore, IF it is a veiled reference to Lucifer (in Hebrew means Light Bearer or Shining One), then he was a musical creature. IF he is now Satan, he potentially could use those skills to deceive and to kill.

Thanks for your Christian charity, Ruth.

rufus [​IMG]

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, no. I also cannot imagine playing "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" or "I Surrender All" as a trumpet call to battle. In a situation like the Alamo, maybe it would be fitting to for the last trumpet tune to be "Rock of Ages."

For those who actually have fought in battle-- what trumpet call-- if any-- did you hear? R&B, jazz, Hymns For the Family of God, or something else?

15. Ruth

Ruth Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm. Gonna have to think about that for a while, and do a little research. I can't rule it out offhand, but I am wary of reading meanings into something that is not actually written there when God told Ezekiel to direct this message to a specific individual. But you have given me something to consider! Thanks.

Ruth

16. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sincere apologies to Rufus if this thread has been more confusing than helpful.

There are alot of points here but it's just very jumbled. Just read through carefully. Maybe you could read the points (ideas and philosophy) given by Mike McK and Travelsong separately, and the points i was trying to make. May God lead you to the right conclusion!

Well, all i can say is, God never left us helpless in this world, and the Bible is available to point us the way.

17. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Oops....gonna be accused of talking about eggs in China again. ;)

[ February 26, 2003, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Su Wei ]

18. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Travelsong, I guess we are getting too argumentative to be helpful to anyone so i really do not wish to continue.

the fact of the matter is that God did not write in His Word theses four words "abstain from Satan's music". but it does not mean that there is no such thing. and therefore open the church to all kinds of impurity.

I have selected and shown you verses upon verses but you do not accept that as evidence. I have nothing more to say. [​IMG]

maybe you may go and do a study of the Bible yourself about music, and Satan and Separation, because i haven't heard a single verse from you to support your claims.
    (double oops!!! being condescending again!!!) [​IMG]

19. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you always this condescending?

I do know what separation means, thank you. It's just that the phrase is thrown about so often by the more rabid among us to mean something that the Bible never intended that it's lost any real meaning.
    </font>[/QUOTE]ah, no, i'm not always so condescending. But only under special circumstances. [​IMG]

I knew you wouldn't have liked me to ask you to live for Christ and do something for Him. But if it takes someone from halfway around the world to (lovingly) give you a piece of good advice, so be it! Get mad at me. But not at God, please. [​IMG]

I will pray for you! [​IMG]

20. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For all the other Fundametal, Separatists out there who left me to flounder by myself... :mad:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Triple oops!!! [​IMG]