1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone ever paint plastic laminate (or formica)cabinets?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Rachel, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Anyone ever paint plastic laminate cabinets, or formica is another name for them I think? I tried researching this online and they say it can be done. Then we went to Lowes tonight and the 'paint' guy showed us paint to do it, they even have some that says you don't need to sand it first.
    So hoping someone on here has done this and it has turned out great for them?? We are about to redo our kitchen.

Rachel

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it helps Rachel, I work in a Paint Factory as a Paint Chemist, and the answer is Yes and No!

Yes you can paint it, but no you cannot paint bench tops as you will have to relaminate them which is not all that difficult. Paint will not stand up to the punishment that they recieve!

First you do have to wet and dry sandpaper the laminex. All paint needs a "key" in order to stick into the surface. Yet once you have sanded you need to wash down with degreaser to remove the plastisciser that you have sanded out of the laminex, following that you apply one coat of Oil Based Undercoat and then follow up with Two coate of Oil Based Enamel. I did my kitchen in this fashion over five years ago and it is still holding up like the day it was done.

I am not all that familiar with Paint Brands in the U.S, yet I know of one brand called "Coranado" that is known to be of high quality for jobs like yours.

3. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Ben thank you for your reply!

Have you ever heard of that paint that can be used on formica, glass, etc. that says you don't need to sand at all? They have it at our hardware store. It says you just need that kind of primer and paint to do the formica, I can't think of the name right now.
    We are buying a new counter top so we won't be using that paint on that.