1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Mormons Biblical Christians?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Mar 25, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    deleted ,,,,,,

2. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

It is my understanding that Purgatory isn't a second chance at Heaven - those in Purgatory are Christians who have some sin(s) on their souls that need to be cleansed. They're going to heaven but not before those sins are purged. Those sent to hell have no escape. Just for the record...

WM

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Kind of. Purgatory is the final sanctification before heaven. It is not a place of second chance. No one goes to purgatory to end up in hell. The only people in purgatory are those destined for heaven. The idea is like this. Nothing corrupt can be in God's presence. There are those things that you would not necissarily consider sin but aren't subject to God for instance I like watching too much TV or being unable to discipline my eating habits and there for it isn't submitted to God (thus are known as venial sins but many of these protestants wouldn't consider sin) but that kind of thinking needs to be purged from myself entirely. Thus when I die I come face to face with the presence of God's which is a burning presence and my attachment to those things are burned away as in a refiners fire.

#63 Thinkingstuff, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen David. Very good words.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I must apologise if you thought I was giving a definition of purgatory. I don't believe in purgatory, but I know that people who believe in such a place would define it much as you do. No, I was answering ChristianLady1978, who had written (my emphasis):
    I believe in Purgatory/Spirit Prison where the unsaved will go after death and have the opportunity to hear the gospel one final time (I Peter 3:18-19).

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is clear Christianlady1978 does not understand the theology behind purgatory. There is no second chance. If you do not come to Jesus in this life there are no other chances.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't offer RCC myth. If you can't find Purgatory in the Bible; it isn't true.
    And we know it isn't in the Bible.

"For it is appointed unto man once to die and after that the judgment." (Heb.9:27)

#67 DHK, Apr 3, 2012
  8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You aren't clear. What myth do you refer too? Are you suggesting that there is no second chances after this life is a myth? Or Are you suggesting that there is no purgation after this life? Or are you suggesting God isn't a consuming fire?
    Or are you suggesting that what we do isn't tested by fire after death?
    Maybe you believe that our faith isn't proven at the coming of Jesus Christ
    Mabye you don't believe people are saved - Snatched out of the fire?
    Maybe you don't believe in a purgation
    So which is it that you consider myth? Please be clear.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Purgatory and all that it entails is a complete myth. There is nothing in Scripture to support it.
    Absolutely, there is no second chance after life. Heb.9:27 proves this.
    Such a belief as that would suggest that the blood of Christ which cleanses us from all sin is not sufficient--that Christ failed on the Cross. It is pure heresy.
    Indeed He is a consuming fire. The Bible describes him that way. It is a picture of a God that metes out judgment. It is a figurative description.
    The Bible describes in 1Cor.11-15 the Judgment Seat of Christ, which happens in a very short time span, within the span of the Tribulation Period (seven years). During that time a believers works will be judged, not the believer himself. There is no such concept of a believer going through fire. The works themselves go through fire. Some will be burned up, and some will be purified. Those that will be purified are rewards. Those that are burned up are loss of reward. All are believers and no one suffers loss of salvation. No believer is tormented by flames (or purged).
    It isn't. He comes a thief in the night, suddenly, when no one expects it.
    They are. "Snatched out of the fire" is a figurative expression meaning they won't be going to hell. When a person is saved they are saved for all eternity. They have eternal security (OSAS). There is no fear of hell any longer. They are snatched out of the clutches of hell, therefore. That happens here on this earth.
    No I don't. I believe in salvation. I don't deny the sufficiency of the blood of Christ.
    Every concept related to purgatory is heresy.

10. WestminsterMan

Well.... not everything is IN the bible is it? Further, how do you know that after judgment, those who are sent to heaven will not have a little baggage that needs to be removed before they go there. You don't and neither do I - hence the "notion" of purgatory.

We don't know if our cleansing is done instantaneously or if it takes some process to do it. In the end, it's all the sacrifice of our Lord that makes that possible – the process by which it takes place is up to Him.

WM

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What part of "It is finished" do you not understand.
    His atonement was finished on the cross.
    He paid the penalty in full on the cross. There was no other payment to be made, as in purgatory. If the RCC wants to spit in the face of Jesus and tell him that his death on the cross was not good enough let them do so. The other thief railed on him too. How can those in the RCC be saved with such an attitude.

12. WestminsterMan

His sacrifice was finished - not how or even when the cleansing due to that sacrifice takes place. Try again...

Are you honestly saying that when you die you will have no sins on your soul? If not, then in some way those sins must be removed. Nothing unclean will be allowed in heaven.

