1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are all "bibles" the word of God?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Spirit and Truth, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Scott,

It is sad to see that when you are confronted with specific details, your only defense is name calling and more attacks.It is so unbecoming of one who claims to be a Christian man AND an educator of our youth. Might I advise that you bring your head pastpr to this thread as well. Also, you might want to bring your students, and let them see how their mentor in Christ responds to others.

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

It is sad to see that when catching you in an error, you resort to this type of nonsense. Why not pursue Truth? Is that something that we should not seek after? Is that an honest question? Instead of admitting that you were wrong, we resort to character attacks? I'm thankful that God is a God who desires Truth - He is a God of order, not chaos.

To respond to the first post you have made, which showed to me that you knew absolutely nothing of Greek, you do not even have the Hebrew letters in the correct order, which makes a huge difference. If you can't even get the letters right, what use is there of responding?

3. Spirit and Truth

Scott:

To respond to the first post you have made, which showed to me that you knew absolutely nothing of Greek, you do not even have the Hebrew letters in the correct order, which makes a huge difference. If you can't even get the letters right, what use is there of responding?

S&T:
    Accusations are easy Scott. Show proof. Are you referring to right /left ordering [ as Hebrew is written], or left/right ordering [re-ordered like English to show pronounciation], or are you saying that they are out of order for correct pronounciation either way. Try being more specific.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any translation is not the real deal. There is always loss in a translation. The inspired version is the only real one. Why do you think so much is made over the issue of textual criticism and what is the original text?

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

S&T,

I agree with (or at least don't disagree with) almost everything you say in every post of yours I've read, but Scott has a good point here. You should always quote your sources. I read the post in question and assumed you wrote it as well, but I know it was an honest mistake on your part.

I think both of you are a little upset and as a result have begun to attack each other's person. I should know, I've been in the same place before. It's a shame because both of you are two of the most reasonable posters we have.

6. Spirit and Truth

Timothy:

I read the post in question and assumed you wrote it as well, but I know it was an honest mistake on your part.

S&T:

No mistake Timothy. I intentionally posted it without Trevor's handle on it to see if Scott would attack his work [he is exceptional in Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic ] as he attacks me everytime I post anything, while he offers no proof of his claims. That is why I stated it this way:

"Since you seem to be speaking from the lofty place of understanding, I was wondering what your opinion of this explanation is?"

Quite frankly, I am tired of his constant attacks and accusations without substantiation. Is Scott reflecting the face and heart of Christ, or that of the "accuser"? I have kids who are Scott's age. I would not accept this behavior from them, should I allow him to respond like this? Thank you Timothy for your balanced view and assesment.

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

You really don't know Hebrew, do you?</font>[/QUOTE]I spent years studying for an orthodox Jewish conversion, and can read (i.e. prnonounce aloud) Hebrew well enough (heh, but understanding it is something else) and I find nothing wrong with this statement. Of course Hebrew reads from right to left, but in every case where a Rabbi (or anyone else) discussed the spelling of a word with me, they always pronounced the individual letters in the same order S&T did. Or is it something else we're both missing?

8. ScottEmerson

You really don't know Hebrew, do you?</font>[/QUOTE]I spent years studying for an orthodox Jewish conversion, and can read (i.e. prnonounce aloud) Hebrew well enough (heh, but understanding it is something else) and I find nothing wrong with this statement. Of course Hebrew reads from right to left, but in every case where a Rabbi (or anyone else) discussed the spelling of a word with me, they always pronounced the individual letters in the same order S&T did. Or is it something else we're both missing? </font>[/QUOTE]Go look at the name in question in the Bible mentioned and see if you see it.

9. ScottEmerson

Your letters are mixed up, leaving your explanation completely bogus.

10. Spirit and Truth

Timothy states:

I spent years studying for an orthodox Jewish conversion, and can read (i.e. prnonounce aloud) Hebrew well enough (heh, but understanding it is something else) and I find nothing wrong with this statement. Of course Hebrew reads from right to left, but in every case where a Rabbi (or anyone else) discussed the spelling of a word with me, they always pronounced the individual letters in the same order S&T did. Or is it something else we're both missing?

S&T responds:

Baruch haba b"Shem Adonai [​IMG]

11. ScottEmerson

And as you saw, I didn't have to attack anything. But because it was a post that was knowledgable and reasonable and showed understanding of the languages, it didn't take me any time to realize that you hadn't written it. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

Trickery isn't a legitimate reason for plagarism. As far as I am concerned, there is no legitimate reason for plagarism.

I caught you twice, and you say that it is without substance?

I would like to believe that it is Christ who wishes men to speak the truth at all times.

Let no man despise your youth. I like how you threw the age-card in there. It shows that you really don't have much of an argument. If you come to a debate board, you should expect that you and your methods will be questioned, especially if you make a claim of being "very familiar with Aramaic and Hebrew" and then can't even come up with an accurate spelling of the word in question. Go back and figure it out again.

