1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are some Baptists "historic revisionists " ?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by lakeside, May 14, 2015.

1. lakeside

lakeside New Member

PreachTony, exactly. bishops then as today are the only clergy that are in charge of how they run their diocese. Although those individual bishops, as was St. Paul back then, must still adhere strictly to the doctrinal teachings of Christ's true Apostolic church. All those real Christian churches back then were all under the same umbrella of same doctrinal teaching, same thing today with all real apostolic churches worldwide believing and teaching same doctrine of Sacred Scripture / Apostolic Teaching.

2. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Salty, I can't find one on the word Trinity either but I know it is explained implicitly, same goes for the word Purgatory. Maybe your personal Bible is lacking some Books that Jesus and His Apostles quoted from. The Bible tells us not to add or take away from Bible, but unfortunately some of your non-Catholic founding fathers left out like seven books. The Catholic Church never added any of those books that your non-Catholic founders left out because those books were used by Jesus along with his apostles. But anyways, for me just using the NT I can find the implicit explanation of Purgatory.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely right - there are several passages about the Trinity.

So what passages explain Purgatory.

4. lakeside

lakeside New Member

John 20: 19-23, Jesus gives His Authority to forgive sins. Proverbs 28:13, 2 nd Cor.2: 10, Jesus wants His apostles to give this power to others because He died to save all men from sin. 1 Tim.2: 3-4 . I gave the wrong answer, those verses are for forgiving sins by his apostles and their successors.

5. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Salty, Purgatory- 1st Cor.3: 14-15; Matt.5:26; you go to heaven after Purgatory Psalms 41 or 42: 3 and of course 2nd Machabees 12: 39-46,

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Now take each passage and show how they supposedly teach the doctrine of Purgatory.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

That would be interesting.

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

When you start with a false premise, the only thing that can follow is a false conclusion. There were no bishops in the Catholic meaning in the NT. A NT bishop was simply the pastor of a local church. The terms "bishop", "pastor", "elder", overseer", presbyter", were synonyms for the same office. And the NT knows nothing of a "diocese".

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realizes that the King James Version, 1611 edition did include the apocrypha

10. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

What? And here I thought Peter was traveling from Jerusalem to Rome in his own Popemobile...
    [​IMG]

11. lakeside

lakeside New Member

DHK, here are the explanation to those verses you asked for, plus I included a few more, Matt. 5:26,18:34; Luke 12:58-59 – Jesus teaches us, “Come to terms with your opponent or you will be handed over to the judge and thrown into prison. You will not get out until you have paid the last penny.” The word “opponent” (antidiko) is likely a reference to the devil (see the same word for devil in 1 Pet. 5:8) who is an accuser against man (c.f. Job 1.6-12; Zech. 3.1; Rev. 12.10), and God is the judge. If we have not adequately dealt with satan and sin in this life, we will be held in a temporary state called a prison, and we won’t get out until we have satisfied our entire debt to God. This “prison” is purgatory where we will not get out until the last penny is paid.

Matt. 5:48 - Jesus says, "be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect." We are only made perfect through purification, and in Catholic teaching, this purification, if not completed on earth, is continued in a transitional state we call purgatory.

Matt. 12:32 – Jesus says, “And anyone who says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but no one who speaks against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven either in this world or in the next.” Jesus thus clearly provides that there is forgiveness after death. The phrase “in the next” (from the Greek “en to mellonti”) generally refers to the afterlife (see, for example, Mark 10.30; Luke 18.30; 20.34-35; Eph. 1.21 for similar language). Forgiveness is not necessary in heaven, and there is no forgiveness in hell. This proves that there is another state after death, and the Church for 2,000 years has called this state purgatory.

Luke 12:47-48 - when the Master comes (at the end of time), some will receive light or heavy beatings but will live. This state is not heaven or hell, because in heaven there are no beatings, and in hell we will no longer live with the Master.

Luke 16:19-31 - in this story, we see that the dead rich man is suffering but still feels compassion for his brothers and wants to warn them of his place of suffering. But there is no suffering in heaven or compassion in hell because compassion is a grace from God and those in hell are deprived from God's graces for all eternity. So where is the rich man? He is in purgatory.

1 Cor. 15:29-30 - Paul mentions people being baptized on behalf of the dead, in the context of atoning for their sins (people are baptized on the dead’s behalf so the dead can be raised). These people cannot be in heaven because they are still with sin, but they also cannot be in hell because their sins can no longer be atoned for. They are in purgatory. These verses directly correspond to 2 Macc. 12:44-45 which also shows specific prayers for the dead, so that they may be forgiven of their sin.

