1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are America's Churches Overly Dramatized?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

How does this tragic event in Illinois tie in with condemning the above items? I fail to see the connection.

BTW, I think watching Left Behind should be condemned because it's a horrible movie based on an even worse book.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a silly premise to begin a thread like this on.

Several years ago at Wedgewood Baptist Church where a gunman walked in on a youth rally and murdered several people everyone thought, initially, it was a prank.

Our perception of reality at the moment of crisis is skewed to anticipate innocence when in a context of presumed safety.

I've talked with people who were at Columbine during the shootings who thought it was a couple of kids causing trouble but nothing evil. They were obviously wrong.

We can't use this incident to predicate an attack on churches that desire to use creative methods of communication to help a media driven audience better connect with the Gospel.

Dr. Winter's (the slain pastor) wife has even suggested he approached this young man believing he was coming forward to receive Christ at that moment. We should never impale a good church on the actions of an evil person.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

"O God, I thank Thee that I am not like the publican..."

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Only God knows at this time whether the seduction of the Church by the world had anything to do with the shooting. However, your description above fits too many of the activities that occur in churches today, anything is acceptable that shortens or eliminates good expositional preaching.

My suggestion for churches is:

1. Disband the choir and seat them with the congregation.
    2. Eliminate all musical instruments so congregational singing can be heard.
    3. Eliminate singing Christmas Trees, dramas, and all such tomfoolery.

I heard of one incident in Knoxville, Tennessee where the pastor had himself pulled on a cable from the pulpit to the balcony over the heads of the congregation to simulate the ascension of Jesus Christ. Unreal!

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Are America's Churches Overly Dramatized?

In my opinion yes, but I don't agree that the shooting is evidence of that.

In this situation I agree completely with the reasoning previously stated by rbell

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Keep praying this prayer, you'll make a great democrat someday...

7. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Please don't misunderstand---My intent was not to discuss this particular church, but to explain how I arrived at my musings.

Rbell makes a lot of sense here:

As far as many not believing that 9/11 was real, I would say it is the same as I've mentioned----that we are desensitized by entertainment, making it hard to believe reality.

I'm also of the opinion that it's this same desensitizing that makes people think less about their mortality and eternal destiny, especially kids, who are easily bored these days with even the best of graphics video games/movies.

I expect that of the world, but I also think it has crept into the church and it concerns me. We do not need to be entertaining people.

8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I get fussed at alot for my displeasure with Saddleback/Rick Warren.

My biggest gripe is that many churches look at Saddleback and their many different styles of worship as the example to follow. If Saddleback was unheard of, and wasnt setting the standard for modern churches, then I would say more power to them, do what you want to. But the worldly influence they have on churches everywhere is amazing, and destructive.

But the truth is that the big attraction to their church is the entertainment. Too much drama.

Look folks, if you want entertainment, just go to the movies....if you want to worship God, then find a church that is centered around worshiping God, and not entertaining the congregation.

AJ

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

[​IMG]

Now that there's crazy talk.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

We use drama at our church on occasion.

But here's our view and philosophy: it illustrates the point. It is not the point.

Also...I've seen some churches use drama because "hey, we haven't used it in a while," or "Hey, this drama is really cool...let's build a sermon/service around it." We don't do that. We use drama when it really nails a point home.

Two other venues we use drama that aren't worship-oriented:
    We occasionally will do 1-2 minute skits during our announcement time at the end of worship to promote big events...things like VBS. But those are done right as we are going out the door.

Also, we do use drama quite a bit oustside of worship...things like comedies, dinner theaters, etc., but that ain't worship settings. Those, of course, are fun things geared at fellowship.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could it possibly be that people in churches are so used to watching TV that another shooting is just a day in the life of an American and would be unexpected in a church setting?