1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AP Writers Claim Their 'Poll' Shows 'Majority Harbor Prejudice Against Blacks'

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... Stop. Right. There. Obviously, there is a reality disconnect.

Anyone should recognize that it's impossible for a higher percentage of a a group (79%) to express "explicit (anti-black) racism" and for only 64% of that same group to hold "anti-black feelings." That the survey obtained this result proves beyond doubt without going further that its determination of what does and doesn't constitute explicit and implicit racism is inconsistent and flawed to the point of rendering its results useless.

Continuing:

The explicit racism measures asked respondents whether they agreed or disagreed with a series of statements about black and Hispanic people. In addition, the surveys asked how well respondents thought certain words, such as "friendly," "hardworking," "violent" and "lazy," described blacks, whites and Hispanics.

This is so intellectually vacant it's hard to believe it was published.

Simply put, if someone is willing to endure a survey as painful as this (I'll discuss that point eventually), one may believe that certain group has more or less of a particular characteristic for reasons which have nothing to do with prejudice or racism. For example, if you're familiar with crime statistics broken down by race which consistently show blacks involved with violent crime at a rate that far exceeds whites and you indicate at Survey question RAC 11 that "violent" is an adjective which describes most blacks "slightly well," you probably tripped the survey's "Racistometer," when all you've actually done is recite reality. Similarly, if you are aware that the welfare and education systems have inarguably done serious damage to the life prospects of millions of black kids for at least two generations, a "slightly well" or "moderately well" answer as to whether "most blacks" are "irresponsible" will probably cause the "Racistometer" to go into the red.

If you believe, as I do, that the survey is already irretrievably absurd, wait until you see the following, as we dive headlong into Cuckooland:

The same respondents were also administered a survey designed to measure implicit racism, in which a photo of a black, Hispanic or white male flashed on the screen before a neutral image of a Chinese character.The respondents were then asked to rate their feelings toward the Chinese character. Previous research has shown that people transfer their feelings about the photo onto the character, allowing researchers to measure racist feelings even if a respondent does not acknowledge them.

I would call this methodology horse manure, but it stinks far worse than any equine excrement I've encountered. It wouldn't pass muster in the third grade at a decent school.

Oh, there's more:

... All the surveys were conducted online. Other research has shown that poll takers are more likely to share unpopular attitudes when they are filling out a survey using a computer rather than speaking with an interviewer. Respondents were randomly selected from a nationally representative panel maintained by GfK Custom Research.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...y-harbor-prejudice-against-blac#ixzz2AeHqwDX5

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Here is an easy test. Write a one question poll: Would you be happy if your adult son/daughter brought home their (news to you) black fiance?

I would not have been happy.

3. Walguy

Walguy Member

Not even if he/she was a union member?

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Is she saved?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    do not let Bill derail the thread

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I read all that "stuff", "garbage", "bias", (I'm not sure of an appropriate word that can be used in public) for this poll. My eyes glazed as I read the poll questions. Then, my ire rose, as I noted the actual percentages of response in key areas when compared to the headline "news".

Further, based on a little over a thousand responses, this poll reflected the views of millions of Americans!

The pollsters selected the people to respond and even gave some computers so they could respond. Learned a long time ago, that it's easy to obtain the poll results desired by targeting the responders and tailoring the questions to get the desired response.

This poll reminds me of the bias used by a local TV station during the run-up to the 08 elections. I was keeping an eye on a number of the more reputable polls, at the time. This TV station only reported the results of the poll most favorable to Obama. They, in effect, were cheerleaders urging voters to join their pep rally.

IMO, it's a similar situation here. Cheerleaders wave this pep rally news banner to vilify anyone NOT pulling for the "home team".

#6 Oldtimer, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Nor, the complainer about derailing other threads. ;)

8. billwald

billwald New Member

>>I would not have been happy.

>Not even if he/she was a union member?

Since you asked . . . at least on the Left Coast another generation or so "white" will be a minority group but until that happens and in the rest of the country the grand kids will have enough problems without adding being black to the economic mess.