Phil. 2:10 - every knee bends to Jesus, in heaven, on earth, and "under the earth" which is the realm of the righteous dead, or purgatory.

2 Tim. 1:16-18 - Onesiphorus is dead but Paul asks for mercy on him “on that day.” Paul’s use of “that day” demonstrates its eschatological usage (see, for example, Rom. 2.5,16; 1 Cor. 1.8; 3.13; 5.5; 2 Cor. 1.14; Phil. 1.6,10; 2.16; 1 Thess. 5.2,4,5,8; 2 Thess. 2.2,3; 2 Tim. 4.8). Of course, there is no need for mercy in heaven, and there is no mercy given in hell. Where is Onesiphorus? He is in purgatory.

Heb. 12:14 - without holiness no one will see the Lord. We need final sanctification to attain true holiness before God, and this process occurs during our lives and, if not completed during our lives, in the transitional state of purgatory.

Heb. 12:23 - the spirits of just men who died in godliness are "made" perfect. They do not necessarily arrive perfect. They are made perfect after their death. But those in heaven are already perfect, and those in hell can no longer be made perfect. These spirits are in purgatory.

1 Peter 3:19; 4:6 - Jesus preached to the spirits in the "prison." These are the righteous souls being purified for the beatific vision.

Rev. 21:4 - God shall wipe away their tears, and there will be no mourning or pain, but only after the coming of the new heaven and the passing away of the current heaven and earth. Note the elimination of tears and pain only occurs at the end of time. But there is no morning or pain in heaven, and God will not wipe away their tears in hell. These are the souls experiencing purgatory.

Rev. 21:27 - nothing unclean shall enter heaven. The word “unclean” comes from the Greek word “koinon” which refers to a spiritual corruption. Even the propensity to sin is spiritually corrupt, or considered unclean, and must be purified before entering heaven. It is amazing how many Protestants do not want to believe in purgatory. Purgatory exists because of the mercy of God. If there were no purgatory, this would also likely mean no salvation for most people. God is merciful indeed.

Luke 23:43 – many Protestants argue that, because Jesus sent the good thief right to heaven, there can be no purgatory. There are several rebuttals. First, when Jesus uses the word "paradise,” He did not mean heaven. Paradise, from the Hebrew "sheol," meant the realm of the righteous dead. This was the place of the dead who were destined for heaven, but who were captive until the Lord's resurrection. Second, since there was no punctuation in the original manuscript, Jesus’ statement “I say to you today you will be with me in paradise” does not mean there was a comma after the first word “you.” This means Jesus could have said, “I say to you today, you will be with me in paradise” (meaning, Jesus could have emphasized with exclamation his statement was “today” or “now,” and that some time in the future the good thief would go to heaven). Third, even if the thief went straight to heaven, this does not prove there is no purgatory (those who are fully sanctified in this life – perhaps by a bloody and repentant death – could be ready for admission in to heaven).

Gen. 50:10; Num. 20:29; Deut. 34:8 - here are some examples of ritual prayer and penitent mourning for the dead for specific periods of time. The Jewish understanding of these practices was that the prayers freed the souls from their painful state of purification, and expedited their journey to God.

Baruch 3:4 - Baruch asks the Lord to hear the prayers of the dead of Israel. Prayers for the dead are unnecessary in heaven and unnecessary in hell. These dead are in purgatory.

Zech. 9:11 - God, through the blood of His covenant, will set those free from the waterless pit, a spiritual abode of suffering which the Church calls purgatory.

2 Macc. 12:43-45 - the prayers for the dead help free them from sin and help them to the reward of heaven. Those in heaven have no sin, and those in hell can no longer be freed from sin. They are in purgatory. Luther was particularly troubled with these verses because he rejected the age-old teaching of purgatory. As a result, he removed Maccabees from the canon of the Bible.

If you don't comprehend it's because you have one of those wrong Protestant interpretations, you know what I mean, one out of many thousands of different conflicting interpretations which just about every Protestant "thinks" there interpretation is the correct interpretation, but of course not one Protestant interpretation is the right interpretation, DHK, why not start a thread on "The One Correct Interpretation" if you think that the early Christians never had the right one. The Catholic Church has always { for the past Two-Thousand years }used the Holy Spirit's Interpretation, the very same Interpretation assigned to those members of the Church that Christ left for all of us. That Holy Spirited guided Interpretation was good enough for you when it comes to accepting your holy Books found in your completed Holy Bible, but now all you Protestants have denounced that interpretation because Real History tells us that it was the Bishops { along with the guidance of the H S ] of the C. Church that decided which Books were Canonical and which weren't, once your founding Protestant protesters [ of God's Church } realized that it really was the Catholic Church they came up with idea to reject accepting verse's such as { 2 Peter 3:16; John 20:30; 2Thess.2: 15 ] if you Protestants accept those previous verses then you would find your whole position collapsing in ruins.

12. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

LOL

Well, it would have been pulled by a camel or something in the first century.

I'm sure he would have worn a mitre, too, just as the picture shows. :)

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is simply a parable showing us the importance of forgiveness and that is all.
    The trouble here is that Christ did not use the KJV. :laugh:
    It is the Greek that is inspired. And the word "perfect" means "complete."
    Every Christian is "complete in Christ," but no Christian is "perfect." That is a 17th century word that had a slightly different meaning over 400 years ago when the KJV was written.

(WNT) You however are to be complete in goodness, as your Heavenly Father is complete.
    How ridiculous!
    First, the context. Don't pull Scripture out of context!
    Mat 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
    --Jesus healed one that was blind and dumb. He was also possessed by an evil spirit.

Mat 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
    --The Pharisees attributed this miracle to another spirit, not the Spirit of God; they attributed it to Satan (specifically "Lord of the flies," as the name means).

Mat 12:27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
    --Jesus rebuke and rebuttal. If He cast spirits out by the devil, then which power did they use?

Then His conclusion (which you have taken out of context)
    Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
    Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
    --The Pharisees had attributed the works of Jesus done through the Spirit of God to Satan, an evil spirit. They, being in the flesh, had heard Jesus in the flesh, work miracles. They had heard him, seen him, and witnessed his miracles. Now they were attributing those very miracles to Satan when they should be attributing them to God the Holy Spirit and admitting that Christ was deity.
    This was blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, a sin which I do not believe can be committed today.

--Contrary to what you say, it does not say there is forgiveness after death; it says there is no forgiveness after death, none whatsoever!
    --It proves quite the opposite, that there is no purgatory.
    This is a parable that has to do with the Coming of the Lord:
    uk 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
    Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
    Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
    Luk 12:49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?
    --When he comes there will be judgment. All will stand before him (here he is speaking of unbelievers, specifically the Jews), and each will receive according to their due. Read the rest of the chapter and put it into context.
    The simple truth is: Will you be prepared for his Coming. Are you then prepared to stand before him at the Judgment. As an unbeliever you will be judged according to your works, and will receive punishment according to your deeds. Of course the Jews looked forward to entering the Kingdom, and Christ may have been speaking of His Coming before entering into the Kingdom as the Jews expected--nothing to do with heaven, hell or purgatory.

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    --That is not what the Scripture says.
    1. Paul refers to a pagan practice of "baptism of the dead," and that is what it was--pagan. Notice, he uses the word "Those" who baptize for the dead, not "we." It was an argument used against the resurrection, in contradistinction to the resurrection. Baptism did not bring new life; did not bring about a resurrection. You are describing a Mormon practice, a Hindu practice, but not a Christian practice.
    2. Maccabees is not in the Scriptures, is inspired; I don't have to deal with that.
    Those that add to the scriptures every plague that is in the book shall be added unto them.
    What does that verse say:
    Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    Every knee shall bow to Christ. Period. There is no purgatory. No matter where you are or have been, you will bow the knee to Christ. Don't read into scripture that which is not there.
    Even if you are on the planet Mars by that time, you cannot escape God; or His judgment.
    You don't know what you are talking about and you are taking the verse out of context.
    First:
    2Ti 4:16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
    --Paul had already stood before Nero once. No one came to his defense. He stood alone.
    2Ti 4:19 Salute Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus.
    --What gives you the idea that Onesiphorus is dead. He is not.

2Ti 1:16 The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:
    2Ti 1:17 But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me.
    2Ti 1:18 The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.
    --It was Paul that was in prison and Onesiphorus came to help him, refresh him, as it were. There is nothing eschatological about this passage at all. Paul doesn't salute dead people. How ridiculous.
    In verse 18 Paul doesn't pray for dead people, contrary to RCC teaching. If you must know "where," Onesiphorus was in Ephesus!

