1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Archaeological proof of biblical kingdoms

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm looking in particular for information on studies done on Solomon's kingdom.
    Do you know of any good resources? Are YOU a good resource? [​IMG] Tell me what you know.
    Do you know who THIS DUDE is and if his information is reliable?
    Thanks,
    Gina

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They suggest FF Bruce who is top drawer. Yigdal Yadin is a favorite of mine as is Ahoroni, another Israeli archaeologist.

Anybody who condemns "higher criticism" is a friend of mine (although Joshua will think that terrible, methinks!).

I surfed around the site. It looked like lots of good stuff.

3. D.R.

D.R. New Member

Gina,

What specifically are you looking for? I may be able to help you. Right now I am taking archaeology from Dr. Steven Ortiz, who studied under William Dever at Arizona, who studied under W.F. Albright, the founder of Biblical archaeology. Dr. Ortiz discoverd the Davidic Stone under the direction of Dr. Dever a few years ago. I will be in class on Thursday, so you can send me a personal email or post it to the site and I will ask Dr. Ortiz about it. He is both an accomplished archaeologist and a Biblical scholar who is extremely conservative, yet careful in interpreting the data. I hope to help you in any way I can,
    WE HOLLA
    dr

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Call me strange, but I always wanted to be an archaeologist. :D It fascinates me, but I've never done any sudying on it as it would never happen.
    Anyhow, I have the perfect excuse to spend time on it now. [​IMG] I was on an atheist site and the topic came up, I said there was archaeological backup for biblical events, they said not for a lot of them, and pointed out Solomon's reign/time in particular, esepecially the temple location. If I understand correctly the temple location itself was never found but wouldn't be that rare or stand out from other kings styles at that time though.
    Anyhow, that's about as far as I know, lol, which is why I'm asking you. [​IMG]
    Gina

5. D.R.

D.R. New Member

Oh, I think that there is a great deal of archeological evidence out there that the Bible is true. We have amblets (which are like bracelets) that date to the 12th century with the Deuteronomic Blessing written upon them, and many other peices of pottery which tells us about events that occurred that parallel the Biblical accounts. You could check out a lot of resources, but start with A. Mazar's Biblical Archaelolgy book. My professor is writing one right now, but it will not be done for a couple of years. If you are a Southern Baptist and under the age of 30, there is a journeyman position available in Jordan and Egypt right now doing archaelolgical research on a dig team. There are numerous ways to get info on the internet as well, but make sure you look at evidences that are approved by top schools of archeaology. Look for names like Mazar, Dever, and Albright, as they are among the top ones in the field. Atheists are generally ignorant of such facts because they come with a presupposition that the evidence points against the Biblical evidence, not to it. But this is simply not the case. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
    WE HOLLA
    dr

6. John Wells

John Wells New Member

"Indiana Gina" sounds better! ;) :D

Follow your dreams (or God's call) if that's where your heart's tugging you!

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thanks, I'll look into that book. [​IMG]
    I WANNA GO!
    I'd become southern baptist to go. I'd become under 30 to go too. Tell 'em that for me, ok? [​IMG]
    Gina

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in '86 I spent some time at Tel Dan where they later uncovered a canaanite altar. Took my family back there a coupla years ago and the dig was all barb wired off (we got in anyway, another story).

If I could take a month, I'd love to go back. Maybe in the fall after my interim at the Free church is over I will do that. Couple sites in Turkey that intrigue me.

Ready with the hat and whip, Gina? I'll bring the map. :rolleyes:

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

ROFL, ready when you are!

We used to live near a gravel pit, I'd go and dig up fossils, that's about as far as I ever got. Don't think it's a calling, but it is something I've always been very interested in and everybody called me weird for. Oh well.

My calling is another thing, and one that I struggle with because I really don't want to, I keep trying to get others to follow it and hope that it'll cover me, cuz I know the second the kids are married and gone (they're my excuse right now) I know God's gonna put the opportunity right there and I won't have a reason anymore. [​IMG]
    Gina

10. John Wells

John Wells New Member

One archaeological find that intrigued me was the ancient ruins of Jericho. There was evidence of a seige on the city, but normally during seiges the walls are pushed inward. They found the walls of Jericho to have fallen outward all the way around! Imagine that! :eek: [​IMG]

[ February 20, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: John Wells ]

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

John, you've gotta be kidding! What in the world could cause that??
    (It's probably proof for atheists that the Jericho story is false...they never found the trumpet, right? [​IMG] )
    The link I posted earlier is pretty neat. Doesn't give much info on what I was looking for but has a lot of neat stuff, check it out.
    Did you ever hear the theory on why the Ark of the Covenant only was just an old fashioned magician's trick?
    Gina

12. D.R.

D.R. New Member

John,

I am interested in where you obtained your information from. I have never heard that, and am very skeptical about it being true about Jericho. From what I have learned, Jericho is a problem for Biblical archaeologists because the walls were not found to be damaged. I will have to ask Dr. Ortiz about that. But in the meantime, let me know where I can find info on that. Thanks,
    WE HOLLA
    dr

13. John Wells

John Wells New Member

14. D.R.

D.R. New Member

Thanks John,

I will print them out and take them to my professor to see what he says. I will let you know in a few days what he had to say about it. He knows Kenyon's work well and has worked under her method of digging while in Israel.

D.R.