12. Spirit and Truth

Scott:

Your letters are mixed up, leaving your explanation completely bogus.

S&T:

Since you have failed to put up the "correct" ordering after many requests, I now have to write you off on this one Scott. No offense intended, but I do not want to get drawn into more fruitless discussion. If you feel that people who hate the Name of Jesus, a Name that many have died for,should be handling D'var Elohim, then that is your choice. I will pass on these "translations".

13. ScottEmerson

And for the record:

The spelling that the Restored Name King James uses for Jesus is "Yod-He-Vav-Shin-Ayin." It is found http://www.eliyah.com/Scripture/books/john3.htm

S&T said:

"If you look at the Hebrew in this "translation", you will find that it is Yod / Hey / Shin / Vav / Ayin"

Can you see a difference? Do you understand why I made the comment that you really aren't "very familiar with Aramaic and Hebrew"? This is too basic to be a mere slip-up. It confirmed what I suspected. You had plenty of chances to look it up and make the correction.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but we as Christians should be honest in all things, including the claims we make about ourselves.

14. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post edited.

Jason

15. Spirit and Truth

Scott,

It appears that you are straining gnats while avoiding the bigger issue, so I will address it again. What is the English rendering of the Hebrew in question, and is it a Hebrew name that appears in the Masoretic text? It is a made up name Scott. His real Name in Hebrew is Yod / Shin / Vav / Ayin.

16. ScottEmerson

Sigh. "Yod-He-Vav-Shin-Ayin" is a Hebrew name (Strong's H3091) and can be found in Zechariah 6:11. (Interestingly enough, in the next verse, there is a prophesy about the Messiah - the Branch.) It is translated in English as Joshua in every version that I can find, and is spelled in Hebrew the way that the Restored Name King James has it. Strong's and the BDB both concur that these are two valid spellings for the same name.

So your answer is: The English rendering is Joshua and, yes, it is found in the Masoretic texts in Zechariah 6:11. Will you concede your point now? And will you admit that you are not "familiar with Aramaic and Hebrew?"

Now, is the straining of gnats finished? Thanks.

17. Spirit and Truth

Scott,

I will concede that when I originally went to the site that I hastily put it up wrong:

"If you look at the Hebrew in this "translation", you will find that it is Yod / Hey / Shin / Vav / Ayin"

I did not go back to look at it again. The way that I put it up renders as YAHshua.[switching shin/vav] a name that is commonly used in the sacred name movement. Now with that said, the way that you try and berate people is still not acceptable. If it somehow makes you feel better about yourself by trying to tear down others by calling them liars and stupid, I am glad that I could be of help. From your version of the scriptures:

If you puff yourself up, you'll get the wind knocked out of you. But if you are content to be yourself, your life will count for plenty.

What was originally said was:

12 And whoever will exalt himself shall be humbled, and whoever will humble himself shall be exalted.

18. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Scott,

My Englishman's Hebrew concordance doesn't do proper names, and my bible software isn't powerful enough to search by specific hebrew spelling. If it's easy for you to check, how many times does Joshua appear with each spelling? Just curious....

19. Spirit and Truth

As i read through all of the various "sacred name" bible info, I guess that this was another point that was confusing:

The Assemblies of Yahweh present this volume to the reader in the humble endeavor to present you with a special gift of greater knowledge. We have restored the Sacred Name and the sacred titles to the English text of the Old Testament as well as returning the Name of Yahshua the Messiah our Redeemer to the text of the New Testament. We have sought to eliminate the Shakespearean English which is no longer employed in modern usage. We have tried to be faithful in rendering the original texts (as closely as we can return to them ).

The text of this volume however, was maintained in strict majesty of expression as befits the Word of our Heavenly Father Yahweh and His Son Yahshua the Messiah. We have not resorted to the modern corrupt slang common in American English. While striving to make the text of the Bible more understandable for the modern reader, the majesty with which the Bible was written was not sacrificed. Therefore, this text emphasizes our need to think of the Heavenly Father and Messiah on a higher level. We hope you will enjoy The Sacred Scriptures, Bethel Edition. Read it and accept it as the very word of our Heavenly Father Yahweh.

20. ScottEmerson

Might I suggest that you learn Hebrew and then you'll be able to tell for yourself? The same stuff was happening in the Message thread regarding Greek. The problem is that you still have not corrected your statement about being "very familiar with Aramaic and Hebrew." I'm not calling you stupid - I am questioning the veracity of this statement. Because what you said then and what you have shown in this and other threads, the two are incongruent. Thus, I have no choice but to believe that you are not familiar with Aramaic or Hebrew. I am glad that you have conceded the point - do you understand now why I didn't immediately answer this way? Your answer showed me that which I suspected, and I gave you a chance to explain yourself, which you still have not.

You'll notice that I didn't clamor about my own experience in the languages. Instead, I held you to your own standard. Why prooftext Scripture instead of admitting the truth - you lied about being "very familiar with Aramaic and Hebrew." Shall I place some Scriptures about not speaking the truth here for you?