1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are believers/bible necessary in the salvation process?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jdcanady, Jul 20, 2005.

1. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

Does God only bring people to salvation through the witness of other believers, preaching or through reading of scripture. Or...does God still communicate directly to non-believers in order to bring them to salvation? This is not a question of "can" God communicate directly, it is "does" He communicate directly to non-believers for salvation, i.e. in a country with no Christian witness?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 10:13-15, 17
    Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.
    How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?
    How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!”

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

My thoughts:

1. God gave the church the great commission in order to bring others to Him.
    We have a great and terrifying responsibility.

2. God communicates through His Word. If God still communicates directly then the canon is not complete and we should be recording these "direct communications".

Rob

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was drawn to Christ through a series of "impressions" I got apparently from God (though I did not understand what was happening at the time), but I trusted Christ while reading Matthew. I have heard other stories like this -- people drawn to Christ via dreams, feelings, etc. but salvation comes through reading God's word, hearing it, hearing the gospel, being witnessed to, etc.

4. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Romans 10: 13-15 says it plain to me.

The question used to be asked "Are you biblically saved?"

The Unsaved must hear the Word of God to be saved. Thank the Lord we have many, many ways an individual can hear it. radio, internet etc...

5. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

I Corinthians 1:21 "For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe."

It does appear that scripture indicates that God has ordained the message, (Christ crucified for forgiveness of sins: I Cor. 15:1-8), and the messengers (Matt 28:19-20: i.e. believers), and the means (I Corinthians 1:21, Romans 10:13-15, Matt 28) preaching/proclaimation/witnessing of the gospel, that will bring His children into a saving relationship with Himself.

The question has been given to me concerning those who obviously could not have had been exposed to the gospel by ordinary means. All the people of the world throughout history who have never heard the name of Jesus Christ, or have come into contact with a Christian missionary, etc.

Titus 2:11: "for the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men", if this means a salvific grace or call to accept the gospel(I do not hold this view), then would it not follow that God must have made a special/direct revelation of Christ/the gospel to these people who have no Christian witness?

Would it violate scripture if God so acted?