1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are C.S.Lewis books good??

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Rachel, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I was wondering if the C.S.Lewis books are good? I have heard they are but I have never read any. I have seen several at the Christian book store and thought of buying them for my Christmas present. [​IMG]

Rachel

2. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Screw Tape Letters is excellent. If you like fiction that really gets you thinking you will get this book.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CS Lewis had problems. So do many authors. Some like his allegorical-style writing. I don't.

Just be informed, it is only semi-Christian.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob and I have a longstanding disagreement about Lewis.

Lewis was a high-church Anglican, so you'll find things that don't fit Baptist doctrine. If that bothers you, then you should probably stay away.

But he was not a theologian; he was an apologist for Christianity, and on that level I think he succeeds very well.

I actually prefer his non-allegorical writings, especially "God in the Dock," a collection of essays adapted from his BBC radio program.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Don't buy ME any Rachel! I'm with Dr. Bob and rsr gives you some good insight also.

6. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Thanks alot everyone. I really don't know much about the man, just heard he was pretty good. I read many different things from many kinds of people so that doesn't bother me in the least. [​IMG]

Rachel

7. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I consider his works thought provoking and well written . . . not entirely doctrinally correct, of course, but then he IS anglican . . .

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have a hard time reading him, but others like him.

9. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Love him. Not a theologian, but one heck of a critical thinker. He understood Biblical principles and he understood human nature quite well.

I've read pretty much everything he ever wrote, and while I have some disagreements here and there (even some major ones), I am with the crowd who considers him to be one of the greatest men of God from the last century.

Non-fiction:

"Mere Christianity"

"The Abolition of Man"

Fiction:
    "Perelendra" from the space trilogy (can be read seperately)

"The Chronicles of Narnia" - I grew up on these.

"Till We Have Faces"

10. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I bought his book "A Grief Observed". I have a hard time understanding it. There was at least one thing he said that made me uncomfortable. Lewis said he prayed for the dead.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You kidding? The Chronicles of Narnia are awesome reading.

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I agree Johnv.

I also agree that a Christian would like the Screwtape letters. They are letters from a demon to high nephew (I think) another demon, who is giving his young apprentice advice on how to handle a man that he is supposed to keep away from Christianity.

The reading is fairly easy also.

13. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

cs lewis was no Christian! He made confession on a weekly basis to a catholic priest. lewis believed in purgatory and prayed for the dead. lewis received the roman catholic rite of extreme unction as he was dying. he also denied the literal, historical value of Job and Genesis; saying they are full of fables. lewis denied bodily resurrection and rejected the depravity of man. Further, he denied the substitutionary atonement of Christ. He also embraced evolution; and never repented of his involvement in the occult, before he called himself a "christian".
    lewis was a writer; an intelligent one and a philosopher. but he was a heathen, and did not love the Christ of the Bible. Anyone picking up his materials needs to come to grips with this, and stop elevating him as some great Christian from the past. The liberal ilk has blinded those of a more conservative bent, so that cs lewis is a "sacred cow" amongst most evangelicals; and anyone saying what he truly was is castigated as evil. My sources are easy enough to find: Miles J. Sanford researched lewis and reported about him (Sanford's website is still up; though he has gone to be with the Lord). Biblical Discernment ministry also arrives at the same conclusions; as do other evangelical (and even Baptist) students of informed, Biblical truth.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I still like the Chronicles of Narnia.

15. Exile

Exile New Member

I don't pretend to know what Lewis' standing before God was, but I can say that I gleaned some useful material from his books. I disagree with him on a number of points, but thankfully I know enough about the Bible to discern truth from error. If I read only books that perfectly conformed to my theology, my library would be quite small.

16. mioque

mioque New Member

Lil Sister
    "He made confession on a weekly basis to a catholic priest."
    "lewis received the roman catholic rite of extreme unction as he was dying."
    "
    Lewis was part of the ANGLICAN denomination of Christianity.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, mioque, but these are solid facts of Roman Catholic action.

Many in America do not realize that Anglican or Episcopal is truly Roman Catholic in English garb. They are actually very close theologically and many do not understand it is no big thing for an Anglican to receive last rites from a Roman.

18. mioque

mioque New Member

Dr. Bob
    This getting vague.
    Are we talking about the Anglican Lewis receiving from the Anglican Church sacraments (Last Rites&Confessional) one normally doesn't find on the Protestant side of the faith.
    Or are we talking about the Anglican Lewis receiving from the Roman Catholic Church sacraments (Last Rites&Confessional) that he also could have gotten from his own denomination.

19. Grace

Grace New Member

Taking a "different standpoint" Lewis is not one of my favorites. He's ok, I just like others better. However, I did have to read some CS Lewis in High School, and I found it much better than what I could have been reading! So--as a "forced read" I enjoyed it.

20. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

lewis was greatly influenced by jrr tolkien. tolkien was a rabid roman catholic. Yes, lewis was becoming a roman catholic in his later years. It is important to realize that all that we read, listen to, take part in, must come under the yoke of Christ and His law. We don't have a separate life away from Jesus. "Even" our entertainment must glorify Him, or we reap chastisement.
    Thus, Romans 12:1,2; 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 and other verses tell us what we should associate with and what we should not.
    It is beyond me how any Bible-loving, born-again Christian would want anything to do with the enemies of our faith!