1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

apology and explanation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I would like to apologize for bringing up such controversial subject as wine and salvation.
    I had hopes that I could start a friendly conversation that would result in a searching of the scriptures.
    I also wanted to allow certain posters to voice thier beliefs without fear of being banned from the BB.

In hindsight, I guess I should have known that such a topic was futile to discuss on an open forum.

I will try to refrain from starting such threads again.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure that is always possible with some of our regulars... Those who think they have it all figured out are often unwilling to have their views challenged.

But I want you to know that I actually learned something during that ugly thread. I had an opportunity to meditate on the implications of Christ's Melchizedek-type priesthood. I put together a few things I had never considered before.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Well. I suppose all things work together for good to those who love God, even ugly threads at times!

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I do not think you have anything to apologize for, as the thread pointed out a much bigger issue than arguing over whether to drink or not and its relation to salvation.

The bigger issue is whether or not a person's life is being guided by the Holy Spirit to become more like Jesus, or is a person learning a bunch of rules and through their own power attempting and claiming to obey them.

One can abstain from alcohol from both ways. One honors God, the other does not. It transcends all issues in the Christian walk.

What makes ones jaw drop is the number of people who are learning rules and obeying them in their own power. It is obvious from the posts, and even sadder, some are leaders in churches and various ministries.

Again, thanks for the thread. For your part, it was very thought provoking.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My dad was always very careful to make me and my siblings know that following rules would never make us spiritual.
    That said, we had many rules and he was a teetotaller but for the good reasons you posted.
    For instance, my dad never allowed my sisters to wear pants but was very careful to note that it was simply what he believed to be the right thing to do and it wasn't winning them any browny points.
    Even with all the warning though I still grew up with somewhat of an attitude of superiority over those that did not have the same "high standards" as I did.

As I began to study, one after another of my little "rules" began to be challenged.
    From pants to KJVO to wine being welches.
    I then began to see how wicked my heart really was and that my outward righteousness was really just filthy rags.

Music was another thing.
    I went to the Bible to prove that rock music was evil.
    I tried and studied and tried and studied.

What I came up with was that a heart of unbelief can't please God no matter how you sing or play your music.

I still prefer a serious and reverent style of music for worship.
    But I can't see how the Bible dictated musical styles in everyday life anymore than food styles.

May God bless you all as you study His word and may the Holy Spirit guide us.

6. Beth

Beth New Member

I thought it was fine

I found it very interesting to read all the different views on the subject, Dale. Folks have lots of convictions, that's for sure!

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Convictions and OPININIONS.

Lol

Actually one thing I learned is that the sum of all the various opinions were greater than what I beleive to be the truth.
    However, the truth was actually the overwhelming majority when taken against all of the indiviual opinions seperately.

That got me thinking.
    Perhaps the truth WILL always be in majority.
    Even if it is only 10% of the whole, the opinions of man will vary from person to person to the point that there may be so many contrary opinions that the truth at it's small percentage still may be the majority.

I stand to be corected on that. It was just something I noticed.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dale-c:
    Solid theology m'friend, solid theology!!!

If we DO whatever we DO unto HIM, then we're gonna DO what HE is leading us to DO; and this in spite of what HE may tell others to DO!!!!!!

MARANATHA!!!!

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Ditto... :)! Thank you Dale

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Dale, the only thing you would need to apologize for is if you were trying to set somebody up to get banned. If that wasn't your motivation, and I don't think it was, then I see no problem with your having started the thread. I certainly don't hold you responsible for the ugly postings of other people.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

actually, I was trying to keep poeple from getting banned.
    I do not have a problem with people, in general saying that a person who believes are certain thing shows he probably has never been saved etc.
    I do have a problem with people attacking others just because they get into an argument.

I was trying to keep the subject at an "academic" level so to speak, not a mud slinging contest.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Who got banned?

13. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Me :laugh: No wait............ I'm still posting. :thumbs: If anyone got banned........ I missed it.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not me either. I'm still blabbing, er...posting as well.:laugh:

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

no, no one got banned that I know of.
    I was just trying to get an answer to a question without getting anyone banned.
    On another thread, someone actually posted in the poll that they believed you were going to hell for drinking wine.
    It was an anonymous poll though and mine was open.

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Hold Dale In High Esteem!!!

Dale - thanks for showing what you are made of deep within your heart. Any person who is willing to candidly capitualate and apologize reflects Jesus in a way only few can do:thumbs: .

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Pastor Paul, thank you for the kind words.
    I want to make clear that I still believe in the same position.
    I do apologize for the indiscretion of starting a flame war, which was not my intention but I should have known better.
    God bless!

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

"The Lord has established His throne in the Heavens and His Sovereignty rules over all" (Ps 103:19, NASB).

And He rules in our hearts through His Word and Spirit. :godisgood:

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Dale

Since your post is one of apology---I will let it stand and non-debateable in order to be read by the general public

However---I will close it nonetheless to save on bandwidth---though your apology can be seen on both pages of the thread

Your friend,

Blackbird

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.