1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Democrats Less Patriotic than Republicans

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Hmm... I happen to live out here and spend a good amount of time in San Francisco or dealing with people from the Bay Area, so good thing you aren't questioning my experience. Even when I "hung" out with the Liberal crowd, the motivating factor for *everything* was a hatred of something. A hatred for our parent's values, a hatred for mainstream society not "accepting" us, a hatred for the "sheep" not seeing what our professors were "enlightening" us about (umm... indoctrinating). It all seemed to be based on this desire for eliteness and rebellion, or to be more enlightened or educated than those "simple" people. So, maybe these talk-show people are actually basing their stereotypes on something valid and the people you are encountering are detecting your liberalism and being gracious hosts. Try an experiment sometime and wear a shirt with a US flag on it (a definite Conservative "outing" in CA.)

Personally, I'm MUCH happier now that I'm a "simple" person. Always trying to be intellectually superior to everyone really got tiring, and now I can respect (and love) a farmer, a department store worker, or a common laborer (even if they aren't Union.) Not to mention, my "simple" Christian Conservative friends are soooo much nicer than any of my Liberal acquaintances (sorry, don't know any Christian Liberals out here... every Liberal I know is either a Unitarian, or un-churched.)

Luckily I woke up in time to say "I only voted for Clinton the first time."

Funny thing is (and back on topic) is when we went to view fireworks up above the lake, I didn't see any Subarus, or no "No W" or Kerry stickers up there (yep, Kerry stickers are still prominently displayed on Suburas all over California like a 60's hippie still wearing a Che shirt.) All I saw were families in pickup trucks, and we ended up meeting a preacher from the local Baptist Church. Patriotism is VERY unbecoming in California for good Liberals.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea every time a conservative says something they only could have possibly gotten it from someone else.

The similarity in statements couldnt possibly be because we hold to the same values. I suppose BIR if you can suggest that statements are only made because we heard it from somewhere else then somehow it has less validity?

Is that the defense you really wnat to make. It certainly doesn't address the points made just spins the conversation into a new direction. Certainly a good tactic but no substance.

3. mima

mima New Member

From your study of the Bible would you say that the Lord Jesus Christ was a conservative or a liberal? Perhaps you can use this question has a miror.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OrovilleTim
    Funny... I'm the exact reverse (enlightened Liberal turned Conservative,) and I find that all the Liberals I encounter are usually the most unhappy people I meet.

http://pewresearch.org/social/pack.php?PackID=1

EXCERPT

...we found some fascinating correlations.

Several of them stand out: Married people are happier than unmarrieds. People who worship frequently are happier than those who don't. Republicans are happier than Democrats. Rich people are happier than poor people. Whites and Hispanics are happier than blacks. Sunbelt residents are happier than those who live in the rest of the country.

SNIP

Political Party Affiliation

Some 45% of all Republicans report being very happy, compared with just 30% of Democrats and 29% of independents. This finding has also been around a long time; Republicans have been happier than Democrats every year since the General Social Survey began taking its measurements in 1972. Pew surveys since 1991 also show a partisan gap on happiness; the current 16 percentage point gap is among the largest in Pew surveys, rivaled only by a 17 point gap in February 2003.

SNIP

Might ideology be the key? It's true that conservatives, who are more likely to be Republican, are happier than liberals, who are more likely to be Democrats. But even controlling for this ideological factor, a significant partisan gap remains. Conservative Republicans are happier than conservative Democrats, and moderate/liberal Republicans are happier than liberal Democrats. Hmmm, what other factors might be at play? Well, there's always...

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Like I said, my experience differs from yours.

That is quite an interesting point. One point worth noting is that I didn't always identify myself as a like-minded leftie to these people in question.
    I did smile at your experiment though, and I really needed that. On the same note, try coming to Virginia and driving with a bumper sticker perceived as anti-Bush. You will get the same result.

First of all, I am delighted to hear that you are happy. In the grand scheme of all things secular (politics included), it is nice to know that a fellow Believer has found happiness.
    As for your observation that "every Liberal [you] know is either a Uniterian or un-churched," I have a very different experience. I have met Liberals from all walks of life.

Point taken - just as I woke up in time to say that I voted for Bush the first time, even though I voted for Reagan, Bush, and Dole in the previous elections.

