1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are All Going to Be Saved?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by neal4christ, Mar 15, 2004.

1. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

This question is directed towards Catholics; so universalists, please refrain from debate! [​IMG]

I talked one-on-one to a local Catholic priest and he said some things that made me wonder. He hinted that all people will eventually be saved and in heaven (really, he more than hinted; he all but outright said it). Then I saw someone on this board quote Mel Gibson to the effect that he believed all people will eventually be in heaven. Is this orthodox Catholic teaching? Could you point me to some Catholic sources on this topic? It would be much appreciated!

In Christ,
    Neal

2. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

3. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

I asked a Catholic friend of mine, and this was his reply to me. He also told me that this all is backed up in the Catechism (which is not their 'second bible' only a clarification of their beliefs), CCC 1861

4. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Who is your friend? Aren't we supposed to cite our quotes??

I've read that the Pope now says that people of all faiths, including non-believers can go to heaven.

5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Catholic teaching is that there is Hell and those who do not belong to Jesus Christ will spend eternity there. Jesus Christ died for all men, but all men will not go to heaven. The Catechism of the Catholic Church contains the teaching in detail.

6. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

My friend is a Catholic and cannot register here, so I quoted him for you. However, all he was saying is a restatement in his own words of the CCC paragraph 1861. It says precisely that there will be people in hell for all eternity.

Futhermore, saying that people CAN be saved is not at all the same thing as saying they WILL be saved.

The will, not the can, was the focus of the original question, and that has now been answered.

7. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Then,(and I'm asking respectfully), is the Pope talking about when he says that non-believers can go to heaven?

(Didn't see AD's response until I already posted. This question was for Kathryn)

8. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

I thought Catholics were welcome here.

9. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

It might help to read what he actually said. Why don't you share with us what he said in context. Scripture tells us that His brothers and sisters are those who do the will of His Father. Not all Catholics are going to be saved, not all Baptists, and not all who call out Lord, Lord.

10. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

I'm sorry Kathryn, my information has been gleaned from reading various posts on the board. If I have misstated what the pope said, I apologize. I do remember that it had something to do with Muslims and the fact that they could be saved while they denied Christ's deity. I'll do some checking to solidify my question. [​IMG]

11. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

This is unwritten, but Catholics are not allowed to register and post even in the Other Relgions Forum. Carson and Grant and maybe some others have been banned. Only the few remaining that have old memberships. This is probably the reason answers to questions regarding Catholicism are not being answered very quickly. Very few Catholics left. I think the plan is to eventually not have any Catholic presence.

12. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Forgive me if I am being rude, but your profile says that you are Catholic and you have a registration date. There are a number of Catholics who post here regularly. Do you mean that you can't post on all forums? AD's friend would be able to post in this forum.

13. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Whoa!! Don't know what happened there! Half of your post wasn't there when I replied to it, and then it was there when my post appeared. Freaky!!

14. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I can post because I have on old membership, and they haven't dismissed me yet. Anyone who tries to register and admits they are Catholic in their registration profile is denied membership. This has been unwritten policy for quite a while.

15. JustAsIAm

JustAsIAm New Member

Wow, I guess that can happen on a private board. Got to say, I've had some thought provoking discussions with some of the Catholics here.

16. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Yes, private boards have this right. The reason given to the Catholics here for denying membership is that they say we are not Born Again, and they want only Born Again Christians on their Other Religions board. Of course Catholics are born again but BaptistBoard doesn't recognize Catholics as born again Christians.

17. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Thanks for the responses! The priest did not come outright and say all would be saved, but that was the impression he left on me. I may of misunderstood or he had a poor choice of words. Thanks for the Catechism reference. I don't believe it is their second Bible....I have one of my own. I just didn't think to look it up in there (for some unknown reason that only the good Lord knows [​IMG] ).

In Christ,
    Neal

18. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

No, it is not the teaching of the Church that all will eventually be in Heaven.

This obvioulsy is in conflict with the Church's teaching concerning the effect of unrepented mortal sin and the Church's rejection of "once saved always saved".

19. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

Kathryn,

How does a Catholic become born again?

20. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

By water and spirit.

Catholics are made members of God's family and the Church at Baptism. Infants first enter into the Covenant through the desires and promises of their parents.

Later, upon reaching an age of consent, those Catholics baptized as infants, make a personal commitment to Christ in Confirmation.

The complete rite of initiation into the Covenant and the Church includes both Baptism and Confirmation.