1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Baptists Being Affected by the Emergent Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, May 8, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I've read McLaren, and I must agree that he has made some good points, but he has an epistemological problem.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Who mentioned MacArthur? I used a quote from McClaren himself. Straight from the horses mouth.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In line with my last reply allow me to recommend a good book that will provide people with a brief summary and refutation of the so-called "emerging church". The book is "The Truth War" by Dr. John MacArthur. It is written on a popular level and does a good job refuting the errors of the emerging movement.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amy, in his Truth War, MacArthur has exposed the likes of McLaren.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm not saying anything against the quotes you mentioned. I agree about the problem there.

I still say read the horse's trilogy. You'll have a greater voice when you explain your problems with him.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Martin, we overlapped. :thumbs:

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. I've read it. Excellent book. :thumbs:

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I still want to know what is wrong with the other authors/books mentioned!

It is hard to get it with just this book, or even coupled with Carson's book.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Just my kind of read. :thumbs: Besides, From what I've read from TCGreek I trust his judgment and even so I am founded in what I believe even if I were to read DanE's suggestions as well. :thumbs:

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark Driscoll has completely denounced the Emergent Church. As he has grown spiritually he has set aside most of those ideologies he held to when he hung out with Dan and Brian.

Dan Kimball is steeped in relativism (with regards to scripture), and quite frankly with all his instance that there are some things we can't know it looks alot like open theism. Dan and Brian hold to the notion that what we understand about the church needs to be deconstructed.

I dont know the other two yahoos but if they hang out with Dan and Brian well that says it all.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==If we are talking about the same list, then we are talking about people reading books that are promoting heresy. New and/or weak believers should not try to read those books. Why not? They probably don't know enough to discern truth from error. The emerging movement is very deceptive. This should not surprise us though, false doctrine usually is. I am only giving people a caution. New believers and weak believers don't need to be reading error.

==I am only saying that secondary sources are good enough for the average lay person or pew warmer. I am not saying that secondary sources are enough for people who are wishing to do a detailed study of the issue. Obviously such people need to deal with the primary sources. Even there, however, I would issue a word of caution. Before anyone sets out to study these type things they need to make sure they are grounded in the truth first. It is way too easy to get thrown around by nice sounding false doctrine.

==I don't want this to be read the wrong way but, such a person getting offended by my words would be fine with me. I am much more comfortable with someone being affended at something I say then blindly walking into something they don't know anything about and getting themselves into trouble. I wish someone had issued some warnings for me when I was a new believer. I got so messed up on some things that it literally took me several years to get straightened back out again. False doctrine and error is nothing to play with and it is certainly not something people need to be trying to deal with if they don't know what they are doing. My advice to people is get grounded first. Then start moving into apologetics.

I hope that helps you understand my position. :wavey:

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I love how the faith is viewed with pure academic analogies. I get what you're saying, though. I've been around that environment enough to get you.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==What can I say? Great minds think alike!! :laugh:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

That is why I asked preachinjesus to address Mark Driscoll.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm for that one. :thumbs:

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Driscoll is popular among SBCers because he is reformed in his theology. I truly admire him for his faith he's had as he's planted, pastored, and stood up for what he believes in, and doing it in an unorthodox way. Meaning he believed he was called so he went to the Bible and mimicked the way Jesus did things. He didn't hear a calling, then go straight to seminary. He was one of the originals of the emergent church, but got out of there when guys like McLaren joined the bunch. They not only started changing the looks of church, but started changing the beliefs too. Driscoll, though popular among conservatives, still has those who can't stand him. He is a little rough....but I think his personality is good for the church.

I really appreciate him. To get a good idea of what he is about, read "Radical Reformission". Great book. A good primary resource :thumbs:

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Okay....for all of you who hate non SBC primary resources....here's another good book that is challenging. I think it addresses some of the reasons there is an emerging movement.

"The Present Future" by Reggie McNeal

Is that a good enough primary source for all the weaklings, Martin?

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Excuse me? I gave my opinion, which you are free to disagree with. I called nobody "weaklings". I gave a caution about new believers reading works of heresy. If you can't see the danger in new or weak believers reading works of heresy then that is your issue and not mine.

20. queenbee

queenbee Member

This sounds like a good read for most 'average' Christians. I don't know much about the emerging/emergent church, but do know there has been some real controversy. So maybe this might be helpful for this layperson to read up on.