1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Calvinists in danger of HELL FIRE??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bismarck, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

Matt 5:22
    But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

The Greek word translated "fool" is moros (G3474), which gives us the word "moron".

Now, looking back into the Greek Old Testament (LXX), this Greek word moros usually reflects the Hebrew word nabal (H5036) in the Hebrew Old Testament (Deut 32:6, Isaiah 32:5-6; cf. Jer 5:21).

And, nabal usually means "impious, abandoned, wicked" (Gesenius' Lexicon).

Now,

In Jewish thought there were three classes of people: The unrighteous (who were predestined for hell), the sinners (the average people who needed to come into full compliance with the commandments), and the righteous (or saints), who followed the commandments. Of these groups, only the righteous had their names written in the Book of Life.

http://centralcal.com/crist2.htm

Thus, it seems that what Jesus is warning against is calling someone nabal, to wit, "impious", "wicked", and "abandoned [by God]".

So, those who allege that their brothers are abandoned by God (nabal) are in danger of truly being abandoned by God themselves.

As it is written, "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you" (Matt 7:2). And even, "And He was saying to them, 'Take care what you listen to. By your standard of measure it will be measured to you; and more will be given you besides'" (Mark 4:24).

YHWH-God alone has the Authority to deem these matters.

James 4:11-12, 5:9
    Do not speak against one another, brethren. He who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks against the law and judges the Law; but if you judge the Law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge of it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor? ... Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door.

Romans 14:4,10,13
    Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand... But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God... Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this — not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.

Hebrews 10:30, 12:23
    For we know Him who said, " VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY " And again, " THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE"... to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,

May we all be given the strength, and wit, and wisdom to do Thy Will, our Dear Heavenly Father, and hold back from judging amongst our frail selves. Amen.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And your point is...?

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

what?

Yet another Calvinist bashing? This is like the 5th thread in less then 2 weeks started by Bismarck along these lines. This is the same as questioning our salvation

Lets see if the non-Calvinist that say "we are all ONE ...brothers in Christ" will come forward and reprimand this thread for the hate it shows. Time will tell.

1st...if Your verses in James means what you claim, then why would you start this thread? Hell fire? Indeed

Mind you, I'm not saying that your reading of James is right, but rather if this is what you believe it means why would you start this thread, for you have just done what you said should not happen. humm

again we can ask the same in Romans 14:4,10,13 :)

Hebrews 10:30, 12:23 is so far out of line...no need to go there.

ok...now what will be your next thread? Not sure...but My guess it will include another Calvinist bashing. :)

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

Huh? Can you give an example where a Calvinist on this board has done this?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Lets see, those going to hell are the unsaved, if you ask are calvinists going to hell, aren't you attcking the calvinists salvation. Isn't that against bb rules?
    I ahve never challenged anyone salvation based on them being armenian

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

And your scripture for this is..... what?
    Ah, I see, in order to further attack the calvinist and challenge thier salvation you must seek others texts outside scripture, why, becasue scipture simply does not support you.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Let me get this straight (from one Non-Cal to another):

You ask if those who hold to the Soveriegn Grace doctrines are going to go to hell based upon that faulty and godless accertion against them. Your declaration assumes or postulates they declare they know who the elect are and who are not. As if they state 'You are without a doubt going to hell"?

Being that Math 5:22 is actaully about 'Judging a persons salvation' it is funny to me that this is exactly what it this thread about...hmmmm. :rolleyes: Go figure.

#7 Allan, Sep 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2007
  8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Yet the very title of your post assumes the worst.

2. I challenge you to step forward and tell us why you should not be considered equally judgmental as those you are accusing of being judgmental.

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

bismarck,

1. That condemnation "rubs both ways." From time to time we all question another's presence in the kingdom.

2. Mt 5-7 concerns the law in the physical MK. It is unclear which ones, though some do, apply to the present spiritual kingdom of Christ but this one appears to be MK-based.

3. The assertion you make is in bad taste.

skypair

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What is the purpose of this thread? How can you get any fruitful exchange of ideas started with that opening?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well here is one non cal James that doesn't agree with the OP and reprimands this kind of nonsensical posting. I would never claim a cal is in danger of hell fire for being a cal.

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know we all hate to see this kind of attack on fellow believers with whom we might disagree and we all should defend against this kind of silly attack, but there comes a point where we ought to adapt the time honored adage of
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Here is another. :thumbs:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well that four James. Will your side now come to our defense and do the same by reprimanding your own when we are told that we serve another "god"? ;)

Hasn't happened in the past... :tear:

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

By emphasizing "Grace only" Calvinists turn their back on Christ's command to "Come and follow me.' This would constitute a work by Calvinist standards. Jesus also said:

Luk 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
    Luk 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have [sufficient] to finish [it]?
    Luk 14:29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish [it], all that behold [it] begin to mock him,
    Luk 14:30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
    Luk 14:31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
    Luk 14:32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
    Luk 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
    Luk 14:34 Salt [is] good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?

Calvinists sit smugly and say that God predestined them as one of the elect before the beginnings of time. How do you know that you're one of the elect? Christ stressed the need to count the cost and to follow Him whether or not that leads to martyrdom or harsh treatment in this life. But here I'm talking about works again. In this case. it's not me but Christ our Lord instead. You can refute His words if you care to try.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You know not of what you speak.

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

SNAP!!!!

That was the sound of the OP logic stretched way beyond the breaking point.

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Yes, I do. Do you know anything about what you speak?

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've seen several here mention that the op is challenging the salvation of calvinists, then isn't that breaking bb rules?

20. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't know of any Christian (Calvinist or not) who views their saved state with smugness. And all the Christians I know who do believe the Doctrines of Grace of the Reformation (or "Calvinism" to use your word) are the very opposite of smug. They know that God saved them although there was nothing good in them that should motivate Him to do so, and He did it in a way that was tremedously costly to Himself. Such a belief does not lead to smugness. You might just as well say that a non-Calvinistic person might be smug because they "went forward" at a tent meeting, or "prayed the sinner's prayer", or signed their name on a decision card. (Note - I am not accusing non-Calvinists of actually thinking like that, just that it is no more accurate to accuse Calvinists of smugness as it would be to accuse non-Calvinists of the same thing.)