1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Apparent contradiction?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Apr 2, 2012.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, what's written above is manmade theology and not found in Scripture. Define "convicting the heart". Besides giving us the Bible, Scripture is clear all men have God's law written on their heart. It also states each and every one of us have been specially placed to seek Him (literally grope around for Him as in a blind state) although He is not far from any of us. It also is clear each uf us instinctively know God and His power through creation.

Are these all not works of the Spirit? If so please tell me what work He performs so that we can identify what is already His work?

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I just quoted you. So were you wrong when you said "The gospel isn't a divine tazer that everyone who hears WILL believe, but it is the work of the Spirit to convict sinners. "

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

The gospel is not the Holy Spirit. The gospel is the truth that Jesus did on the cross and was raised up again. The Holy Spirit is the 3rd person of the trinity.

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

are all people that hear the gospel saved? And that's not the definition of the gospel that Paul gave. That's describing the gospel. The gospel is that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and was raised again in 3 days. i cor 15
    Because Jesus does have the power to save. Jesus dying on the cross paid for our sin.
    Of course it's not "irresistible" and no one says it is. No one would say that everyone that hears the gospel is saved nor that no one rejects or resists the gospel when they hear it.

#64 jbh28, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

wrong about what? Why the games? What does this have to do with the recent exchange?

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't say it was. But Jesus comes close to saying that when he said, "The words I speak to you (gospel) are spirit and life."

I've said the Gospel is a work of the Holy Spirit. He produces, preserves and carries it by Holy Spirit indwelled messengers throughout the entire world. Don't you affirm this at least?

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I'm sorry, I misunderstood when webdog said "can the Holy Spirit without the Holy Spirit convict sinners" When he changed the word "gospel" to "Holy Spirit I thought he meant that the gospel is the holy spirit. Otherwise it makes no sense to make the change.

so the holy Spirit uses the gospel. How does he change a person to go from not believing to believing?

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

First, I don't play games. Never had, so the charge is not warranted.

You said "Actually, what's written above is manmade theology and not found in Scripture." What was above is what you said. I made additional comments
    The Holy Spirit convicts the heart. - you said this
    Just giving the gospel alone doesn't save. - obviously people have heard the gospel and are not saved
    I've given the gospel to people and they were not saved. - people are not saved by just giving them the gospel. So what was "manmade theology and not found in Scripture"

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I asked you to define what you mean by the work of the Spirit, to which you replied "I was just quoting you". I defined how th Spirit works...now we cannot go any further until you do so.

10. Skandelon

Faith comes by hearing, but if the man, who is without excuse, chooses to trade the truth in for a lie that is his own fault, not God's failing (i.e. not loving, choosing, or graciously providing everything needed)

11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please show me from Romans 9 where scripture says Pharaoh was "blinded in his rebellion from the obvious truth for a time..."? You are adding that in an attempt to support for your doctrine of judicial hardening which just isn't there. The context doesn't support it.

Romans 9:22-24 is the very heart of Paul's argument and it has nothing to do with judicial hardening of Jews.

Romans 9:22 "What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? (23) And He did so in order that He might make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, (24) even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles."

The passage proclaims God's sovereignty in the affairs of mankind, even to the point of preparing some for destruction, with the specific purpose of bringing those He has chosen (children of the promise: both Jew and Gentile:, predestined...called...justified...) to glory.

The passage is clear, and judicial hardening is not part of it.

peace to you:praying:

#71 canadyjd, Apr 16, 2012
  12. mandym

mandym New Member

However you want to spin the word "know" scripture clearly says that men who reject God is condemned because they had the "know" sufficient to accept Him.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

No, you will answer my question to you.

The Holy Spirit convicts the heart. - you said this
    Just giving the gospel alone doesn't save. - obviously people have heard the gospel and are not saved
    I've given the gospel to people and they were not saved. - people are not saved by just giving them the gospel. So what was "manmade theology and not found in Scripture"

Those were my three statements. Your statement was

You used the term "work of the spirit" so lets you define what you meant when you said it. And what part of what I said was "manmade theology and not found in Scripture"?

14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Where in Scripture does it say that if God doesn't choose to save man has an excuse. Please provide the Scripture.

It's very simple.

1. Its not in the bile
    2. the passage is___________

The Bible: man is without excuse because God has clearly revealed himself through creation
    You: man has an excuse if God doesn't choose to save him despite the fact God has clearly revealed himself through creation.

So the Bible passage...

#74 jbh28, Apr 16, 2012
  15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

These are the very games that you claim you don't play. Post 61 I asked you to define what convicting the heart was. The manmade theology is the fact some other work of the Spirit besides the works of the ]pirit needs to be performed. Now drop the grandstanding and anty up. Define what a work of the spirit is to open a persons heart as you claim without further derailing this. Again, I already defined how the Spirit works. Your turn.

#75 webdog, Apr 16, 2012
  16. Skandelon

I didn't say that. I said that he has an excuse for not accepting God's appeal to be reconciled. God doesn't have to provide salvation for anyone if he doesn't want to, but since he has and he makes an appeal to all, the question is, "What, if anything, prevents a man from accepting that divine appeal?" Calvinists believe the man's inborn nature (i.e. totally depravity) prevents him from desiring to accept such an appeal from God, thus the EXCUSE.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course it's man's nature that prevents him from desiring God. What else would prevent him??

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

It's not a game. It's a very direct question. The only game that is being played is your false accusation of me playing a game.
    Which of my statements was false?
    1. The Holy Spirit convicts the heart. - you said this
    2. Just giving the gospel alone doesn't save.

Here's the post.http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1832673&postcount=57

I quoted you and made the statement. What was "Actually, what's written above is manmade theology and not found in Scripture."

When you can tell me that, we can then get to what it means to convict the heart of the sinner.

19. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

yes you did.

very good on the bolded part!
    Not according to the Romans 1 passage. Again and again you keep saying an excuse which is directly against the Bible. You have no Bible to back that statement up.

Let me revise my statement up to be sure I'm represeting correctly.

The Bible: man is without excuse because God has clearly revealed himself through creation
    You: man has an excuse because of his sinful nature despite the fact God has clearly revealed himself through creation.

20. Skandelon

Tell JHB, because he seems to think they have no excuse for such a response, when clearly their excuse is that they were born that way (nature) and thus couldn't do otherwise.