1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are tattoos a badge of courage?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Craigbythesea, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I had one grandmother who wore very large and gaudy clip on earrings and one grandmother who had pierced ears and wore very tiny earrings. I liked the look of the smaller earrings and had a friend pierce my ears for me when I was 15.

Back then, I don't think I every considered NOT wearing any earring as all adult women wore something. (1950's)

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Yeah, it's just kind of norm these days to wear earrings. Just like I think for many military men it's norm to tattoo your military branch on you.

I just remembered I had a friend who was very much a Christian and he got a tattoo of his fraternity emblem. He even went to a Christian college. Maybe it really isn't that different than ear piercing, other than it just lasts longer. Still doesn't mean I would do it. :eek:

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

If you don't wear any earrings for a while the hole will close up.

If you don't touch a tattoo, will it disappear?

Tattoos are a little more permanent.

However, I would be much more willing to accept someone who had a tattoo than a man who wore an earring.

4. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Hmmm....now that's not fair.

5. Servent

Servent Member

I was not a christian when I got mine, not in the service at the time either. The first one was a yellow rose with my wifes name under it, the 2nd is a rebel hound dog my wife picked it out. I still like them both. So does she.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Natters, My whole argument is that one should consider the intent of their heart.

IMO, rebellion and keeping pace with the fads of the world are the issue. My wife wears jewelry in an attractive, conservative way. It enhances her beauty. Same with make-up.

She does want her appearance to honor me. She did not run out and get a navel piercing or piercings all the way up and around her ear just because it became fashionable.

BTW, I am no accusing anyone nor asking you to accept the principle I believe scripture teaches. This is a personal conviction and something I believe is consistent with the Bible's standard of Christian conduct.

7. natters

natters New Member

Kinda hard to consider what one cannot see. Unless you're the type to make assumptions. ;)

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I will be getting a tattoo of my unborn childs hand over my heart when he / she is born this fall. I don't consider this immature or stupid, rather a reminder how little my child was at one point, how much I love him / her, and how I am responsible to raise him /her to know and love the Lord whenever I look in the mirror.

For those against tattoo's, what is your thinking on hair transplants? Weight loss? Make-up? Hair gel? To single out one thing and use the others makes you a hypocrite.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Hair coloring, lip enlargement, breast augmentation, nail polish, permanent eyeliner, etc....

Webdog, I think that's a very precious idea!

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda hard to consider what one cannot see. Unless you're the type to make assumptions. ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Actually- no. To be honest, when I see someone with a tattoo or a guy with an earring I tend to watch for other signs of worldly compromise so I will know how to scripturally relate to the person but I don't automatically make the assumption that the person is ungodly.

One of my best friends who is in his mid-40's started getting tattoos on his arms within the last year. His commemorate his army service and unit. Its something very close to his heart. I would consider this a fairly benign motive. The decision doesn't seem to be to follow a fad nor is it particularly for God's glory.

This friend is a Christian and I do not question his relationship with the Lord based on this decision.

My call is for my Christian brothers and sisters to consider themselves and their motives on this one.

11. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Servent wrote,

[​IMG] :rolleyes: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. natters

natters New Member

Rebellion is not always bad. Depends what you're rebelling against. ;)

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

1Sa 15:22
    And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
    1Sa 15:23
    For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Apparently God disagrees with your view of rebellion! [​IMG] [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim