1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are God's Commandments impossible to Keep?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe we could keep the commandments in actual deed like the Pharisees claimed they did. Even Paul said he kept the commandments, after all he was a Pharisee of Pharisees. But according to Jesus, even our thoughts and desires come under the penalty of the law. Who can control perfectly every thought?
    If it were possible, surely one man would have succeeded, and he would be the only person who did not need the sacrificed blood of Christ.
    If we were able to be holy as God is holy, we would not need a Savior and Christ simply gave His life for nothing.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Sag38

Sure we will.

Because we will have discoverd that the law kills, while the Spirit gives life. We will them seek to live under the administration of the Holy Spirit, who will empower us in ways that the law NEVER could.

From the scriptures....

And then when we fail miserably, as any honest child of God will acknowlege that he/she has done, they will turn from what does not work...the Law...and turn TO what DOES work...the indwelling Holy Spirit.

I agree, but the way to do it is NOT to just grit yout teeth and try harder to keep those laws, but rather by abandoning the "Oldness" of the Letter, and turning to the "Newness" of the Spirit. Because the letter brings death, while the Spirit brings life.

What? Why would we not acknowlege or sins..(confess) to God under grace?
    We will be much more likely to do that under grace because the scriptures tell us that there is now no condemation for those who are IN Christ Jesus.

But we do. All of us. We willfully choose to sin. Maybe not murder or rape, but, hating someone is the same as murder, and that "lustfull look" is the same as adultery.

Sure there is. The Holy Spirit is inclining you to live the "right way" and you experience great blessing by doing do.

Without robbing a bank, or killing someone, or blaspheming God or strangling a dog to death for the fun of it? Sure, its not hard to go a day not duing those kind of sins.

But again....

*That lustfull look.

*Experiencing some envy.

*wishing some iII will towards someone who hurt you deeply.

*secretly wanting revenge.

Its a different story with those, isnt it?

You would think so, but isint it amazing what happens sometimes?

We all want to, brother! But then *LIFE* happens and we find ourselves saying..."I did it again! I'm sorry Father, but I blew it again. And lo and behold, we GROW as a result of our blowing it yet again.

No problem with that. :wavey:

#42 Alive in Christ, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Since Jesus kept the WHOLE LAW for our benefit, His rightousness now credited by God to our behalf..

WHY would a Christian today even try to perfectly keep the law, as we are NOT under law, but Grace today?

IF we abide in jesus, and walk in the Spirit, are we fulfilling the law of Christ himself any ways?

That we will obey God and "keep" Commandments due to our new natures in Christ anyways?

#43 JesusFan, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Amy actually what the Lord said is that if a man looks on a woman to lust for her he is guilty of adultery. The passage is a purpose clause. In other words the person in question is literally seeking out women to look at to satisfy his lust. This is not a passing woman who causes a passing thought. This seeking to look can be controlled. We do not have to sin. We sin because we choose to. Even if someone did keep the law it would not save them as the law could only condemn, not save, as salvation is only through faith. The proof that keeping the law perfectly does not save is all the people before the law. There was no law to break and they still perished.
    The need to obey the commands is not to be saved, but to glorify the One who does save.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

freeatlast, why don't you live a perfect sinless life? Why do you continue to choose to sin?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This is exactly why this topic is so critical for the church today. Your statement is what lies in the minds and hearts of most who claim to be Christians today. We have been deceived. The reason is because the Pastors and teachers have bought the lie of satan that we cannot keep the commandments and they have not done their job in teaching truth while holding the saints accountable to the word of God. We have set our standards on the same level as the world and rationalized the holy life away that we have been called to.
    You asked why we should keep the commandments. Here is why we should keep the commandments.
    John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

7. JesusFan

didnt the Apostle Paul warn us though against starting in the Holy Spirit in our Christian walk, and than try to perfect it by keeping the law?

Galatians pretty much tells us the way to live for God is through the power of the HS, abiding in Christ, not by works of law!

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thast was about getting saved not keeping the commandments after we are saved. Let me ask you, are you looking for an excuse for not keeping the commandments and for your sin?

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would still like to know how I can keep the following two commandments at the same time:

1. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
    2. Turn the other cheek.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I told you in another thread. Did you overlook it?

11. JesusFan

[
    ]

why do you try to keep the law though?
    To make sure that you actually are saved, to keep your salvation?

Do you keep the OT law in full, or follow the "law of Christ?"

you do know that we are under a NEW Covenant t with God?

And my sins are fully covered by the blood of Christ, by His grace towards me, and the HS living in me will enable me to live in Christ, and whenI chose to sin and dosobey god, I need to confess to be restored and keep moving on!

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes, I must have overlooked it. Please tell me again. Thanks.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FAL, I for one can personally say that the leading of the Holy Spirit has never led me into sin but help me to over come where I was helpless in my flesh.

For that reason, not committing sin is an normal outcome of walking in the Spirit.

Romans 8
    2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
    3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Galatians 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

HankD

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes Hank that is what happens in a believers life. We actually have to willfully reject the leading of the Spirit to sin. It is always a choice as we never have to sin.

16. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If it is possible to live a perfect sinless life after salvation, why freeatlast do you continue to sin?

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is possible, I am certainly not one of those individuals.

Those were (I read) also the words of Charles Wesley who believed in "sinless perfection" but honestly admitted that he had not yet achieved it.

I am very happy that we have 1 John 1:9.

Christ has said:

Matthew 21
    21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
    22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.​

How much more then is God willing to forgive His children?​

If there were a button I could push to never sin again I would gladly use it.​

Though, when I look back and see how far He has brought me I am happy.​

Why do I personally still sin? Because I have fallen short of the glory of God.

HankD​

#57 HankD, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  18. JesusFan

Think ONLY way one can hold to 'sinless perfection" attainable by the saint in this life is by denying that we any longer have the sin nature within us, that we just have the 'new nature" of Christ in us!

In THAT case, could be "just" new nature abiding within, that cannot sin!

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are suggesting the Gnostic view?

20. JesusFan

No, was saying that ONLY view one could hold to that would allow them to support sinless perfection would be that view I posted above!