1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Baptists Being Affected by the Emergent Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, May 8, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I was in my weekly pastoral fellowship yesterday and the subject came up.

I don't have any stats on the matter. Does anyone have anything on the matter?

Do you know of any Baptist church going Emergent?

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

TCGreek, At the risk of seemingly being out of the loop, would you please describe this "Emergent Church" in depth? Is this a prosperity gospel movement? Just what is it? Is Rick Warren involved? Joel Osteen?

I'm so confused!

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmmm....this thread is going to turn bad, I think. Mainly because no one person has the same definition of "emergent" as another.

I think that many Baptists are becoming more involved with nondenominational networks, specifically the Acts29 Network. Although it is a nondenominational church planting network, it has a good relationship with many Southern Baptists. Again, depending on who you talk to, something like Acts29 may or may not be considered "emergent" or "emerging", or whatever name you want to use.

Just my observations.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Here's a definition I've found helpful:

"The emerging church or emergent church is a diverse movement within Christianity that arose in the late 20th century as a reaction to the influence of modernism in Western Christianity. The movement is usually called a "conversation" by its proponents to emphasize its diffuse nature with contributions from many people and no explicitly defined leadership or direction. The emerging church seeks to deconstruct and reconstruct Christianity as its mainly Western members live in a postmodern culture."

DA Carson's "Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church" is quite helpful too.

Rick Warren would not fit the bill. Other the other hand, Joel Osteen might have a smack of it, but is not really known as part of the Emergent village.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are plenty of Emerging Churches in the convention. I believe there are at least a few emergent churches. Both are effecting the convention in large and distructive ways.

Neither the Ermergent nor the Emerging church has anything to do with the prosperity gospel, RW or JO. In fact thaey think they are in opposition to them. The truth is they have wandered off just as far away.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Brian McClaren is the name most associated with the Emergent Church movement. You can google it.

From what I understand, he doesn't believe in the inerrancy of scripture, all roads lead to heaven, ect...Definitely false teachings that "creep into the church unnoticed."

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depends on what you mean.

I suggest yes, and that it is not a good thing, bad thing but just something is happening. There are many good friends of mine in both emergent and emerging churches and I pray with and for them daily. We partner for the glory of God when able.

If anything the Emerging/ents are helping pull our fine convention (kicking and screaming) into this century for effective ministry. Many of my seminary friends have started emerging/ent churches recently. That is probably something that is going on.

Again, I don't have a problem with this. It is just the way things are. I hope the conversation stays civil. :)

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I was about to predict you would be coming along any time in this thread!

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thanks Brothers, and I think I'll go and look for that book TCGreek suggests. :thumbs:

10. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

McClaren certainly represents the left wing of the emerging movement - there are plenty who are far to the right of him.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

From an article in Christianity Today.

Link:

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2006/01/brian_mclaren_o.html

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

While I agree that Mclaren has some thoughts that we should be concerned about....I think the biggest problem when people talk about this issue is that it usually leads with "From what I understand", or "I've heard", or "McArthur says".

Read the "A New Kind of Christian" trilogy. He is a really good writer, so it won't be boring. Plus you'll definitely get a good grasp at why he is so controversial.

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

For what it's worth I would discourage anyone from reading DA Carson's text. In order to become conversant one would assume he conversed...in reading it I doubt that is the case.

I would, instead, recommend some emerging/ent publications from the actual innovators in the movement like:

Dan Kimball's Emerging Churches: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
    Mark Driscoll's Listening to the Beliefs of the Emerging Church
    Len Sweet's The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives
    Alan Hirsch's The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church

These are far better than Carson...particularly because they are in the middle of the conversation and not walking in on bits and pieces.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What's wrong with Carson's text?

What exactly is Driscoll?

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I understand where you're coming from. We don't want to present opinion as if it is fact, but I posted an article where Brian McClaren was speaking his own views, so I didn't just give an opinion.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So we will get a good grasp only if we read the authors you approve of.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Only for those grounded in Scripture. New or weak believers probably should not read those type of books. Personally I would not spend money on the "emerging publications" unless I was forced to. Secondary sources will be find for the average Christian.

EDIT TO ADD:

I have not read Carson's book on this subject, but I do trust his opinion. Having said that, his books can be rather academic and therefore difficult for the average lay person to read. In fact an amazon.com review of his book shows that this book is no exception. It says that it is "for the intellect" and that it contains "difficult sentences and words". So people should keep this in mind before they spend money on his book.

#17 Martin, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I quite agree with your assessment, Martin.

The biggest problem with guys like McLaren and other is epistemological; all his social concerns are just a front.

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I didn't approve of anything. McLaren was mentioned as one of the most mentioned when it comes to Emergent, along with some thoughts about him.

I just suggested reading what he says so we can know why he's so controversial and not trust everything McArthur, or anyone else says.

I think the trilogy I mentioned is a good place to begin for the main reasons he has become so controversial.

20. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Martin, I'm a little shocked at that! First of all, what is wrong with any of those authors/books that was mentioned?

I'm a little surprised to read a scholar, studious person such as yourself suggest that secondary sources are good enough.

If I were a new or "weak" believer (according to who's standards, by the way?) I'd be a little offended at that!