1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are SBC Seminaries easier than TEDS/DTS/G-C?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, May 27, 2005.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

With the exception of SBTS, are the SBC seminaries easier than the major evangelical seminaries?

I keep hearing how easy NOBTS was/is, etc.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

One factor to keep in mind is that things can be hard without being good. A school can load on the assignments and require a lot of reading, memorization of material, and cranking out of papers without offering a superior education.

The perfect mix is probably yet to be found. And even then, it wouldn't fit all students.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

I don't know about NOBTS in Louisiana, but its North Georgia campus in Decatur, GA, is, IMO, quite easy. I took several extension courses there in 1995 and found them to be college-level, at best. I have a friend who, with permission from SBTS, took a course in Decatur about five years ago and was dismayed at how easy it was. This same friend later taught two semesters there as an adjunct for bachelor's courses. He found the students expected light requirements and the administration had him reduce his. I had thought his original requirements to be moderately rigorous.

On the other hand, I took several SEBTS extension courses in Augusta, GA, during the mid-90's. Professors were flown down to Augusta. These courses were more rigorous and more helpful than those offered at the NOBTS extension. I have no trouble recommending SEBTS.
    Bill

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I did my MDiv work at Midwestern and I am currently working on a DMin at Southern and I found both to be challenging. Of course, a few of the classes for my MDiv were of college level work, but the majority were challenging and worthwhile.

From talking with friends that have attended non-SBC semniaries and considering the current culture and academic world I think all of the major seminaries are about equal. None of them are probably what they should be or could be, but if you are willing to put the effort and discipline into it, you can get a quality education at one of these seminaries.

5. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

As a partial answer, take a look at language requirements to enter the Ph.D. programs. Some of the SBC schools require only 1 class of Greek/Hebrew at the intermediate level, and one of the other at the beginning level.

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello!

You all knew that I just had to get in here on this one.

If ever there was an "apples and oranges" question/issue this has to be it--IMO!

How can one person who has probably done two different degrees from two respective seminaries possibly give an evaluation. Did the person do two (2) MDiv's? Were one of the Master's degrees an MA/ThM vs the MDiv? Too many variables!

I don't want to be the one "who tooteth his own horn," but I would probably be one of the best on the BB to speak to this. It would still be a major undertaking.

Someone asked me "once upon a time" what academic program/school (out of the many I have attended) was the more/most difficult?

I responded, "The one I am in now (presently, whatever it was)!" It may be because I am not the typical "A Student" who has done doctoral work. I have had to fight "tooth and toenail" for every "A" or "B" I have ever received. I am a "B+"/"A-" student.

I have attended three Master's level programs in religion/theology over the years; one Church of Christ university grad school of religion, one (rather liberal) Ecumenical seminary, one SBC seminary (Southern under Al Mohler). I have Master's degrees from two of these institutions. They were all very difficult!! There were no "gimmes" at all, any place, under any circumstance!!

Now let me give one priviso. At different times in different places there was a course here or there that was not as rigorous. This may have been due to my personal like/dislike of the course or material at the time. But, all in all I have never had it easy in ANY program where I have attended or received a degree.

Based on my experience and perspective, I don't know how this question can be answered with any degree of equity or accuracy.

My two cents worth!

sdg!

rd

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

True.

But I ask it because SBC friends tell me how weak academically some of their seminaries are. One told me that a D.Min. at Gordon-Conwell was more rigorous academically than a Ph.D. at NOBTS. He himself earned his D.Min. at Duke.