apoleia

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Beth, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Beth

Beth
    Expand Collapse

Our pastor gave a very good sermon on Sunday on 2 Peter 2:2.

I wrote him an encouraging letter this week, with some more thoughts on apoleia.

(the blue is the letter I sent him)

I examined apoleia a bit more. Just a quick note, which I am sure you are aware of....it was interested to see apoleia associated with greed and money.

1 Timothy 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
    10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Isn't this exactly what happened to Judas? He is called the son of apoleia. (John 17:12) He had control over the money bag, and, as we know from Scripture, was stealing from the money for his own purposes. John 12:6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

What a lesson for all of us!

God bless, and again, wonderful admonition for us on Sunday!

I would be interested in other's studies on this word, apoleia.....please share, if you are led, with your examination of this word....

Thank you,
    Your sister in Christ,
    Beth