1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Catholics saved or even christians?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Soulman, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I will answer, although it is not addressed to me.

It seems very clear that John cares and knows official Roman doctrine. And that he cares about individual Roman catholics or he would not spend his time on these boards with.

Your questions are absurd, pointless, and contentious. But if you don't have an argument or defense of your beliefs, then the natural thing to do is attack someone's person.

That said, I have personally have contended that while the papacy is rife with heresy, the main issue is on the doctrine of justification.

I read a comment one time that said that if a person gets justification wrong, they get the Gospel wrong. I could not agree more.

What we have today is too many smooth-talking salesmen. There is an attitude that runs the line of thinking as "Look, our differences aren't that great. We can be friends and brothers/sisters in Christ!" This is also known as ecumenism.

For a Roman catholic to say that the papacy believes we are saved by faith alone, in christ alone, et. is disengenious unless they misunderstand their own church's official doctrine.

Because of slick talkers, terms need to be defined. If you say you believe we are justified by faith alone, then define what you mean by that. Does faith alone mean faith without works, or does it mean faith and the works that follow faith? Or do you mean faith and the works that improve it?

However you would define it, do so. Or we can simply use the above canons as our basis if you are an individual roman catholic who disagrees with the above statements.

#81 ReformedBaptist, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  2. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Sola Gratia, Solo Christo: The Roman Catholic Doctrine of Justification
    What does Sola Gratia, Solo Christo mean??

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

How come everyone here claims to know what Catholic doctrine is, but when a Catholic claims to know what their own doctrine is, that person gets rebuffed?

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what Christians believe sola gratia means. We believe it means salvation by grace alone, without any works or any merit of the individual.

Are you claiming that Catholics believe this? If this is true, then how do you reconcile this with ex ecclesia nulla salas and Purgatory, when sinners must go, according to Catholicism, to expiate their own sins?

5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, if a Catholic claims that Catholicism doesn't teach that the purpose of Purgatory is for sinners to expiate their own sins, and a Christian comes along and shows from the Catholic Church's own sources that the purpose of Purgatory is for sinners to expiate their own sins, who is right?

6. ReformedBaptist

If you read my above post, I asked Roman Catholics to define what they mean. Why are you asking what it means?

7. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

It was a couple of questions, ReformedBaptist -- and they were not to you.

Since when is asking someone a couple of questions an attempt to "attack someone's person"? No one was attacked.

I was curious. I thought his answer might be helpful to Lori4dogs too.

JohnDeereFan was the person to whom those questions were asked. They were questions in the strictest sense of the word: a request for information. You are the person who is trying to escalate this into some sort of personal conflict.

JohnDeereFan, who was the recipient of those questions, has the right to answer those questions or to choose not to. I have no intention of trying to argue with either of you.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Aside from the fact it's obvious that you presume Catholics as a whole aren't Christians, I would accept a Catholic's response, since it is the Catholic who is living the faith with which one is taking issue with.

9. ReformedBaptist

First, welcome to a PUBLIC discussion. When you post a question to a particular person expect to get answers and comments from others. That is what a public discussion is.

DUH.

Second, you didn't deal with the arguments and points he made. YOu questioned his motives implying they were less than honorable and I called you out for your ad hom.

Next.

10. ReformedBaptist

Then I would conclude that there is as many "truths" within catholocism as there are those claiming to be roman catholic and its worse than I thought.

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So a rank and file Catholic is better suited to define Catholic doctrine than the Catholic Church, itself?

That makes no sense. What if two Catholics disagree? Isn't there a need for the Catholic Church to have an objective and authoritative statement of belief?

12. ReformedBaptist

And notice how very few are actually discussing the weighty issue: Justification.

Why?

In my thread on this you will see that it quickly turned from actually discussing justification to authority.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, a rank and file Catholic is better suited to explaining doctrine of the Catholic Church than a rank and file Baptist.

14. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By Grace alone, by Christ alone. Do I get something?

15. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

If you keep studying you find it is God that does the expiating. It is by the hand of God that a person enters into the state known as purgatory.

First let’s make something really clear. Anyone who is saved, is saved because of Christ’s redeeming work on the cross. Period. Without that act of love, it wouldn’t matter what we did; we could not be saved. That is Catholic teaching pure and simple.

Now what about purgatory? Anyone who is in purgatory is already saved. Everyone should be grateful for purgatory because while some of us may try to do God’s will perfectly, we often fail, and unless we are perfect, we cannot be there. Heaven is all about love, love of God, and love of neighbor. That is his will for us. To love one another as Christ loved us. We must be perfected in love to get to heaven. Until we are perfected in love, we cannot be in God’s presence (Mt 5:48; Heb 12:14;Rev. 21:27).

True love is demonstrated by giving of ourselves. So when we do good works out of love, in a mysterious way they are joined to Christ’s work on the cross…the ultimate act of love. If they are simply self-serving works, they have no merit (Gal. 5:4-6).

The Church did not make this up. The Church teaches it, but it is Christ who said it first (Mt 25:31-46).

So God, in his perfect wisdom, arranged it so that if we do acts of love for others (which includes praying) it helps us grow in love while helping the other do so as well.

At this point you might want to read Mark 2:4-5:

16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Baptists wrote the Catechism of the Catholic Church? Baptists are behind Trent?

Have you ever taken a church history class?

17. ReformedBaptist

This is a diversion from the OP.

Let's get to the doctrine of justification shall we?

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Non sequitur.

19. ReformedBaptist

Trust...but verify.

20. ReformedBaptist

Don't be silly. It actually does follow, but calling out this fallacy is stupid. He was obviously being tounge-in-cheek sarcastic, in a funny way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.