1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apparently I was supposed to drive my critically ill daughter myself

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by annsni, Apr 19, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've been checking our insurance claims with my daughter's illness and up to now, we've just had the two doctors in the hospital who watched her while she was there. $177 each isn't bad, IMO considering each doctor was needed frequently while she was on the floor and each covered a day.

So I checked today and saw a bill for the transport from the one hospital to the other. Apparently they don't cover that. So my daughter who was on an IV, IV meds for severe and constant vomiting, had a high heart rate and high blood pressure maybe should have been driven by me to the other hospital? The bill is over $2,000. Lovely. I WILL appeal this.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That sounds so wrong. Don't worry about it at the moment though. Your daughter is doing better, you're okay, and there's nothing to be done about the bill while you wait so relax and enjoy the progress being made with her health.
    Peace to you.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly appeal it, Ann! Been there, done that. When you let them know it *was* necessary, chances are they will not make you pay it.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing isnt it! Yes by all means appeal it.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Praying for you, Ann. Been there, done that.

Voice of experience: Get everything in writing as well.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

By all means, appeal, especially if you are paying this out of pocket. Many times, the medical provider will provide you with a discount if they know this is coming out of your own pocket. So make sure they know this.

The cost may be depend upon the severity of the situation and the distance between the two hospitals. Or, this could simply be the standard case rate for a period of time.

In any event, did not know of your daughter's situation & she'll be in our prayers. God's best.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you're appealing it. We'll be praying that this gets taken care of.

8. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ahh the health business...ain't it fun...

I shall pray for your daughter's speedy recovery. God bless you and yours!

9. billwald

billwald New Member

What does the fine print say about transportation between hospitals? What kind of ambulance service is covered?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can't find that out for some reason. I need to get up to church and see if I can find the whole book of benefits. The website doesn't say anything about transportation.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, this will take some time and some aggravation, but it will work itself out. As rbell said, keep every scrap of paper and get everything in writing. Ask for an itemized bill from the hospital everytime (you have to ASK for this). You might find some other "services" that you are paying for that you shouldn't be.

12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ann, you should get a "certificate of coverage" every year from your insurance co. (we get ours in January usually)

In your "summary of benefits" you'll see "emergency ambulance services". Mine are covered at 100% *IF* "medically necessary". Then in the definition section, I get the definition for "medically necessary" That is the fine print that gives you an idea of whether or not they'll cover it.

One of my definitions is: "OF demonstrated medical value and consistant with the symptoms or diagnosis and treatment of the Member's condition, disease, ailment or injury". I'm betting you have something similar in your certificate and the insurance is waiting on additional documentation that the trip was indeed "medically necessary".

It seems awfully early for all the insurance to have cleared every item on the list. Some might take a while. Do keep up with everything, though and call the ins co often enough so that they know you are paying attention. :D

13. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out here in rural Colorado, it is not unusual to require helicopter transport when an emergent situation transpires. A flight from here to San Juan Regional Care Center can run (sit down for this one) $12,000 and up! That is a 30 min flight from takeoff to landing.

I am praying that you get answers because you don't need the added burden of financial headaches during this trying time.

(hug)
    Debbie Mc

14. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

praying in Jesus Name