1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are The Letters Of Apostle Paul ALL that We gentiles need to heed?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. beameup

beameup Member

Apostle Peter 2 Pet 3:15-17
    And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul
    also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
    As also in all his [Paul's] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things
    hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest [wrestle with],
    as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction [false doctrine].
    Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things [spoken of by Paul] before,
    beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

#21 beameup, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So what's your point there man?

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

A very strong case against those who seem to confuse Paul with Jesus Christ.

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Jesus told us which scriptures to use, and which not.

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I meant 12-out types.

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Strange that Hypers would have see paul alone for theology, as John wrote to the Church, and had a message from Jesus Himself for the Church!

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, it states that Jesus came "in the volume of the book to do Thy will, O Father". So we need them all, but we need to use the NT for how we are to live nowadays.

8. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

When Jesus was on the mount of transfiguration, His followers saw Moses and Elijah talking with Him. They wanted to build altars to each, but God said listen to my Son. When Jesus was teaching them, it says He taught them out of the Law and Prophets the things concerning Himself. Paul did the same. Not everything in the OT is for us, unless it concerns Jesus, or the promise. It is about knowing Him.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

To add to this most excellent post, Elijah and Moses were under the Law, and God was telling them to hear Jesus, who was going to redeem them from the curse of the Law.

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not under the letter of the law, but rather the spirit of the law (2 Cor. 3).
    We do not walk after the flesh, but after the spirit (Rom. 8:1).

Dispensationalists would have us believe that the law in its entirety has nothing to do with Christianity today. As somewhat of a "New Covenant Theologian," I agree that we are not under a literal Sabbath day, feasts, and sacrifices. Why? Not because the law is distinctly for another people for their justification, but because the ordinances of the law were types and shadows fulfilled in Christ. We still follow the law, but in its spirit found in the New Covenant made with "the house of Israel" to which we were grafted in.

I cannot accept the perspective of dispensationalism that appears to have God simply giving "arbitrary" laws to different people to "test" them because it argues that there is no singularity of law that necessarily reflects the eternal moral unity of God. Does that mean we need to sacrifice a goat today? No! Not because a separate people had a separate system of laws from God, but rather because God reveals the totality of His one eternal moral code progressively as it pertains to His infallible plan in the Person and Work of Jesus Christ upon which the entire universe is centered.

11. beameup

beameup Member

In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. Rom 2:16

12. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 2:26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
    Rom 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
    Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
    Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter
    ; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Rom 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
    Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
    Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ
    unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament [or covenant]; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
    2Co 3:14 But their minds were blinded [cf. Rom. 11:25]: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

2Co 4:1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry [of the new covenant, cf. 3:6], as we have received mercy, we faint not;
    2Co 4:2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
    2Co 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
    2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not [cf. Rom. 11:25], lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
    2Co 4:5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants [or ministers, cf. 3:6] for Jesus' sake.

Paul's "my gospel" is also the "our gospel" is also "the glorious gospel of Christ" is also the "ministry of the new covenant." The gospel that Paul preached is that of the New Covenant prophesied to Israel in which we are grafted. Paul (and we) are "able ministers of the New Covenant." Dispensationalism would have us separate from any covenants.

No! Paul's ministry was not a new "mystery" program with a different gospel for a different people. The "mystery" was that, in the unfolding of prophetic fulfillment of the New Covenant, the Gentiles would be "fellow heirs and of the same body."

Paul referred to "the kingdom of God" just as did the other apostles (Acts 14:22; 19:8; 20:25; 28:23,31; Romans 11:17; 1 Corinthians 4:20; 6:9-10; 15:24,50; Galatians 5:21; Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 1:13; 4:11; 1 Thessalonians 2:12; 2 Thessalonians 1:5; 4:1,18).
    He referred to the Church, which is His Body as a "the flock of God" just as did Jesus and Peter (Acts 20:28-29 cf. John 10:16; 1 Peter 5:2-3).

Paul's "my gospel" was NOT a different gospel. It was the same gospel tailored to the distinctiveness of Gentiles.

Gal 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
    Gal 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

If one must be physically circumcised to be a member of Israel as a people of God according to Pauline dispensationalism, how can the "Israel of God" (as distinct from "the Body of Christ") have the peace and mercy of God upon them by walking according to the rule that "neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision"?!

13. beameup

beameup Member

It is good to have a strong foundation before you build upon it.

According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder,
    I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.
    H.S. through Paul, 1 Cor 3:10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gal 1:11-12 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
    For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the [direct] revelation of Jesus Christ.

Direct revelation from Jesus Christ to Paul thus bypassing the Old Testament and "the twelve" in Jerusalem.

#33 beameup, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011