1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are musical styles amoral? Round 2.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, Aug 9, 2014.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have not established that a musical style can be "carnal". I'm afraid your statements are nothing but question begging.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    . . . or the vocal chords, or whether the hearer is himself or another.

But we're not talking about one's organs or machines when we're speaking of music, we're speaking of the communication.

So again, is there a style that could be classified as excessive or riotous?

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And again, you're trying to trap me into a classification, and I refuse to be your pharisee that imposes legalistic do's and don'ts.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a much better response. I'm glad I decided not to respond with mine. :thumbsup:

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can some be called "solemn?"

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about joyful?

7. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Unreal...

[​IMG]

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psa 92:3 KJV - Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound.

Psa 98:6 KJV - With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.

Check . . .

. . . and mate.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are you mating?

Because first, you need to identify what that joyful noise with the trumpets and cornet is.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously it was cool jazz trumpet riffs.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still trying to figure out exactly which type of songs we are speaking of (I know "Christian Rock, Rap, etc", but under the category CCM...this includes a much wider range.). Will you please give me an example of what you mean by songs without rhythm (as melody is good, rhythm is carnal). Can melody exist without rhythm?....or is it just a certain type of rhythm God hates?

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can take away all the percussion all you want but at the end of the day, all western music still has rhythm, otherwise it is simply disorganized noise.

I don't agree with the idea that people are looking for a style of music that God hates. If you read some of the verses, he hates the music because it was being used to worship other gods and whatnot, not because it had a particular instrument.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God didn't like drums, he wouldn't have made people in such a way that they think they are cool. :thumbsup:

Next up: God hates '57 chevy's.

14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's explore the history of music a bit.

Big band and swing stuff, which we fondly listen to and reminisce about the innocent good old days, was developed in speakeasy's.

Irish folk music was largely developed in taverns.

China went so far as to totally ban all classical music including Bach and Beethoven, for being "decadent".

Pope Clement XI went so far as to ban all opera music.

Some piano chords were even banned, do a search on "the devil's interval".

Even bluegrass was invented as dance music, and many baptists say you shouldn't dance. It's evil you know.

Even some of our most beloved Christmas carols were banned due to being evil. "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus" was banned by the Catholic church, but going back even further, "O Holy Night" was banned as well, being declared "unfit for church services".

etc., etc., etc.

So, is there anything that God DOESN'T hate if we use the poor judgment of goody-goodies as yourself as the litmus test?

15. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if God doesn't like adultery, then he wouldn't make other peoples wives look so attractive either right?

I hope you post was a joke, because that logic is awful.

16. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, all music has rhythm, but we are not talking about the plain existence of Rhythm, I am talking about when rhythm is the driving force and emphasis of a song and certain rhythmic techniques.

17. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to ask forgiveness for judging the motives of my brethren, I do not know any of your hearts. So for that I do sincerely apologize.

I do believe with all my heart that CCM and Christian Rock is worldly though, and in my zeal to defend against this, I have judged the hearts of other people, and I am no judge of the thoughts and intents of others.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next topic: country-western and the Gaithers?

19. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gaithers are ecumenical, I am not a fan at all.

20. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'm not much of a Gaither fan myself, but that's just a personal preference of mine---IOW, I wouldn't break off a relationship with another Christian friend simply because he/she happened to like the Gaithers.

Sometimes a person can develop an attitude that unless another person has exactly the same likes and dislikes that he/she does, that no friendly relationships can ever exist between each other. Unfortunately, I've met some people such as this who make such unrealistic demands upon others that they wind up having very few friends at all.

I haven't found any biblical basis for such an attitude as this. Jesus Christ never shunned people merely because they might have differed a little bit on some matter of no real significance.

Jordan, would you please define what exactly you mean by the term "ecumenical." That can mean different things to different people. EXAMPLE: I know of some Baptists who will have nothing to do with other Baptists simply because one of them held a VBS that used materials that wasn't put out by a Baptist organization---therefore they were considered to be "ecumenical."