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have complete and entire holiness right now and that is why if I died right now I would go to heaven. When the Lord looks down on me, he does not see sin (that has all been forgiven) he sees the holiness and righteousness of Jesus Christ. There is no purgatory. A belief in purgatory is to spit in the face of Christ telling him that his blood was not sufficient; his sacrifice was too little; his payment for sins was not enough. It is a blasphemous doctrine!
    There is no purgatory.
    Look at another translation:
    (ISV) to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, to a judge who is the God of all, to the spirits of righteous people who have been made perfect,
    "the spirits of the righteous who have been made perfect." That is the meaning of this verse.
    No, that is not what this is.

1Pe 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
    1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
    --These were very evil spirits that directly disobeyed or rebelled against God, causing the Flood. They have been designated a special place of suffering. Verse 19 is better translated: "proclaimed victory." He did not go there preaching the gospel. There is no second chance. You know very well that Purgatory is for believers not for the damned. These rebellious spirits are part of Satan's minions. Are you telling me that Satan and his demons will be in Purgatory and then in heaven?? Ludicrous!!!!
    Hogwash!
    This is a description of the "eternal state" the new heaven and the new earth, as compared to the old, or even the Millennial Kingdom. It is a comparison and that is all. There is no mention of a purgatory.
    Did you know that there are aliens from Mars in the Bible? They came from another solar system. They once invaded our planet. Some of them still inhabit our earth and dwell in caves in South Dakota somewhere near Mt. Rushmore. There is a branch of the U.S. air force currently looking into this. It is all true!! Do you know how I know all this? The same way you know that there is a Purgatory. It is all in the Bible. I can point it out to you. Verse by verse if you like. You can read anything into the Bible that you want to.
    An argument from silence is no argument at all.

An argument from silence is no argument at all!
    This is speaking of the eternal state--a new heaven and a new earth. It is a simple comparison. There is no purgatory here.

That is the same argument that the J.W.'s use. Are you among the cults?
    My answer--yes. It doesn't prove a purgatory. It is an argument from silence.

God's understanding was that if they prayed to the dead it was necromancy and they were stoned to death. They didn't pray for the dead either as their eternal destiny was already set, and they knew it!
    --In Genesis 50:10, for example, just like today, They mourned!
    There is no prayer for the dead, to the dead, etc. Why the deception?
    Why the lies? There is no purgatory.
    This book is not inspired; it is more like a fable.

15. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Rebel post #92, God always prevails, same goes for His Church, it has weathered many a storm, but is still with us after two- thousand years and still will be here till He returns. People as you insulted Jesus now you insult His Church.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is nothing here called purgatory.
    What is the context?

Zec 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
    Zec 9:10 And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.
    Zec 9:11 As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.
    --It speaks a bit of His first coming, but the major part is about the Second Coming of Christ when He will put down the enemies of Israel and set up His Kingdom "from sea to sea." Nothing to do with the imaginary fable of Purgatory.
    --Not an inspired book. No time for such nonsense.

The early Christians did not believe in Purgatory. It was an invention of man. It is not found in the Bible. It is found as much as aliens from Mars and their spaceships landing in South Dakota. Both Purgatory and the alien story can be proven on an equal basis--called eisigesis.
    The RCC has never used the Holy Spirit, never had the Holy Spirit to use.
    One of the first acts of the RCC was to go and slaughter people by the sword of Constantine. The Holy Spirit does not act that way.
    By a papal bull of Innocent III they wiped out the Albigenses. Truly an act of God, don't you think? Of course in your mind that is how Godly people should act--through bloody inquisitions and crusades.
    The RCC had nothing to do with giving us the Scriptures.
    It is God that gave us the Scriptures and God that preserved the Scriptures to this day, in spite of the fact that the RCC was found burning Bibles and doing their best to keep the Word of God out of the hands of the common person.

No, the RCC is doing its best to send people to hell through a false gospel.

17. lakeside

lakeside New Member

DHK, your Bibles are all Protestants, the early followers of Jesus never used any Protestant Bibles, only Apostolic Bibles.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have no idea what you are talking about.
    I check any questionable verse with the Greek NT, the same Greek that your English translation came from. The NT, all NT's came from Greek MSS. You don't have a different Bible, just a different translation. It doesn't matter to me what translation I use. Purgatory is not in any of them. It has to be read into the Bible from an argument of silence--just like aliens from Mars and spaceships landing in South Dakota. They both have the same evidence--none!!

19. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is it really biblical for us to allow these Roman Catholic Heretics to be running around here promoting their soul damning false doctrines?

Why don't we ban Catholics who deny salvation by grace through faith alone?

20. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its a debate forum. Plenty of voices to call them out on their doctrines.