1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone get out of KJV?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Emily, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOTICE: Any posts which violate Baptist Board posting rules and/or Bible Versions/Translation Forum guidelines will be deleted without reservation or explanation. NO EXCEPTIONS!

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Well, specifically, knowledge is power.......

That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. (1Cor 2:5)

3. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Timothy, I think what he is saying in effect is "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.Because you have rejected knowledge, I have rejected you..." Hosea 4:6a (NKJV)

4. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Sorry! Eeek! :eek:

Perhaps I should get married and maybe a wife would temper my comments! ;)

Ahem, back to bed....... [​IMG]

5. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

:mad:

Typical, typical, typical......
    Kevin is correct about my comment, not timothy. Equating the wisdom of men to having a good working knowledge of the Biblical languages is belittling, to say the least. I think I should not digress here, and start another post somewhere. [​IMG]

6. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

The Lord here refers to the generally accepted modern principles of textual criticism? Sorry, no. That's the wisdom of this world and a kind of knowledge that puffs up but edifies not. Science, so called.

Look back a few verses:

Hos 4:2 By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.

This is the lack of knowledge the Lord refers to.

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

:mad:

Typical, typical, typical......
    </font>[/QUOTE]LRL, please show me your power in Christ.

8. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Timothy, while your assessmant is true, the secondary application applies (sorry for the redundancy)..i.e. ignorance destroys. Note too that he agrees with the principle behind Hosea 4:6. Knowledge is good, as long as it's based on love. 1 Cor 8:1b. [​IMG]

9. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I have been saved for about 16 years, 15+ being taught from the KJV. I have been a member of four different churches, two which have been KJVO. I left my last church because of some questionable practices. It was KJVO. I have found a new church, but was hesitant on joining because it did not take the KJVO stand. This has begun my quest on the KJV and MV's.

I have a great fear of leaving the KJV. I know the arguments, the stands, the backing for it's text. But I am also in a position that God has placed me in, and I believe he is showing me something about this stand. I don't believe I will turn from the KJV, but I can no longer believe it is the Inspired Version.

I think what is the most frightening is that I may have been decieved. It takes great courage to turn from something you have been taught, and believed for so long. The people who believed along side of me were very dedicated Christians, very learned, and very much want to please the Lord. They are a group of people that have their focus on doing His will, and living apart from the world. But what I have found is that the KJVO position has given a somewhat "superior stand", setting them apart from not only the world, but from other Christians.

I am now a member of this new church, and I am trying to learn, with my heart open to truth, and praying that I will see, not blindly following, but with the back-up needed to defend the stand I must take.

10. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TheOliveBranch,

One thing I have discovered is that we can still cling to the KJV as the word of God and memorize everything it says even if we don't categorically dismiss other versions as being from the devil. There are some truly bad versions out there that we need to avoid and warn others about, and in my opinion, this would include the paraphrases.

The KJV will never lead us into error. The KJV will never fail us. What we need to foresake is not the KJV and certainly not God, what we need to foresake is the false doctrine of reinspiration, the false doctrine of exclusiveness in salvation, the false doctrine that the KJV is the only acceptable translation and all others are products of an anti-Christ spirit.

Use the KJV, TheOliveBranch, and use it for the glory of God. It is the Word of God!

Jason

11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe 110% that the Holy Spirit gives each individual believer certain abilities and certain jobs to do for Him. And I believe that He may make changes within any individual believer as He chooses. For example, He may send a missionary back to his native land, or make a poor speaker into a wonderful teacher.

If you believe the KJV is the only BV YOU should use, then by all means stay with it! Just don't allow the devil to convince you that the KJV is the ONLY valid English Bible translation, nor convince you of the opposite tack-that the KJV is no longer valid. Just open yourself up to the guidance of the HOLY SPIRIT, and HE will steer you into doing His will far as Bible versions or choice of home church goes.

But always remember, each believer is working for THE SAME GOD AS YOU ARE, and the work He has for one believer, which may not seem important to you is important to GOD or He wouldn't have it done. He may want YOU to work exclusively from the KJV while He may want ME to work from another version or versions at various times. But it's all for the same purpose-to lead the lost to Jesus. The God who made us all different enables us to use different methods of presenting the one unchanging Gospel to the different non-believers, so run with vigor the particular course God has made for you.

12. Walls

Walls New Member

Good posts Jason and Robycop!!!