1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Catholics Christian?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by shaneg, Aug 28, 2005.

?
  1. No it is not possible to be RC and a true Christian

86.1%
  2. Yes it is possible to be RC and a true Christian

13.9%
  3. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I wouldn't know. Did you get saved by following the tenets of the Roman Catholic Church or did you get saved by faith in Christ?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wouldn't know. Did you get saved by following the tenets of the Roman Catholic Church or did you get saved by faith in Christ? </font>[/QUOTE]I got saved that way all of my Catholic friends got saved. Faith in Christ. A lot of those friends are still Catholic.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I am still unclear about what you are saying. Did you and/or your relatives and friends get saved by following the tenets, teachings, and directives of the Roman Catholic Church about what the Roman Catholic Church requires in order to get to heaven or did they get saved contrary to the Roman Catholic Church's tenets, teachings, and directives and get saved by faith in Christ with no other works required?

I, too, have friends and relatives who are Catholic. Love them dearly. That does not change the fact that what the Roman Catholic Church teaches is contrary to the teachings of the Bible. The two teachings on the way of salvation are incompatable and cannot both be true.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Unfortunately, I think my answer will meet with boos, hisses, and shouts of "no, it can't be" from various members of the peanut gallery, but here goes:

When I was young, I practiced Catholicism, as did most of my friends. With the exception of a nun in my earlier gradeschool years who was so old she knew Jesus Christ personally, I was never taught that works saves you. I was always taught that we are sinners, that the penalty for sin is death, that Christ pays the price of our sins, and that to be saved, we must be in a relationship with Christ (I'm being basic, but you get the point). I was, however, taught that a person who is in a relationship with Christ must engage in works to live out that relationship. I gave my life to Christ in high school, as did many of my friends (some of the in college). I stayed in the Catholic Church until my college years, but many of my friends are still practicing Catholics. I didn't even have a clue that there was a notion of "Catholic believe in works-based salvation" until years after I stopped practicing Catholicism.

Yes, I'm sure that there are Catholics who believe that, especially those of the pre-Vatican II era. But hey, there are quite a few Baptists who don't believe you're saved unless you're Baptised as a believer, or unless you're totally immersed, etc.

So, to answer you question, I got saved because I gave my life to Christ, not so-and-so Catholic Church, not so-and-so Baptist Fellowship, etc. My salvation is secure despite these churches, not because of them. One's denomination or affiliation doesn't save you, nor does it give ou any more security. We're going to be surprised at how many Catholics might be in heaven. Hopefully, we won't be surprised by how many Baptists aren't.

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

No boos or hisses, just conversation.

1. Following the tenets of the Roman Catholic Church will result in your never being saved. In order to get saved you must rebel and reject their teachings even if you remain a member.

2. Following the tenets of some Baptist Churches will result in your never being saved. In order to get saved you must rebel and reject their teachings even if you remain a member.

3. Following the tenets of most Baptist Churches will result in your salvation because they following the Biblical teaching of salvation.

4. Being a member of any church will guarantee you nothing. Being a member of any church will not preclude you from heaven.

6. Joanna

Joanna New Member

I just want to recommend this book: Fifty Years in the Church of Rome by Charles Chiniquy. He was a priest that got converted. The book was out of print at one time; I don't know if it still is, but it is available free to read online.
    A fascinating read! [​IMG]

7. mioque

mioque New Member