1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are God's Commandments impossible to Keep?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Sep 10, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro. FAL,

The point I am trying to make, is that even if we could keep the Law(commandments), it would be fruitless. The Law was a curse, and Jesus became(took our curse upon Himself) our curse when He died on the cross;"cursed is the one who hangeth on the tree".

Jesus freed us from the curse of the Law by atoning for our sins via His blood. The Law at no time, gave eternal life, but the Grace of God(Jesus hanging on the cross) did.

I was not adding to the Word when I showed you that the blood of bulls and goats could not forgive sins(blot them out) forever. Each and every year the High Priest would offer up a sin sacrifice, but Jesus did this one time forever.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No it is not fruitless. It is what we are commanded to do. You are correct that obedience to the law does not save the lost but it is expected for the saved.
    If ye love me, keep my commandments.

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Do you believe those passages?

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Do you believe these passages?

(Rom 7:5) For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

(Rom 7:6) But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Certainly. It is saying that the law brought death and the spirit brings life, but it is not saying that the commands are not to be or cannot be kept after we are saved.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't believe we can attain perfection, but we are certainly commanded to depart from evil.

Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

As long as we are in this mortal body there is going to be a struggle. We are commanded not to obey the lusts of the body, but yield ourselves to God.

It is very easy to sin, we are all accustomed to obeying our fleshly lusts. But as Christians we have the Holy Spirit and God's laws written in our hearts and minds. It is a matter of submission to God.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree. We will never be perfect because we have already sinned. :thumbsup:

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under Grace, the Ten Commandments are.....

.....More like a measuring stick, then a set of laws to keep (now that Jesus has given His life for our sins). The Ten Commandments are there to remind us that no one (even FAL) can keep each of them 100% of the time, 24/7!

Each Commandment reminds us that we need something more than a list and directions on how to make personal blood sacrifice to atone for our sins.

Jesus reduced (unheard of, "how dare He?") the Ten Commandments to two things: Love God with all your heart, and love your neighbor (which is the overall objective of the Ten Commandments).

This change, or reduction from Ten to Two, came directly from His Son, and meant that a new age, the age of Grace, was ushered in with His presence in human form, eventual death and miraculous resurrection.

The day and age of holding one's life up to the Ten Commandments is gone. The day of salvation and blood atonement through the Son of God is upon us, and it is through Him that each of us is truly accountable.

My one question to FAL is simply this: Can you honestly tell us that you are not guilty of breaking these Commandments throughout each day of your life?

It is quite obvious that you have broken the Commandment to "not judge" numerous times, in this OP alone. So, what say you? Are you going to tell us that you would rather live under the age of the Commandments, or the age of Grace?

As for me and my house, I'd much prefer being under His Grace, because it leaves me accountable to the Father, not you, and that was the purpose of the Commandments in the first place.

As you know, in the simple form: Man sinned. Man needed to atone for the sin. God gave them a way back through blood sacrifices. This failed miserably. So they asked for specific directions, or laws to follow and obey! God gave them the Commandments (which man turned into thousands of little laws to simplify the major ten and help them obey). Along with blood sacrifices, the commandments proofed to much and again; man fell on his face in failure to get back into God's good graces.

So man asked for a king to come and judge and rule over them, and help them keep the Commandments and make the sacrifices on their behalf and for them. The kings proved to be corrupt and more difficult to live under than the personal sacrifices and the Ten Commandments.

Next, God sent them Prophets, and these guys were denounced and even killed, and not held up in the esteem an emissary of God should be held in!

Man just couldn't see beyond the tip of their nose when it came to their desire to get back to God!

So Jesus arrives, the honest-to-goodness King of Kings, and he had to die in order to save man. This brought us under a period of Grace, like it or not, and even Jesus summed up the ten commandments, making them into two. This should have been much easier to keep, but man still fails to follow God in rejecting their one last hope to gain eternal life and forgiveness of sin!

In a nut shell, give or take a few things, that is the history of a man's quest to get back into God's good graces. Even with a living Savior, they couldn't seem to grasp the message, or wrap their heart around the truth that would result in their spiritual redemption and freedom from sin and judgment. How sad and pathetic is it that man continues to seek favor with God, but they never recognize that favor when it is given.

I know this simple explanation may not be exact, and open for interpretation. I also know that some of you will probably vehemently disagree with me! This is inevitable, so have at it. :thumbsup: I was simply trying to reduce thousands of years of effort to gain God's forgiveness and favor into a few paragraphs. I think I did fairly well. However, please feel free to add anything you believe I left out, or reported wrong. :laugh:

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

#67 righteousdude2, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

NO they all can be kept all the time. God did not give commands that cannot be kept. We choose not to keep them. All sin is willful rebellion.

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Why do you continue choosing to live a sinful life freeatlast?

10. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

A closing word for the night in the words of our savior:

(Joh 13:34) A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    (Joh 13:35) By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

By the way righteousdude2 Amen

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, but it would be almost impossible to 100% stop sinning while in this mortal body with it's lusts.

Nevertheless, one cannot read the Bible and not see that God desires we turn from sin.

We are not under the law, we are free, but we are not to use this as a cloke or license to do evil.

1 Pet 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

That word maliciousness is defined as depravity. We are not under the law, but we are not to use our liberty under grace to practice sin and depravity.

To our shame, this is what we often do. And one reason men do not believe is because of our hypocrisy. We are often no better than the world, and many times worse.

And one reason for this is that many believe they can sin with impunity. This is not what the scriptures teach, as the verses I posted show.

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Don't Disagree....

....God never tests, or tries us beyond what we are capable of, thus, the Ten Commandments can and should be kept, but, because of a sin nature, no one can keep these Commandments 100% of the time, 24/7/365!

The Commandments are one more (sober) reminder that man and woman, need a Savior, not laws, to gain forgiveness and eternal life! Hello? :wavey:

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the....

....Amen! I did the best I could without going on for an hour :laugh:

14. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Found an interesting quote on someone's web site (hint it's someone we hear from an awful lot and they have a web site listed in their signature).

Found it quite interesting that this certain someone says "you can be oblivious to your own sin". Interesting considering we've been told repeatedly that sin is a willful choice.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

That quote is from MacArthur.

Totally unrelated, but what part of town do you live Matt? I grew up out at the beach, went to Fletcher HS. I also used to live on Southside Blvd. near Baymeadows. My Dad lived in Orange Park till he passed away a few years ago.

16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Now, Starting in Left Field...

....Matt Wade. Great catch, brother! :thumbsup:

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Jesus also stated this, written by three men:

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Luke 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

Now, Jesus went a little further and gave them(and us) the condensed version of the ten commandments(written by righteousdude2 in an earlier post).

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

These are the commandments that God places in the hearts of the "little ones" which believe in Him. Not the ten commandments which were a curse to us, but these two commandments of love. A man that is born of God is born of love, because God IS love. And you will keep these commandments if you love Him(born again).

i am I AM's!!

Willis

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Amen!!!:thumbsup: Jesus delivered us from the curse of the Law by being our curse for us. He blotted out the handwriting of ordaininces(sp?) that was against us(the Law).

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This post is like sweet music to my eyes(not ears, because I didn't hear nothin')....my education at work right there!! Very well stated, Brother!! :thumbs:

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Amen!!!:thumbs::thumbs: