1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone spring for a umpc yet?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, May 31, 2010.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me neither :laugh:

3. LaymansTermsPlease

I'm evaluating several models and will let you know what I decide, and a review after I take delivery.

Well, what I get may not be helpful to you depending on OS choice. I'm more interested in Windows CE than Android (but that's because I'm a C# .NET programmer, so I can target the compact framework and write custom apps for it. Not interested in getting up to speed with the java based Android SDK.

Not everyone who doesn't want Android would want to fiddle with CE either. For Windows type apps out of the box, Windows 7 or XP tablets are what most non-programmers would want. However, those full OS tablets are expensive, and I'm looking at models ranging from 200 to 250 dollars, running release 3 of Windows CE 6.0.

My Toshiba e-310 Pocket PC is failing me, even after trying a new battery. This little ~7 year old pocket PC has been my bible reader and done wonderful duty. If I could wait a little longer, Windows 7 Mobile stuff will be out, but I need a replacement now. At least there's a Silverlight library for Win CE 6.0...but I'd have to use Managed C++ instead of C# for it, lol.

I want a 7 inch WinCE tablet cause 10 is too much sitting in church or even just weighing in hand, but the tiny little Pocket PC is too small to replace with same size.

Olive Tree Bible Reader and the NET bible I bought for it is my killer app. I've had some people online at mobile reader fan sites test out Olive Tree on some plain jane Windows CE 6.0 Chinese tablets. Since they only have a Windows Mobile or Pocket PC version, it will likely take a few extra DLLs harvested from my old Toshiba to get it to work in plain Win CE. But I've been told that it is a JOY to see on the 7 inch screen from someone else who used the reader for many years on a small Pocket PC like I have.

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had olivetree on mobilepro units (Wince 2.?) Was fairly good on those old rigs.

I read a review of the Smartq v7 and the reveiwer indicated that the manufacturer had done something to the ce that they ship on it. Other reviews seem okay???? not sure.

I've looked at it due to the three operating systems they ship with. Thought I could pick the best one.

My son is also looking at some of them and likes the ce versions.

Not sure if he or I are going to spring for one or not.

He was told that Best buy is supposed to have some tablets coming next month. I've been kind of waiting to see what they get in and price etc.