1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Christians able to NOT sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Dec 12, 2011.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'd say that not one person in this thread is looking for an excuse to sin, which is the accusation here. Such accusations are slanderous in themselves, and are therefore sin. 2 Timothy 3:3, "gossip" διάβολος (diablos) is a "traducer" or someone who is speaking falsely against another. It is speaking of the human counterpart doing this, not satan in its context.

In other words, doing this is a sin. I guess the one doing it has "chosen" to do so.

- Peace

#21 preacher4truth, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you be saved if you are not ultimately saved?

We need to reed backward more often.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. There is that word be again. Little ain't it?
    that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Bill Clinton isn't the only one that cannot understand what is, is.
    That which is born of the flesh is flesh;

Everyone reading this IS flesh.

Everyone reading this is both corruptible and mortal.

You may be, begotten of God by the Holy Spirit of God but you are not born again, for you are still flesh.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality.

Jesus Christ was both resurrected from Hades and resurrected no more to return to corruption. Compare what is said of him, Jesus and his father David in Acts 2 and Acts 13.

I vote no. 2 because

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 1 Cor 15:46
    Howbeit that [was] not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
    Spoken of a once living soul who after the resurrection is a spirit eternal soul.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means the exact same thing he told the rich young ruler. To enter he kingdom of God you have to be as perfect as God himself.
    It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
    Why do you think the disciples: When his disciples heard [it], they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

You can have no more to do with being born of the spirit than you had to do with being born of the flesh.

But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

Repent of your sins, strive to do this, Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man. Repent of your sins and pray to be a sheep.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FINALLY! We see the word "practice."

12strings posted that you used that word, but as I showed in another thread you had stopped using it.

Because you used the word "practice" then you certainly must also admit that a believer can, will and even to some degree commit sin and maybe even repeat the same sin. We all acknowledge that the believer will be driven to repent and seek Christ's forgiveness and cleansing.

Therefore, the question remains.

To what extent do you mean "practice" to be applied to a person?

I suppose the choices might run from committing a single offense before God repeatedly to committing multiple offenses over the lifetime.

As a guide to your answer, I would direct you to two examples of the Apostles sinning.

First Paul:

Paul states in 2 Corinthians, "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

Paul clearly shows that the "messenger of Satan" was given to keep him from self glory. Because it was a "messenger of Satan" that removes the possibility that it was disfigurement or marred eyesight as I have heard some preach.

The "messenger of Satan" is a most likely some temptation of the flesh or psyche, and, because it is reoccurring, this moves the "thorn in the flesh" to the level of an addiction rather than affliction of body and/or mind.

Second Peter:

In Galatians 2 Paul rebukes Peter before the whole assembly.
    "But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.

But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

Having demonstrated that the Apostle's sinned both in repetition (Paul) and by self aware determination (Peter) I wait for your "proof" that either these men were not believers.

Lest you make an attempt, do not suppose Paul's problem was temptation level only. Paul knew the difference of finding the way of escape in a time of temptation, and the problem he sought the Lord three times about.

#27 agedman, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

10. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Apostles paul and John commited sin AFTER coming to salvation in Christ...

Are you claiming that you and I can attain something they could not?

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure what sin you are pointing to in Paul. As for Peter it is not that he could not, but that he did not. However even in what we know of we do not see any sort of daily pattern of sinning even in brother Peter.
    So no one has to sin. All sin is a choice.

13. JesusFan

other than jesus, can you quote ANYONE else who was able to "not will" to ever sin?

14. JesusFan

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will agree with free about one thing. All sin is a choice.

And as long as we exist as flesh and bleed when cut we will choose to sin, daily.

There will not be anything in the kingdom of God that is imperfect nor subject to corruption. Salvation requires perfection.

Jesus the Christ, the only begotten son of God (Do we want to go there again?)
    was resurrected from the dead (whatever that means) no more to return to corruption Acts 13:34 Jesus the Christ, And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; Heb 5:9 (This was said of him because he was raised from the dead.)

Salvation???

It was a man child that was begotten of God.
    It was a sinless man child that died for our sins.
    It was a man child that God the Father resurrected from the dead and said,
    "Thou are my Son this day have I begotten thee."
    He was the son of David and he was/is the Son of God.

Jesus asked them, Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, [The Son] of David. He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Men [and] brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
    Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool. Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Everybody has to be Christ's to be/and be in Abraham's bosom in order to inherit.

NO?

16. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Freeatlast,

You have posted repeatedly that the thief was sinless until death.

Why do you think the thief was sinless until death?

Is this your opinion, or is there a scripture that you are basing the thief being sinless upon?

17. JesusFan

the Bible is silent on the thief, other then the truth that Jesus said that he would joining him in paradise!

18. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JesusFan,

re: "the Bible is silent on the thief, other then the truth that Jesus said that he would joining him in paradise!"

So you’re suggesting that there were more than two thiefs crucified along with the Messiah?

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No it is an opinion. However I see no reason to believe other wise unless one is biased against the truth.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member