1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are IFB churches unbiblical?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by seekingthetruth, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Prove that the majority of them believe that other versions are perfectly legit.

That would be interesting.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'm not on the hook to prove it. You are the one that made the original claim. You are the one that has made the accusations. You are the one that needs to prove it, or recant your accusations.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's a "significant percentage"?

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And while we're at it, define your criteria. Are we talking the ones that are guilty of saying KJ is the only way, or are we talking those that also say they prefer the KJ?

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke, it really gets old coming in here and seeing you post ugly stuff about IFB. I know MANY MANY wonderful soul winners, people who serve the Lord with gladness and study their Bibles daily, and they are loving and warm Christian examples. I am not just talking about my IFB church, I am talking about many IFB churches I have visited and become familiar with.

Your way of flaming good Christians is why I get defensive.....and I have to say, if you preach the way you bloviate in here, it is probably a very discouraging and confusing message.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't think either claim can be proven unequivocally- yours or mine.

I base mine on experience. I wager that most people on bb who e been exposed to kjvo would say that their experience is that the kjvo folks theyve encountered would NOT say that most other versions are legit.

I also wager that they would say that the king James is completely without error and as infallible and reliable as the original manuscripts.

Do you doubt it?

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I Think this is more emotional banter that does not have anything to do with what I am ACTUALLY saying.

8. matt wade

That's not the claim you made and I asked for proof of. The claim you made was that a "significant percentage" of KJVO believe that you can't be saved unless a KJV Bible is used.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Significant percentage and majority are two different things.

Now, do you deny that most kjvo would not consider most other versions to be legit and that they think the kjv is as infallible and reliable as the originals?

10. matt wade

Most KJVO consider the KJV to be the inspired translation for English speaking people. That's pretty much the core KJVO belief. I've never denied that.

What I've denied is that there is a significant percentage of those people that believe that a person is unable to be saved with anything other than a KJVO. I agree that it is heretical to believe that salvation depends on a particular Bible version. I have never denied that. I've simply denied that the belief is widespread, or even held by more than a handful of people on the fringe.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Kjvp is a whole other animal from kjvo. We're talking about kjvo.

12. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

52 posts in and Rick/Luke still hasn't listed the heretical doctrines of IFB, except the choice of Bible translation.

Come on Rick, what doctrines are you talking about?

John

13. seekingthetruth

Don, if he were to say that the people that teach you can only be saved by the KJV were heretical, I would agree with him.

But he has assigned this to a "significate" number of IFB, which I just do not believe. I have been IFB for over 10 years and I have never heard of this except for on this board.

John

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes I have. From the very first page.

I thought you were going to bed.

15. seekingthetruth

You listed KJVO????

What else ya got?????

John

I got up to take my medicine, I am going back to bed now.

Good night again

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So--are you trying to say that the number of kjo is greater than the number of kjp?

Come on, Luke; you keep insisting on using language like "large percentage" and "majority"; but then you fall back to stuff like "in my experience." YOU'RE the one that insists if we're going to talk about the deeper things of God, then we better know what we're talking about; yet, on this subject, all you can offer is hazy generalities and your personal experience with a couple of churches--out of how many? And a handful of pastors--out of how many?

You're right that kjo, as you've defined it, borders on heretical; but if you can't start proving that the "majority" of IFB churches are guilty of such teaching, then you need to start being more careful in your wording, and start using that word "some" a lot more.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have pointed this out before. As a missionary sent out by and supported by IFB churches I have a pretty broad experience in IFB churches. I have spoken in well over 100 of them myself. I have not done a poll or formalised a survey, but my anecdotal evidence points out that the majority of IFB churches are balanced and Bible based.

Yes, I have been is a few wacky ones. Yes, a few have dropped me because I am not 'fundamental' enough for them. But these are not a majority or a significant percentage.

But, anecdotal evidence proves nothing. That is just my experience.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, what else do you have?

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, Don. I have said nothing to even indicate such. KJVP has not even been in view at any point in this conversation.

What I have clearly said is that a significant percentage of people who ARE KJVO believe people can only be saved by the KJV.

I have further stated that those people who are KJVO, the vast majority of them, believe that the KJV in as infallible and reliable as the originals.

I have also stated that, OF THE KJVO folks, very few of them would say that many other English versions are good and legit.

The rest of your post I did not quote and respond to because it was just a rant based on your lack of understanding of the conversation.

Hopefully, the above will clarify.

Then you can amend your remarks so that we can have a helpful exchange.

I will say, however, that my passion for KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT before you spout it off relates to something a lot greater in nature than the reputation of IFB.

It is about the reputation of God and it is about the Gospel.

A failure to be perfectly correct in representing the IFB is no where near the crime that haphazardly misrepresenting Almighty God is.

Let's be clear that my condemnation of getting on bb or in the pulpit and spewing off mess the Christian Church NEVER believed is a BIG DEAL.

I do not care any where near as much if someone spouts off something that poorly represents a denomination or movement. I don't think it is right and good for them to do so, but lets not pretend for a MOMENT that they are the same.

I condemn with ALL MY HEART the propagation of ideas and philosophies and theologies that have to do with God and the Gospel that come from people who don't know what they are talking about.

That is what I have been saying. Don't try to pretend that that can be applied to slightly misrepresenting a movement. The former is as high above the latter as the heavens are above the earth.

But let me hasten to say that I think MOST OF US who have encountered KJVO folks (not KJVP) will say that it seems I am representing them fairly and accurately.

And even on the baptistboard the percentage of IFB folks who are KJVO is significant (perhaps not a majority but not a fringe either).

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

To answer the OP simply- SOME IFB churches are unbiblical, just as SOME SBC, Bible, Presby, etc. and ad infinitum, may be.

Blanket statements are often false on their faces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.