1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aramaic Bible

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by KayDee, Jan 19, 2004.

1. KayDee

KayDee New Member

Does anyone know anything about the Aramaic Bible supposedly kept by the Orthodox all these years? I did a search on it and didn't come up with anything very informative. I know someone who seems to be impressed but I don't have enough info to form an opinion. My first impression is not good!!!

In His Service
    KayDee

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

KayDee,

Your first impression is likely right! The Aramaic Peshitta dates to about 400 AD or so. There are earlier incomplete Aramaic works like the Diatessaron which may be significantly older. The problem with the "Aramaic bible", particularly the claims made by George Lamsa, is that the oldest complete "bible" dates about 400 years or so AFTER the NT and was written in Syriac, a later Eastern dialect of Aramaic which predominated after the Nestorian split. Thus these may be interesting, but not authoritative!

3. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member