1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arabic Writing=Terrorist!

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by npc, Sep 1, 2006.

1. npc

npc New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5297822.stm

It's pathetic how people could allow terrorists to make them so xenophobic.

Edit: wrong forum; I meant to post this in News. Perhaps a moderator could please move this?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if the Arabic had really stated "Death to all Christians" ?
    or
    "Be a martyr today."
    or even
    "This plane is going down".

:smilewinkgrin:

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

There is only one reason to were a tshirt with arabic writing on it in an airport on a plane. That is to cause panic and alarm. I dont feel the need to put myself and my family in danger just for the sake of not offending the person who is wearing a shirt ment to offend me. Even if the danger is low and chances are good this person is not a terrorist. Why take any chance.

I also will not take my family into areas where young men hang out wearing baggy pants slung low and all blue (or red) bandanas and throw signes with their hands.

Is that pathetic that I have let gang members make me consider the safety of my family. Should I take the kids down town to look at the grafitii.

4. npc

npc New Member

Who are you to determine this man's intentions? There is nothing to show that he wanted to send that kind of message. Arabic has special meaning to him--have you never seen a T-shirt with a foreign language on it?

You are seiously claiming that letting him wear his T-shirt might have been taking a chance? It was arabic writing, not magic runes.

Poor analogy based on the weak premise that Arabic=Terrorist.

5. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I dont have to determine this mans intentions. I only have to see the perception of people around him.

I am seriously saying that a person wearing this t shirt may be a security risk. I am not saying he is a risk but I am saying without a doubt that this is a sign that he may be. Going back to my gangbanger analogy. A kid wearing baggy pants and a blue bandana is not nesseceraly a risk. His clothing can not hurt you (it is a bandana not magic ruins) but the person wearing them has marked himself as somebody who is a risk. Cops are going to keep an eye on him because he may be a risk.

My analogy is excelent. Why dont most schools alow their kids to wear bandanas. Why dont alot of schools allow baggy pants. Some schools are banning certen language and symbols on clothing. Security Threat Groups OFTEN identify themselfs with clothing.

Would you let a kid with a gang symbol on his shirt into a school where your kid was.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saw this truth in action once, in Gaithersburg, in front of the Country Buffet.
    This black young man was stopped by cops, frisked, asked questions.
    He was very belligerent, defiant, and angry, and was talking back to the cops who tried not to embarrass him by bringing him to where not many people were and doing their frisk and question thing there.
    But the action caught the attention of people there because he was nearly shouting, and what he was saying was that the police were picking on him because he was black.
    I nearly laughed out loud, because my wife and I were there when the whole thing started, and let me tell you that every other face coming out of Country Buffet was black, and the cops never took a second look at any of them.
    Why ?
    Because they were not dressed in gangbanger getup like this guy was, kimono cut short pants, nearly halfway down his butt, tail of his loose tops hanging out, bandana around his head, rings in his nose and ears, hair frizzed out, tennis shoes all dirty.
    Sure, he may just be one lousy dressed man who happened to be black but no gangbanger. He may be, for all the cops knew, a computer Nerd with a job that pays twice as much as they earn, and drug free.
    But once he put on that getup........

7. npc

npc New Member

How is irrational fear a good indicator of his intentions?

So assuming for a moment that this is true, replacing the shirt and letting him on was the right thing to do?

No. Flashing gang signs is a good sign of gang membership. How many hijackers wear t-shirts with Arabic script on them?

Would you let a kid wearing gang colors into a school where your kid was?

#7 npc, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
  8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

We are not talking about his intentions. We are talking about wether people being afraid of the man is pathetic.

I say they are not pathetic they are cautious. The man marked himself as part of a group that has a tendency to want to kill people on airlines. And people were afraid. I think that is justified.

No he should not have been let back on, unless a complete search of his person was complete and he satisfied the athorities that he was in no way a danger. Changing the shirt was to ease the fear of the other passengers and possably for his own safety.

Colors must go along with other indicators to have anything to do with gangs. A 90 year old grandma is not in danger because her shirt is blue. Colors ALONE mean nothing to gangs.

I would not let blue or red bandanas into a school if I was in charge.

9. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I've seen people with Chinese characters tattooed on their arms or shirts with Chinese writing on them. Does that mean they're Communists? :applause:

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Thinking about this I am starting to change my mind. I can do that right, its not against board rules or anything. :tongue3:

Ok the guy marked himself as a member of a group of which a large portion wants to kill Americans on airplains.

He was removed from the plain and searched/questioned because of this.

He obviously satisfied the athorities because they let him back on.

I am ok with everything above.

But they made him remove his teeshirt because it made people uncomfortable.

I am thinking that after he was deemed not a threat his free speach right are now back in order, now that he is deemed not a threat. He should have been alowed to wear the tee shirt back onto the airline.

Back to my gangbanger analogy (that was excelent) the dress may cause the cops to stop and check out the banger. But after they search/question him they do not make him remove his baggy pants and put wranglers on.

Schools have accross the board dress codes for all kids. So unless Airlines adopt a no words on teeshirts policy (any words) they should have let him back on with his inflamitory teeshirt.

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Do communists get alot of tattoos.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Only if the tattoo means Das Kapital.

Or is it Mein Kampf ? I always get those weirdos mixed up . . .

;)

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Paranoid might be a little better than xenophobia . . .

And yes, it is pathetic how people are letting terrorists terrorize us . . .

Wayne

14. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I don't know if Communists are into tattoos or not. I don't think Karl Marx said anything about that subject.

15. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Das Kapital was by Marx and Engels. Adolf wrote Mein Kampf. :smilewinkgrin: