1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Apple Computer Life is about to END.

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Jarthur001, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Aubre

Aubre New Member

BB was right, looking for the towers with the Intel chips.

I wish they had included a tv tuner and some sort of DVR functionality with the Mini, how awesome would that have been.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife has a G5 tower, but we haven't upgraded it, except to add an Airport Extreme card (took about two minutes from opening the case to restart). There's less room for internal drives, but there's still plenty of card slots.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have a TV tuner with my Mini, but I too wish it was integrated into Front Row, which from tumors..it may soon but you never know.

4. Aubre

Aubre New Member

Which tuner do you have Dale?

5. kubel

kubel New Member

I'm not against Macs for everyone, I'm just against macs for me. In the OS world, you can have the best security, most user friendly interface, highest rated tech support, you can even (like in the case with *nix) give it away for free, make it fully customizable, and make it open--- but all that means NOTHING if you don't have enough developers making software under your environment.

That's the biggest problem most people have with Mac is that the users that actually use their PCs can't use Macs. Let me explain: Mac has word processors, browsers, email, etc.... That's great for grandmas and n00bs. But for gamers and people like me that actually USE a computer as a tool in a variety of applications (as well as entertainment)- they are left with simply an OS. Not enough software selection. Not enough games (and whatever games that do come out are old).

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's an interesting analysis of what the near future might bring for a Macintosh Pro Tower: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/promacs.ars/1

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange. I've been using Macs both for personal and professional purposes since 1999.

And people who actually use their computers professionally...

Oh. People who actually use their computers are gamers... right.

Well now you can run Mac OS X, Windows XP and Vista, and just about any other operating system out there on Apple hardware. And, if you want to, you can even get those groovy Microsoft viruses that all your Windows friends get to complain about at the office.

So what's the problem?

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I will give you this. If you play Games...Mac is not the best Computer for you. It is not a game machine, because there are few games made for it. Its more for work.

But I strongly disagree with your "USE" statement. I have over 20 macs at my office and 2 PCs. My macs are all under 2ghz while both of my PCs run right under 3ghz. I push photoshop to the max with large files. Yesterday I worked with a 1.2gig file. My 1.8 ghz machines runs faster then the 3ghz PCs. Hands down. The days are few when one of my 20+ Mac crash. My PCs crash every other day.

And then we have software that is USED...only on a mac

When making movies..Final Cut Pro is unmatched. It is the Photoshop if the movie making software. This only runs on a mac.
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

Soundtrack is great as well..though I can not say that this is unmatched in the PC world. But it works right with Final Cut...and only on a mac
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/

Shake...unmatched and only runs on a mac.
    http://www.apple.com/shake/

Logic Pro hands down the best mixxer on the market. Only on a mac
    http://www.apple.com/logicpro/

I use both PC and Macs because of high demand of graphics. Macs and PC act very close to the same nowadays, yet macs still will outrun them. But more then anything is the crashes. A PC if pushed to the limit will crash.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

But, what about the new platform Mac? Will mac on intel run without crashing?

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't heard about any trouble with the Mac OS crashing on Intel chips. (They've been running it on Intel chips in Apple's labs since 2001.)

The Windows operating system is the thing that is crash-prone. And even Windows has gotten better over the years.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, that is true.
    One thing that I would hate is I was Sony or HP would be the fact that I was stuck selling Windows.

Apple will continue to make great systems...oh, and as far as I know, my dads Intel Mac has not crashed yet...though at some point I am sure it will.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I always laugh at that statement because I always tell people that I USE a Mac and I FIX PCs.
    The problem is that most people that fix PCs will tell you not to get a Mac.

That said, there is a degree of truth to it.
    There are a few programs that people need to use that are Windows only.
    Almost everything normal people need can be done on a Mac and I would say that for everything that can only be done with windows, something can only be done with a Mac.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

First of all...no platform is crashproof...I crashed a Mac at the Apple store.. a brand new MacBook.

I opened the Applications folder, hit cmd A (select all) and then cmd O (open)

So all programs opened at once.....about 50 of them or so....I am not sure that it actually crashed but it took a while for them to load and then one of the guys there came over and reset the system.

It MAY have been ok if he had left it alone but I suspect that it might have locked up.

BTW, most of the programs loaded before I left.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have tge myTV PVR.
    It is not the first one I would recommend but it was the cheapest with a hardware encoder that I could get at the time.
    The ones from EyeTV are better (I think) but they are either more expensive or rely on the computer to encode the video and my G4 is too slow for that.
    Need a dual G4, G5 or an Intel for that.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm one of the ones that would prefer to use Linux, or even a Mac, but continue with Windows because the computers I buy are cheaper than Macs and come with Windows already loaded (besides, my family is familiar with Windows, and loading/configuring the software on all the computers to give them a "Windows feel" would take more time than I have).

That said, here's the latest on Macs:

On Tuesday, Apple released updates for its Mac OS X operating system. The updates fix 26 security flaws. Several affect image handling. Other fixes address file-sharing vulnerabilities. The vulnerabilities could allow hackers to run code remotely. They also put sensitive data at risk. Mac users should update their systems immediately.
    Many people falsely believe that Apple computers aren't vulnerable to attack. But as they become more popular, expect to see more hackers targeting Macs.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the reasons I switched to a Mac seven years ago was to get away from "the Windows feel."

If they know how to use Windows, they will do well with a Mac... once they relax and just use the interface. Since Microsoft tries to copy the Mac's look and feel, it won't be an enormous jump. It took me about half an hour to get used to the old Classic Mac OS, and less time than that to become productive the day the first version of Mac OS X 10.0 came out.

Yep. They release regular security updates and refinements on the 1st of the month to proactively take care of any security issues they have identified in the previous month.

Yep. Once hackers reverse engineer the patches, they might figure out how to possibly attack Mac OS X, so they recommend that everyone patch immediately.

You are correct. But the fact remains that Mac OS X is far more secure than Windows. There are only very isolated incidents of Mac OS users being victims of malware (and they had to do some pretty stupid things to harm their systems), and no incidents of an infected Macintosh transmitting a virus to another system.

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, and I think I saw that the Mac Pro is less than the Dell.

19. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is less, cost-wise.

I think it is much greater than the Dell since it can run Mac OS X as well as any operating systems that can be run on the Dell.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I will have to look into it again but I seem to remember that for the difference in price, you could buy XP to install on it.
    A nice machine...wish I could afford it :)