1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AOL 8.0 - no more pop-up ads

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by bb_baptist, Oct 16, 2002.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

NEW YORK -- America Online's mix of music, lights and member-driven pronouncements for the release of AOL 8.0 hit a crescendo Tuesday when the ISP's chief executive just said no to pop-up ads.

"Starting today, AOL will no longer sell pop-up advertisements," AOL Chief Executive Jonathan Miller

2. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

And as soon as they say yes to decent connections, I might go back to them.

I'm so disillusioned with aol.

3. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I don't have AOL either but am sure that hundreds of BB members use AOL.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I do. Mostly because of Slingo and the great AOL radio.

We were supposed to boycott them a couple of years ago and I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Mike

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No more pop up ads? Really?
    This is a trick, right? [​IMG]
    I didn't upgrade because I like 7.0
    Plus touching anything on AOL is pretty scary, and if you run into any problems the only answer they can give you is "now I want to to clean out your cache and if it doesn't work call us back". If that doesn't work and you call them back, they tell you to restart your computer. If that doesn't work they tell you to clean out your cache again. If that doesn't work you need to restart your computer.
    With my last problem they wouldn't even talk to me because my name changed, and I couldn't prove I was the right person. They had no problem accepting the money for the account from the supposedly fake me, but they had to talk to the fake me to help the real me, and they weren't accepting that I was both of us. ROFL
    Gina

6. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm still on 6.0 mainly because everytime I tried putting 7.0 on my computer, 7.0 couldn't "find my modem." The brains in charge of aol didn't know what to do about that one. Hopefully 8.0 can find it, because I hear 8.0 is pretty awesome.

God Bless!!!

Adam :cool: [​IMG]

7. SueLyn

SueLyn New Member

I'm a beta tester for AOL and have been since 4.0, in fact I have tested the 8.0 version since the beginning. I've had very few problems with it, on a whole. Primarily all I have to do is...keep an updated version of the software being tested on my computer and use it whenever possible. I kept GM 7.0 on my computer until GM 8.0 was released, this is just a safe guard plus my son hates using the beta versions when he comes home for visits. Next, I send in bug reports and keep up with known issues during the test period.
    With 8.0 there is a lot of fluff, that is what I call it anyway. There are several desktop themes to chose from and different colored tool bars. There is an AOL Companion, so you can check your mail, search, get the weather...so on and so on. There are new features on the Buddy List and you can change your Welcome Screen to suit your needs, color also. No doubt, you will run into problems with AOL sometimes. I always pick up the newest version on a CD as soon as it is released, just in case something happens I can uninstall and then install it again.
    Personally, I like 8.0...I seldom have connection problems.
    And, it's true, the pop ups are gone!
    For 8.0, go to Keyword: Upgrade
    Sue