1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Application for Church Membership?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Internet Theologian, Dec 2, 2015.

?
  1. A good idea.

2. A bad idea.

3. It could be a little bit of both (a good and a bad idea).

4. I'm not sure.

5. Other...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is just wrong! That should never even come up before the church... The pastor and the deacons if required should have handled this in private... Surely not brought up before the congregation and humiliated them in a supposed vote... Who would even want to join a church after that?... I know that in my church in a private meeting the pastor would have admonished them in compassion and kindness. Telling them that at this time we cannot accept you as members because of your living arrangement. You are still welcome to come and worship with us and when your situation changes you are free to join us... IMHO!... That is how it should have been handled... We all walk with feet of clay!... Brother Glen

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

It always hit me the wrong way before I even started attending church, it made me feel off about it. Why do I have to be a "member"? My pastor says it's because you wouldn't let people make decisions unless they were committed and could leave at anytime. Well it still strikes me as odd.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree but they didn't do it the Christian way... IMHO... Brother Glen

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

All I saw was that the church refused them membership, not a lot of details to determine they didn't do it in a Christian way imo.

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I disagree!... Denied membership but were humiliated when they were brought before the church in a supposed vote, then shamed before the whole congregation... With what the poster gave us as to the circumstances this was not imho... The Christian way!... Others may disagree with me on this but that is just wrong... Would you like to be treated that way and would you join a church later after being treated that way?... I know I wouldn't!... Then again maybe I am blind but I would like to know the consensus of others on here weather they would handle this situation the way it was handled or the way I stated it should have been handled?... Privately... The church was already fully aware of what was going on... Brother Glen

6. Internet Theologian

That was the case someone else referred to brother so you're conflating two stories. I was referring to what Melinda said, not jamesl! You're talking about another situation altogether. Context! :)

7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize... Oops... No excuse even though I'll be seventy next month... Yes I agree with your stand on Melinda's situation... Do you agree with my stand on James?... I've been on this board to long!... Can you forgive this brother?... Brother GlenUnsure

8. Internet Theologian

Nothing to forgive in my opinion brother! It's too easy to read through these things and then conflate a couple stories together innocently. I will remove my 'disagree' from your post but I did so in order that you would see my response.

As far as the jamesl situation honestly I find it difficult to believe a pastor and church would do such a thing, then again, I don't doubt it at the same time. Let them attend, make membership qualifications known in the constitution then there would be no misunderstandings and no need to 'present' them to the church. Otherwise love them, let them attend. The whole thing was mishandled and sad if that is the whole story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took my disagree away too... I agree with how you see it and understand the problem of getting stories confused... A side note HankD came on a thread that was entitled Thought For Today and posted Oops wrong thread... Brother GlenRoflmao

10. Internet Theologian

They should have shamed themselves first in private then this entire alleged incident would have been avoided. There is no way they did not know this was wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are working on an application now. It is not extensive in and of itself, but it does acknowledge our beliefs and expectations as a church. Current members will also be expected to affirm those beliefs in order to continue membership. I think it's a good thing - it outlines what is required and expected of those who want to be counted as disciples in a certain local church.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a current deacon in my local church, I believe it is a necessary evil.
    Obviously the names of the saved are written in the lamb's Book of Life.
    However we don't have access to this church role in heaven.
    We need to protect the flock from wolves and sinful influences.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1