No one here is "...spitting in the face of Jesus..." or telling Him that His "...death on the cross was not good enough..." It is only by His life, death, and resurection that the forgiveness of sins can take place in the first place. You really need to take a breath there DHK.

WM

#72 WestminsterMan, Apr 3, 2012
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Are you Catholic or maybe Church of Christ?

14. WestminsterMan

Nope... Baptist. But I can see how they might come to such a conclusion.

WM

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Purgatory implies that the sacrifice of Christ was insufficient. It is an insult to Christ.
    Understand this. Christ paid the penalty of our sin in full.

There are dozens of verses that teach the same as below, but for now I will just quote this one:

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Purgatory teaches this is a lie.
    If the blood of Christ cleanses us or purges us from all sin, there is no need to believe in a myth that something else does.
    Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
    --All my sins are forgiven right now: past, present and future, as far as salvation is concerned. I have no sins to worry about. When God looks down upon me he sees me clothed in the righteousness of Jesus Christ. He does not see sin.
    When I sin in this life, I confess it to Christ, as IJohn 1:9 teaches. I have no sin to worry about. I can never lose my salvation. I am God's child born into his family.
    All who believe that heretical doctrine do just that. It takes away from the sufficiency of Christ. It is blasphemous.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Come now, tell the truth. I believe you are Anglican, are you not?

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh, so you just throw away the scriptures I quoted. Thats ok if you have a smorgishboard theology.

Hey at least we agree on this point!

Not at all. That like saying since I sin now after I "accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior" - to coin your salvation perspective that Jesus Christ failed on the Cross because we aren't cleansed from all sin and the commission of sin. Of course you wouldn't say that therefore it doesn't apply to purgation either since its really about sanctification.

Are you suggesting God wasn't in the burning bush, or that God wasn't the pillar of fire leading Israel through the wilderness? That was just figurative language? You believe God isn't really a consuming fire? Hmmmm. Thats odd.

There is nothing in that passage suggesting a "Rapture" eschatology. Certainly Judgement is accomplished and by fire!

Wow I find that odd view of that verse especially when that verse says
    The verse makes it clear that the builder will suffer loss and be saved. "as one escaping through flames". Its clear that this person is saved which according to your soteriology only can happen to believers. Unless you are suggesting some are saved by belief and some are saved by works. If then you believe that then you aren't Sola Fide.

Again just disregard the scriptures I quoted to you.

You obviously don't understand purgation. Purgatory is not hell its sanctification and being in the presence of God who is a consuming fire anything not subjected to him will be burned away Dan 12:10
    Huh. Then Peter Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    But hey, you can believe what you want.

and is it figurative expression when Paul says
    Meaning (from a figurative use based on your perspective since to you all mention of fire means hell) that to be saved you must go THROUGH hell? I think not.

I agree once a person is saved (past tense) they are saved for all eternity. However that isn't once saved always saved theology. OSAS is once someone comes to "accept Jesus as their personal savior they are guaranteed heaven no matter how much rebellion and sin unrepentedly they do through out their lives. Because they pretty much feel bad because they should no better but do it anyway? Maybe I got carried away with the discription. Sorry.

Ok. I got no problem with that. Because in essense you are telling me you are fully sanctified and no longer deal with sin because you have attained perfection. Cool.

I guess every concept related to sanctification is heresy too. It used to be that there was Orthodox teaching but now that everyone is Orthodox in their own mind based on their interpretation of scripture they can call any one who discents from them a heretic. So, It really shouldn't bother anyone to be called a heretic because no matter what you believe someone else believes you are a heretic thus we all are heretics. Funny thought.

18. WestminsterMan

Just when does that cleansing take place?

Again... scripture doesn't say WHEN that cleansing takes place does it. Hmmm...

Forgiving sin isn't the same as removing it. If I hit your car and it's my fault you might forgive me, but I still need to fix your car.
    But what if you sin and then immediately die.... what about THOSE sins? Hmmm...

Well, that's another topic now isn't it? :)

Hogwash! You say this is a "heretical doctrine" and that it's "blasphemous". Yet, you aren't God so why should anyone care about baseless pontifications on your part.

WM

19. WestminsterMan

Nope.

WM

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I find curious is that you come to these conclusions reading scripture and based on scriptural authority being over all. Yet though you assertain certain things that are in scripture (even the SBC is playing with the idea of a purgation) as you read it; you are accused of being catholic or Anglican because you come to a differing conclusion than certain others.