1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AppleCare, ProCare, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by richard n koustas, Jun 7, 2006.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

i think i'm gonna buy an i-mac (my first apple). i have a few questions for the apple users:

is the applecareworth $141?
    is the procare worth $99?
    where is a good source for discounted software?

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Apple care is worth it for the phone support if you are a new Apple user and do not know people that use Macs. I never buy Apple care on apple desktops because I have never had one fail and I know enough about them that I don't need to call in for help.

Apple Care is excellent, it is worth it for a first time user. It extends the hardware warrantee for three years. Also it you can call any time for help and you get a friendly person that speaks english! :)

Don't worry about the Pro Care, that is a business thing, I don' think you need it.

Apple.com has a lot of educational discounts.
    Ask me about particular hardware and I will be glad tell you a good place ot get it.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=26403331&nclm=SpecialDeals
    Here is a good place to buy your iMac.
    THese are Apple refurbed systems. They have a full warrantee and you can get Aple care.
    You save about $200.

Also, check out the MacMini. It is quite a bit cheaper. The only draw back is that they aren't as good with games.
    They also do not have a monitor built in but you can use the one you have now.
    That is not to discourage the iMac, just since you asked about discounted software, I thought you probably were not a "cost is no object type"

If you would like to know the pros and cons to both, let me know.

4. richard n koustas

I am not a "cost is no object type", my wife, on the other hand...

Looked at the mini, but i would need a keyboard, mouse and monitor anyway (i think that every think i have is at least 8 years old, non USB), decided to go for the whole computer. turns out i'll also need a new all-in-one printer

as far as discounts, i qualify for their EEP so i get something of a discount.

i went to the apple store yesterday just to see what a system would cost. i wasn't planning on the applecare and/or procare.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

There is a definite convienence to getting the whole iMac system.
    They have refurbs for $999 but those are the G5 systems. If you want to dual boot with windows, you have to get the new ones with the intel.
    If you can afford the iMac, go for it. It is a great system!
    Also, you can use dual monitors with the iMac! You can connect a second display and have an extended desktop.
    It is VERY handy.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations, I don't think you will regret it!

Depends on a few things. I've had a G4 tower since 2001 with a three-year CompUSA policy on it and I've never needed to use it.

My wife has a G5 tower from 2004 with AppleCare, and she's never needed it.

But both of us have AppleCare on our iPods and we've both used it when our iPods went out.

If it's a desktop system, I wouldn't worry much about it in most situations. If it is a portable unit (notebook system, iPod, etc.), I would definitely buy it.

I have no experience with ProCare since it is very new. It is my understanding that ProCare is designed for those whose livelihood depends upon their Macintoshes. If I was a freelance graphic designer or professional musician, I'd definitely buy it because it gives you priority, time-sensitive service so you can keep running with a minimum of delay.

The internet. There are a number of very good Mac-specific sites. One of my favorites is www.megamacs.com. They often have very good deals and offer great service.

Welcome to the Mac family! :wavey:

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I would say you do not need it unless you are running a server. In 15 years of running a mac I called the helpline one time. But..i fixed it before i talked to them. Today..there are so many mac help sites, you may get better help from them, then Apple. This is not saying Apple has bad service. It's saying Mac lovers love to talk about macs...and do.

and I also welcome you to the mac world. You will love it.

:wavey:

8. richard n koustas

thanks for your replies.

i just came back from the store: bought the i-mac and the applecare but passed on the procare, for now.

i bought a new all-in-one with the $99 rebate.

and i bought a i-pod, with a rebate.

and with my new apple credit card, i have 90 days to come up with the money.

now i'll have to checkout some of those mac sites...

9. kubel

kubel New Member

I'm a PC guy, and personally think Macs have unsatisfactory cost:productivity (if you aren't using them where they excel at). But with all that said, I have heard they have one of the best tech support teams out there. Hope you enjoy your new system!

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

THis is dependent on what you do, and is rarely the case. TCO is the key. Macs last so long in general that even if you do basic stuff...the $999 iMac that my mom uses from 2000 is still a good system and is a really good deal by now.
    Granted though it has about $300 in upgrades but I got it used in 02 for $350.

PCs do have a place, but for normal users that don't want any fuss....the iMac is the best way to go.

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you give some examples of areas where Macs do not excel?*

*I'm sure someone is going to say "games", but I wouldn't call that productivity... Furthermore, since Macs can now boot Windows (if you want to install that monstrosity on your machine) you can boot into Windows any time you want to play those games and then boot back into Mac OS X to be productive.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Hey, do you have any preference for Bible software?

I like Online Bible on Mac OS X. Also there is Mac Sword and Accordance.