Patriotism is found on both sides of the political aisle here in the Commonwealth. As a matter of fact, I would say the same for Florida (where I am currently sitting as I type this).

Best Wishes,
    BiR

6. Baptist in Richmond

Well, this wasn't really directed at you, Revmitchell, but I am flattered that you took time to add your opinion to the discussion. Please show me where I utilized the phrase "every time."

Similarity? You're kidding, right? As I clearly stated in my post, several times the comments have been VERBATIM to what I hear from Rush Limbaugh, or Sean Hannity every day. I find it absolutely hilarious that the people who offer these comments VERBATIM will usually vehemently deny that they listen to Rush or Sean.

Secondly, your comment that I am suggesting that "the statements are only made because we heard it from somewhere else" is intellectually dishonest, as I have never made this statement. Feel free to find where I claimed that they were "only made" because they were heard elsewhere. Remember: this is an anonymous electronic forum - don't make the mistake of simply deducing something that is not or has not been clearly stated.

As you have challenged me here, perhaps you can show me where I ever made the claim you allege. Once you can produce a date and time where I made such a charge, I will defend it. Hey: you made the accusation. It is up to you to either prove what you allege or admit that I never wrote what you claim.

Come on Revmitchell: you're better than this.......

Regards, and know that I am still praying for you and your church daily,
    BiR

#66 Baptist in Richmond, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
  7. Baptist in Richmond

Again, carpro - I am curious: are you taking credit for this particular quote? Or are you quoting someone?

8. hill

hill New Member

As a national party, decidedly so. A patriot would not work hard to destroy our nation simply because they hate the current president. Nor would a patriot go along with their parties waywardness.

9. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

A lot of chicken hawk Republicans

Prominent Republicans
    • Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert did not serve.
    • Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey did not serve.
    • Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay - did not serve (1).
    • House Majority Whip Roy Blunt - did not serve
    • Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist - did not serve.
    • Majority Whip Mitch McConnell, R-KY - did not serve (1)
    • Rick Santorum, R-PA, - did not serve. (1)
    • George Felix Allen, Republican Senator from Virginia - did not serve. (1)
    • Former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott - did not serve.
    • GW Bush - decided that a six-year Nat'l Guard commitment really means four years. Still says that he's "been to war." Huh?
    • VP Cheney - several deferments (1, 2), the last by marriage (in his own words, "had other priorities than military service") (1)
    • Former Att'y Gen. John Ashcroft - did not serve (1, 2);
    • Jeb Bush, Florida Governor - did not serve. (1)
    • Karl Rove - avoided the draft, did not serve (1), too busy being a Republican.
    • Former Speaker Newt Gingrich - avoided the draft, did not serve (1, 2)
    • Phil Gramm - avoided the draft, did not serve, four (?) student deferments
    Senator Richard Shelby, did not serve (1)
    Senator Jon Kyl, R-AZ - did not serve (1, 2)
    Senator John Cornyn, R-TX - did not serve. (1)
    Senator Tim Hutchison, R-AR - did not serve (1, 2)
    Rep. Christopher Cox, R-CA, did not serve. (1)
    Rep. John T. Doolittle, R-CA, - did not serve.
    Representative Saxby Chambliss, Georgia - did not serve Former Representative JC Watts - did not serve (1, 2)
    Jack Kemp, did not serve (1, 2)
    Eliot Abrams, did not serve (1, 2) (Paul Wolfowitz, did not serve (1, 2)
    Former Representative Vin Weber, did not serve (1, 2)
    Richard Perle, did not serve (1, 2)
    Douglas Feith, Undersecretary of Defense for Policy - did not serve. (1)
    Rudy Giuliani, did not serve (1, 2)
    George Pataki, did not serve (1, 2)
    Spencer Abraham, did not serve
    John Engler, did not serve (1, 2)

