1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

apologetics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Oct 3, 2011.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I have studied apologetics for some time now and am considering approaching our local SBC association to offer to the churches an opportunity for me to give a lecture on apologetics and it's importance today. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here but I'm asking for any advice on approaching this. I do feel called to speak on this subject just as I felt called to study apologetics. Has anyone ever done anything like this in your church or association? Do you all think it is a need in our churches today and would you attend a Sunday or Wednesday night service to hear a lecture on apologetics? Notice I say lecture and not sermon as I am not called to preach. Thanks for nay input.

2. Dempster

Dempster New Member

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

If you plan to teach apologetics from the perspective of how to persuade the skeptic and the agnostic of the truth of the gospel, then I say go for it. Pattern your presentations after C. S. Lewis, Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel. It is badly needed and often lacking among the Christian faithful.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a forum to explain the nuances of Christian doctrine, it may be best left to your pastor.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The NAMB certification is a good step that will allow you to have something to lend credential to your platform. (Though in re-reading their approach I'd never recommend the speakers DCW...yeah $2,000 is way too much to spend on a couple of days with Ken Davis)

Anyways, I'd recommend checking into some other ministries outside of NAMB, know the other (i.e. real) apologists like Bill Craig, Ravi Zacharias, Norm Geisler, Gary Habermas, Al Plantinga, William Alston, etc. Be very well read and know your stuff. Then plan on developing several out of the box presentations that are finely honed, utilize multimedia presentations, and connect with people on the issues that matter.

Then network, network, network. You'll get two-thirds of your jobs by doing this. (Just my opinion) Have some substantive stuff you can give away for trial. Let local church leaders (lay and clergy) know you've got the position that matters and will not waste their time.

Maybe you would consider becoming a trained facilitator of the Truth Project from Focus on the Family. If you had that credential and could offer it to churches (which basically is showing the video and facilitating the discussion that follows) you'd have a pretty good way of building a relationship and getting a foot in the door.

Just some thoughts. Probably others have better ones. :)

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Go For For It Guy!

Praying the door opens, and that you WOW! them out of their socks, like I believe you can do!:thumbsup:

Pastor Paul :type:

7. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Sola,
    I was thinking, as others were here, of the NAMB certification. The reason that the created that program was to create credentials for people that the associations and state conventions could recommend to speak in churches. This maynot be an issue w/ individual pastors, but it may present a problem on an association or higher level. If you do not mind me asking, what are your qualifications to speak on this subject?

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Try to set up a mens breakfast kind of meeting ...with your lecture being the focus of the meeting to test out your gift...if it is well received do a follow up..or try it at sister churches....be presuppositional...not evidential which is mostly a waste of time.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Now that is a silly statement...presuppositionalism belies a fideism which requires too much a priori conclusions and not nearly enough actual apologetical work.

Though I'd offer a balanced view, the presuppositionalist has way too big a mountain to overcome to present their views adequately and reasonably. If anything evidentialism (which isn't my preferred method) has far more biblical attestation as a NT model than presuppositionalism. Beyond that the rational inquiry denied by the presuppositionalist makes conversation fairly pointless and thus aborgates the actual task of apologetics.

And yes, I'm a classical apologist...mixed with a little Reformed Epistemology (because I like, I really like Plantinga...sort of like you really like Van Til I suspect.) :)

10. SolaSaint

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice, God bless you all. Concerning the CAI program at Biola, I heard about it mid way into my degree in apologetics at Trinity School of Apologetics. It isn't an American accredited grad school, but I did get a good education in apologetics. I have to admit I'm not great at public speaking but I can do it. I also heard Jonathan Edwards wasn't a good orator but we still talk about his sermons today.

I have bounced around from one SBC church to another due to being in the military and moving a lot and I always find most Christians in these congragtions are not very well versed in defending what they believe and it shows because they fall for almost anything. That is why I'm passionate about apologetics because I hate to see fellow Christians being led into false beliefs and some even falling away--especially the youth.

I will let you know my progress as I go along..Thanks again all.

11. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Sola-
    I pray you will have much success for our Lord if you do pursue this. As to the public speaking, it gets better over time and with more and more experience. The key thing you need is a place to start. It is often easier to get an audience with youth leaders than pastors. Since you state that you are esspecially burdened on behalf of youth, you might start there. I have known many youth ministers that I believe would give you an opportunity to speak. This might be a good way to get some experience. Once you have a track record and people to vouch for you, doors into full congregations might be easier to open.

12. SolaSaint

I just started attending a college age class at my church to be a back-up teacher so I think this will be a launching point hopefully. Thanks for the prayers. God bless!:thumbs:

13. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think that you can start out within a Sunday school as beiong an elective class, or else a wed mid week night class...

at your mens fellowship breakfast/meeting also good idea...

main thing here is to decide what specilyty you plan to get well vested in...

Cults/world religions/bible/major doctrines etc?

14. SolaSaint

Thanks for the advice. I specialize in historical apologetics mainly the Resurrection, I want to start with a general overview of what apologetics is and hopefully get a few men excited about starting an apologetics ministry or study group. The men's breakfast is a good idea.

15. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Sola,

Here are a couple of ideas, too. If you want to make this into a ministry, networking through social media and providing some free seminars online could generate enthusiasm. I have not done this personally but have friends who are successful. I speak on leadership, empowerment, and coaching issues for businesses and we have been toying with the idea of offering a weekly class where you get a link to a short lesson each week. This makes you become an expert and when someone continues to hear these, they equip the masses, keeps your teaching fresh, and you are linked to the topic. This is also great in helping those who continue with your ministry to stay informed.

I have friends who have been successful at this approach. As well, it builds a base of teaching and allows you to think through some of the intracacies of your lessons.

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I have found in my own teaching that people are sometimes more hungry for apologetics than they are for exegesis of the biblical text, and though the two should be one and the same, they are often not.

It seems that a lot of people want facts and figures that will win an argument, not a means to righteous and godly living nor the "answer" that Peter tells us to have at the ready in faith.

That being said, there is a place for apologetics, as long as the nature and use of apologetics is understood. It is the gospel that brings life, not facts and figures or propositions of apologetics, but those facts and figures or propositional truths can and do lead to the place where the gospel of the Scriptures can be shared, and in so doing, one exemplifies Paul, Peter, John, and others in Scripture, who all used apologetics as a precursor to sharing the gospel.