1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anybody heard of Benoni Stinson?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Jay and Kelly, Nov 20, 2005.

1. He was the pioneer of an important Baptist denomination. I have some difficulty finding chuches that are w/i his denomination,of Baptist!

Let me know if you have any info. I will discuss the details with any informed replyer.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The General Association of General Baptists is the direct descendant of Stinson's efforts:

http://www.generalbaptist.com/

The Free Will Baptists, though not directly connected to Stinson, have similar doctrinal views, including general atonement and free communion.

http://www.nafwb.net

More from Stinson, courtesy of the Baptist Library Online:

WRITINGS OF BENONI STINSON

[ November 20, 2005, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jay and Kelly, I am not sure where you are located. The majority of the churches of the General Association of General Baptists are located in what would probably be considered the midwestern United States - Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois being the strongest areas.

4. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

I once read the history of the General Baptist denomination founded by Benoni Stinson. There is an interesting fact I remember about it.

Stinson was affiliated with a Calvinist Baptist church. After a new church was started as an arm out of the Calvinist church, Stinon joined the new church and they rejected the Calvinist doctrine. It was from this movement that the General Baptist denomination sprang.

The General Baptist denomination for the first few years of it's existence held to the doctrine of perseverance of the saints. Ultimately, they reasoned that if they were going to reject Calvinism they should reject it altogether and voted to discard the doctrine of perseverance. Since that time (I forget the exact date) they have consistently preached "falling from grace" just like the Methodists, Campbellites, Freewills, Pentecostals, and others.

Mark Osgatharp

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be interested in knowing the source that pinpoints Stinson's deceit.

6. Mark Osgatharp

rsr,

After making that assertion I went back and re-read that portion of the history and decided that I had originally read more into the account that was there. I revised my post and offer my deepest apologies to the memory of Mr. Stinson.

Mark Osgatharp

7. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

8. Mark Osgatharp

Nope what?

Mark Osgatharp