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-CA, did not serve (1)
    Rep. Darrell Issa, R-CA/49th, there were some problems with his service.
    Rep. John M. McHugh, R-NY - avoided the draft, did not serve (1)
    Rep. Todd Platts, R-PA - did not serve (1)
    • George Will, did not serve
    • Chris Matthews, Mediawhore, did not serve.
    • Bill O'Reilly, did not serve
    • Paul Gigot, did not serve.
    • Bill Bennett, Did not serve
    • Pat Buchanan, did not serve
    • Rush Limbaugh, did not serve (4-F with a 'pilonidal cyst' [see "The Rush Limbaugh Story" by Paul D. Colford, St. Martin's Press, 1993, Chapter 2: Beating the Draft.])
    • Michael Savage - did not serve, John Wayne, did not serve
    • Pat Robertson - claimed during 1986 campaign to be a "combat veteran." In reality, was a "Liquor Officer."
    • Bill Kristol, did not serve
    • Sean Hannity, did not serve.
    • Kenneth Starr, did not serve
    • Antonin Scalia, did not serve
    • Clarence Thomas, did not serve
    • Ralph Reed, did not serve
    • Michael Medved, did not serve
    • Charlie Daniels, did not serve
    • Ted Nugent, did not serve
    • Country Singer Toby Keith, did not serve. (1)
    • Radio Host Phil Hendrie, did not serve.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that is precisely what liberals do.

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Bald assertions! Evidence for the Democratic Party trying to destroy the nation. Most don't hate the President, they dislike his policies. As for blindly following the party line, the current crop of GOP are a guilty as anyone on that.

The nation was founded on dissent. Dissent is patriotic. Blindly following a politician of any party is ignorant and counterproductive to a democratic republic.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suggest that there is a huge crossover. Only hate could inspire the name calling and comments directed at the president by the opposition.

13. Magnetic Poles

You are entitled to your opinion, but even I, who can't stand the man, do not hate him. I hate what he is doing to my country and our constitutional liberties, but I care about him as a person. He just doesn't belong in the White House. It seems vitriol is rampant by the opposition, regardless of who is in power. People still rag on President Clinton, and he has been out of office for almost 6 years. It goes both ways, and has no bearing on love of country.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comments about Clinton did not even come close to the "vitriol" directed against Bush.

Clinton was considered a liar, which was proven to be correct and a moral degenerate which we all know is completely correct as well.

Bush is a "nazi", routinely called Hitler, worse than Al Quaeda, a traitor, etc. According to the political opposition.

They seeth with hate.

15. Magnetic Poles

Really now? Selective memory is a sad thing to see. You are blinded by your partisanship.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok.

Let's have some quotes.

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Like duh? Selective service is a BAD thing to run from . . .

Now, if we were to use partisanship we might call him a felon and not just the only president to dodge the draft . . .

Funny that they gave George a difficult time for SERVING (maybe badly). . .

Now the question is who are THEY that forget Bill dodging & George serving?

Just who are they? I want to know.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

While we're waiting, I'll give you some old ones. There's amuch newer supply waiting.

Ted Kennedy says the Iraq War "was made up in Texas" for political gain.

House minority leader Nancy Pelosi calls the President "an incompetent leader" with " no judgment" who "has on his shoulders the deaths of many more troops."

Introducing Kerry, Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley says the Bush administration worries him more than Al Qaeda does.

Howard Dean advanced the theory that President Bush had advance knowledge of the 911 attacks.

Former Vice President Al Gore screams that President Bush "betrayed this country".

Gore also calls the military's prison system "Bush's gulag".

Kerry's national security advisor Rand Beers says the President under funds homeland security because the most targeted areas are in democratic states.

19. Magnetic Poles

Carpro, I am not going to go on a tit-for-tat quote search with you. Unless you were asleep during the late 1990s, you know full well all the personal attacks on Pres. Clinton. The worst of all was the shameful video sold by Jerry Falwell accusing the President of being involved in the deaths of a whole litany of people, including Ron Brown, Vince Foster, and others. This became the widely circulated "Clinton Hit List", which has been thoroughly debunked.

If you are so polarized and partisan as to believe that the GOP did not do character assasination on the last Democratic president, you are beyond holding a rational discussion with.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you're saying is you have absolutely no evidence to present.

You haven't named a single Republican Party politician that said anything even close to the hateful rhetoric that today's democrats direct at Bush.

I suggest that , in the absence of evidence to the contrary, you are the one that is blinded by your ideology, are polarized and partisan and beyond holding a rational discussion. You just proved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.