1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Any writers here?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jun 15, 2001.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you like to write for print??

2. tlange

tlange New Member

I would like to, but I am always faced with the ever-present question of "What to write?" and if would be even good enough to print!

3. Rockfort

I have self-published a book of short stories about a fictional singles' group in a fictional Baptist church in a fictional Texas town. I have made some revisions and am almost ready to try again to sell the rights to a publisher, although Christian-based fiction is still a very narrow genre. The name 'Rockfort' I use here is not my name, but is the name of the lead character in the series of stories. The name of the town is Sandville. So he is Timothy Daniel Rockfort-- a *rock fort* in a world of sinking sand. The others in the group include a woman who is very smart and spiritual, with whom Tim has an 'open-ended' relationship (although one story I have not ilncluded in print is one where they become engaged). Tim has 2 close male friends; one of whom does not take church too seriously and comes about half the time, the other has a habit of speaking out of turn at the wrong times. One character who gets a lot of interest is Annie, a flirtatious young receptionist who always cozies up to male visitors and usually ends up disappointed. Every story has a moral, per se, and the subjects are probably to be expected... career/business problems, jealousy, 'falling' for the wrong person, misunderstandings. The one which seems to draw the most feedback is one in which 5 of the group encounter a tornado while driving on a lonely rural highway.

I also write poetry, placing in our county poetry contest 7 out of 10 years. Fortunately most of the state poetry society chapter who do the judging are Christians, so they don't mind at all my references to God.

Finally, I have written some dramas our church singles have performed; mostly comedies or parodies. One was a comical murder mystery which uses locally familiar sites and trends, as well as zany character names such as A.C. Sparks (an electrician), Josephine Leaks (a plumber), Joseph Eikenhammer (a carpenter), Anna S. Crow (a realtor), and Peter J. [Pete] Moss (a gardener).

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: Rockfort ]

4. Contender

Contender New Member

I published *The Pen Pal Newsletter* for 12 years (paper version). Discontinued it due to lack of finances (can't go far on disability). My readership was mostly inmates. Now spend my time on my web site and rubbing shoulders with aspiring Shakespeares on this forum.

5. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that most people become prolific writers here on the board, and what's good about the whole thing is that the writing becomes published immediately. I guess that includes me. Now the only thing I have to watch occasionally is, that I may avoid putting my big foot into my mouth! ;)

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I write textbooks for high school and college and do not make a lot of friends out of it!!

Nor a lot of money, but that's a given. Usually sell the books for x dollars rather than hope and pray for royalties!

7. Footwasher

Footwasher New Member

It is my calling from God to be a writer for His good purpose. I have no desire to write about anything except God and His Word.

I am still young, however, and I am not ready yet. I have a lot of growing and maturing to do before I can begin my writing career. I believe God will let me know when it's time.

In the meantime, He has called me into online ministry (I am a prayer board moderator on another site), and I believe this is part of my preparation.

Actually, I guess you could say I already am a writer. I just don't make any money at it. [​IMG]

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Footwasher ]

8. Grace

Grace New Member

I write for fun. Sometimes it's just a cry from my heart to God that I wanted to write down so that I could read it later and remember how faithful My God is.
    I also write papers for teachers to cut there fingers and bleed over. I thought that I was a good writer...and then I started college (sigh) Now, what I write, (unless it's a card or a note) stays pretty much in my own personal journal.

9. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

In preperation for my future career as a systematic theologian and bible prof (maybe ;) ) I write essays for my future systematic theology book [​IMG] which some are on my website

I don't know if I will actually ever publish anything though, remains to be seen. I believe for now I am called to more of a pastoring ministry.

Until next Post, Adam

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I've had individual poems published in national and international anthologies, and I have also published a book of original poems entitled *Songs of Solitude* in which I also did the artwork and design.