1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone Cruising This Year?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is our favorite vacation (the ship IS the destination) and did Alaska 2 years ago, the Panama Canal last year, and back from a two-week Hawaii cruise this spring.

Some great bargains (like Baja or out of Galveston) and lots of fun. Anyone have a cruise planned or share your story?

2. BillyG

BillyG New Member

Maybe a December cruise again.....out of Charleston.

Love crusing! :laugh:

Billy

3. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Never been on a cruise. Maybe one day ....

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found they are NOT expensive (well, some ARE but you can have a great time on a budget).

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=21782

This is an example. Under $700 for a picture widow room on a mainline (Royal Caribbean) for 7 day Mexico/Caribbean out of Galveston.

$1400 for 2, + 140 tips (mandatory) = total cost.

10 meals a day, gourmet quality (6 course, $50 a person if at a regular restaurant)
    Room with all amenities
    7 evening shows
    first run movies
    4 different ports to get off and shop, tour
    swimming
    rock wall
    lectures and demonstrations
    music
    bingo
    gambling (if you're into that)
    and a ton more, all included in the cost

The wife and I just spent five nights in Rockford. Lodging was $500, meals more than that (I had to pay for the grandkids :laugh: ) with NO special shows, etc. And the worst part - every day we woke up in Illinois!

I figure a full week there would be the same as a cruise. Not a "bargain", but for what you get, the best vacation dollar around. And we had many Brits on holiday. Fly cheap and cruise cheap with the exchange rate.

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Thanks for the link. My wife has always wanted to go on a cruise for our 25th (this December), so we am thinking of going to the Pastor's Conference at First Baptist Jacksonville (her suggestion - she knows I'd love it), followed by a cruise leaving out of Florida somewhere (my surprise). Would be grateful for any suggestions.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I love to cruise. It gets us away from everyone else and together with each other.

We are going on Royal Caribbean October 7-14 to Jamaica, Grand cayman and Cozumel. We are celebrating our anniversary and booked a balcony. By the way, there is a good website to use for investigating stops and activities. http://cruisecritic.com/ It's not a Christian source at all, but you can use it as a source for info.

Bob is correct about how relatively cheap it is if you search.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The conference is Feb 1-5 and I found the GREATEST DEAL (thank me later) for you. $700 for TWO people in a cabin with oceanview to cruise FROM JACKSONVILLE on Jan 26-31 (five days before the conference) on the Celebration. It is a smaller, older ship but hits Key West, the Bahamas, etc So come a week ahead of conference and enjoy 5-day cruise for unbelievably cheap.

I'm serious about this opportunity. I will link you to my travel agent who does us really good, if you desire. Email me

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=19283

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Most all the people I know including myself are just cruising for a bruising.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm with Dr. Bob! After my wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon with Royal Carribean, we were hooked. We went a couple years ago when she was 5 months pregnant, and now that she's pregnant again, she wants to go again. Man, most women crave weird food...my wife craves a $2000 cruise. Any more kids, and we might go bankrupt :D

I believe it's either '08 or'09 RC will be releasing their newest line titled Genesis. Bigger than the Freedom series released in '06. I've only been on the Voyager lines, and that was a city in itself, so I can only imagine what the Freedom line and Genesis line will be like! Maybe this fall I'll take the wife on the Freedom...

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I've been trying to get my Mr. Griffin on a cruise for years. He won't go. He's a big skairdy kat in this arena. Every time I've about got him ready to go, something happens on one and it's all over the news.

Please post about the ones you go on. I'll have to cruise vicariously.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We're cruising this year too - but way different than the kind of cruise you do. ;) The meals are all made by me (shopped for ahead of time and brought on board), the cabinkeeping is done by me, I have 4 children along and bad weather guarantees sleeping in damp beds. LOL!! Here's the "cruise ship" - http://www.seekone.com/ann/summer2003/IMG_2711x.jpg

Here's the captain and first mate - http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/annsni/BobandI.jpg

And here's the crew/guests - http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/annsni/of50590442.jpg

But I'd LOVE to do the kind of cruise you're talking about! Maybe someday.......

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beautiful sail boat! That is also a great way to cruise... but if you have kids along, why are you still cleaning up the cabin? :laugh:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the Health Department might still have jurisdiction on the water. ;)

Besides, 6 people in about 380 square feet REQUIRES being neat and organized. It's just a matter of sanity.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an 8088 ibm computer you could use as an anchor! :laugh:

16. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I never have but would love to....cruise around Fiji etc out of Sydney.......unfortunately there was a terrible sad incident in recent news which is too sordid to recount on the board but it has dented the reputation of cruising and I for one will not be cruising for some time ........

The Carribean sounds gorgeous as an option however........

17. By Grace Alone

By Grace Alone New Member

Alaska Cruise !

Hi !
    Yeah.... I suppose I'm a cruise nut.

I'm coordinating a Group Mission Trip/Cruise in Alaska for June 2008.
    No, I am not a Travel Agent.
    Just love cruising...
    love coordinating groups....
    love the Lord Jesus....
    and love opportunities to point others in His Direction.

Anyway....
    we will bring a Pastor onboard with our Group. He'll do the Bible Studies for the group.
    Also.... we bring a Christian Singer with us. She'll do a concert.
    And in one of the Ports, we will do a "Mission Day".

Here is the website for the Group Cruise: www.Alaska2008.com
    check it out.
    We'd love to have others join us !

Oh.... and I booked another cruise just today.
    I told you I was a nut.
    This one sails out of Galveston.
    It's the Voyager of the Seas.....
    sailing Dec. 28, 2008. :thumbs:

18. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Thank you Dr. Bob, I looked at it, and it is an exceptional price, however, being a bit of a land lubber, I don't want to spend two days out of the five at sea. However, I will no doubt choose a cruise from this website. I appreciate you thinking of me though!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow...sounds like great fun! You'll love the Voyager...I've been on it twice!

20. By Grace Alone

By Grace Alone New Member

:godisgood: ...,yeah !