1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any Ted Dekker Readers Here?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by thegospelgeek, Feb 26, 2009.

1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

If you are a Dekker reader, do you think his books have changed?

I just Blink and am wondering if anyone noticed what I did?

2. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I believe Blink is a rewrite of an older book.

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

According to the insert in my copy, the one I read "Blink of an eye" was modified slightly for a movie. But it was about an Islamic girl and an Atheist guy. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read, but I was REALLY disappointed from a Christian perspective.

Going back to "House" and "Skin", I don't see much of a message in the books. Does anyone else agree? Disagree? What do you think?

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I think there may be an effort on some writers to be good "clean" writers as opposed to a Christian writer.

I did not like house, but I thought skin was good.

5. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Skin was a good book, as well as House, but I just didn't get a Christian message from them. Maybe you are correct. Maybe the intent is to be "clean" and not nescessarily 'Christian".

Some of the music my son listens to (Skillet,Red,etc) falls into this category, music by Christains not Christian music.

I really lked RED, White, and Black and thought Showdown was extremely good. Just don't seam to get the message that those books gave from his new stuff.

6. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

That is true enough

7. The Shark

The Shark New Member

Better fiction

If we are talking about fiction giving a Christian message, we are talking about the wrong thing. Fiction is not supposed to give messages, it's supposed to entertain. If you want to send messages write nonfiction. That's what it's for.

The above is the opinion of the author of THEY ALSO LIVED, a book of 75 short-short stories unlike anything now in print. This is strictly entertaining fiction. In fact it's the closest we have ever come to Christian "pulp" fiction. The characters (who you will not find in a prairie romance or a C.S. Lewis fairy tale) are gangsters, cab drivers, alcoholics, nurses, loan sharks, hardhats, etc., --and yet each story has a Christian content. If you learn something from one of the stories that's fine, but if you don't the author doesn't care, as he isn't writing Sunday school lessons with dialogue.

I think it's about time a writer took this attitude. "Lesson fiction" has ruined Christian fiction for too long.